Thread: Public Holiday for death of Queen Elizabeth II

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Default Public Holiday for death of Queen Elizabeth II

Come on Albo, Why? The economy is heading down the shitter now, we don't need this crap.

Cheers
    Ted (Al)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-09-22),gulliver (11-09-22),shred (11-09-22),tollspd (12-09-22),wotnot (11-09-22)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,525 Posts

+1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Come on Albo, Why? The economy is heading down the shitter now, we don't need this crap.

It is out of respect for the Queen and also because most Australians only knew 1 monarch.

in any case if our economy is so flimsy that it can't withstand 1 extra one off public holiday then it won't withstand the reserve bank increasing interest rates any further. something that Philip Lowe has made clear he will continue to do.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bazzy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (12-09-22)

Thanks

not a recurring holiday so a once off cant see an issue.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    It is out of respect for the Queen
    Can't see how a Public Holiday shows respect to the former Queen, I had the utmost respect for the Queen, can't say much for the rest of that lot but a PH? I don't see why.

and also because most Australians only knew 1 monarch.
    ...and? so what? Where is the relevance?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Can't see how a Public Holiday shows respect to the former Queen, I had the utmost respect for the Queen, can't say much for the rest of that lot but a PH? I don't see why.

...and? so what? Where is the relevance?
    There are people in Australia that this is affecting more than others. it gives them time off to reflect on it.

If you don't want to acknowledge the public holiday feel free to volunteer that day to your employer or your business.

or is it about forcing other people to work?

I mean why not go over other public holidays too?
    Do you have an issue with other public holidays?

I mean lets talk about them

New years day. that really doesn't have a purpose. the calendar resets to January 1 who cares. it can go.

Christmas day and boxing day are religious holidays specific to the christian religion. strictly speaking the argument could be made that they are not relevant to other faiths.
    Same with good friday, easter sunday and easter monday. perhaps we should delete all of them?

Australia day is commemorating the establishment of British colonization of Australia, that happened in 1788 if my history serves me correctly. its a holiday that serves as a point of contention between many Australian people and celebrates an event that happened hundereds of years ago so perhaps get rid of that one we don't need to disrupt businesses from making profit.

Anzac day is still relevant because it honors all wars so that can stay but how about labour day. that is to celebrate the 8 hour working day. considering the current ethics of businesses these days considering the expectation of working hours that really has no relevance either so it can go.

so would that be better? if we only have Anzac day. that should be good for the economy keep those businesses nice and rich.

Premium Member
    Thanks

There are people in Australia that this is affecting more than others. it gives them time off to reflect on it.

If you don't want to acknowledge the public holiday feel free to volunteer that day to your employer or your business.

or is it about forcing other people to work?

I mean why not go over other public holidays too?
    Do you have an issue with other public holidays?

I mean lets talk about them

New years day. that really doesn't have a purpose. the calendar resets to January 1 who cares. it can go.

Christmas day and boxing day are religious holidays specific to the christian religion. strictly speaking the argument could be made that they are not relevant to other faiths.
    Same with good friday, easter sunday and easter monday. perhaps we should delete all of them?

Australia day is commemorating the establishment of British colonization of Australia, that happened in 1788 if my history serves me correctly. its a holiday that serves as a point of contention between many Australian people and celebrates an event that happened hundereds of years ago so perhaps get rid of that one we don't need to disrupt businesses from making profit.

Anzac day is still relevant because it honors all wars so that can stay but how about labour day. that is to celebrate the 8 hour working day. considering the current ethics of businesses these days considering the expectation of working hours that really has no relevance either so it can go.

so would that be better? if we only have Anzac day. that should be good for the economy keep those businesses nice and rich.
    Lol, finished your rant?

I actually work most of my Public Holidays, being an older guy with a family that is quite grown up, in the job I do somebody has to cover the Public Holidays, so I do it to allow the younger guys to be with their families and I’m sure there are many others on here that do the same, I have no problem with Public Holidays per se but to use the death of a monarch, on the other side of the world, as an excuse to have another extra Public Holiday makes no sense to me, but hey, that’s my opinion, I don’t begrudge you yours, as long as you don’t try to rubbish mine.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-09-22),enf (11-09-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

.... the death of a monarch, on the other side of the world....
    Factual, yes, but she was also the "Queen of Australia" as per our constitution.

Australia's Head of State is the Queen of Australia, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Under the Australian Constitution, executive power is exercised by the Governor‑General as the Queen's representative.
    The Governor-General is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister of Australia. The Prime Minister is Head of Government.

Each to their own, but I think this one-off holiday is far more deserving and relevant than the annual pre-grand final Australian Rules football holiday (in Victoria at least).

And for the record... I am working on that day too.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (11-09-22),eaglem (19-09-22),gulliver (13-09-22),RedXT (12-09-22),Uncle Fester (12-09-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I would suggest that the Public Holiday to honour the death of the Queen would be better on the day of the funeral that all who wished to could stop/stay up and watch it in real time.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22),gulliver (13-09-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Lol, finished your rant?

I actually work most of my Public Holidays, being an older guy with a family that is quite grown up, in the job I do somebody has to cover the Public Holidays, so I do it to allow the younger guys to be with their families and I’m sure there are many others on here that do the same, I have no problem with Public Holidays per se but to use the death of a monarch, on the other side of the world, as an excuse to have another extra Public Holiday makes no sense to me, but hey, that’s my opinion, I don’t begrudge you yours, as long as you don’t try to rubbish mine.
    I'm retired, but I spent years working shift work in the same situation as Al describes...

As far as respect goes, I'm for it even if it doesn't effect me. I think we'll survive.

Having a holiday for the AFL Grand Final however is f*cking obscene in my view. It's no wonder the economy is screwed.....jeeez.

I promise that out of respect on the Queens death holiday that I will not drink more beer than I do on any other day....hic!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22),RedXT (12-09-22),Uncle Fester (12-09-22)

Thanks

Lol, finished your rant?

it wasn't a rant. it was articulating my point. your are entitled to your opinion hence why i said that you can give up the public holiday to work instead rather than begrudging that there is a public day of morning because it will take an economical hit to the economy.

lsemmens i believe the reason that it is on the 22 is because the PM and senior officials will be in attendance on the 19th and it will be held at 8pm Australian time. I suspect there will be local events on the 22th here that Australians can participate in.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

More likely that the PM and and other senior officials don't want to miss having a day off..........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22),enf (12-09-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    More likely that the PM and and other senior officials don't want to miss having a day off..........
    Another trip for Airbus Albo.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

That is yet to be seen and my share holdings are also telling me otherwise.
    Farmers are reporting record produce, mining is great and there is so much work everywhere available we can't find enough employees, especially skilled ones.

People are still spending like crazy, maybe because some are getting pay increase or still have too much extra money.
    Now with this extra day off they have time and occasion to spend even more on the pokies or restaurants or go somewhere, heating up our economy just that tiny bit more to the annoyance of Phillip Lowe.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I would suggest that the Public Holiday to honour the death of the Queen would be better on the day of the funeral that all who wished to could stop/stay up and watch it in real time.
    I read somewhere that Canada is having a Public Holiday on that day....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONAXLE For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22),enf (14-09-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Get out of my way people and hand me a fvcking tissue. I have a rostered day off that day so I get shit for it.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22),enf (14-09-22)

Thanks

Only if you are a federal employee.

• The Following User Says Thank You to NoAIR For This Useful Post:

eaglem (19-09-22)