Thread: Starting over again - Chinasat 6b with 1.8mm solid

Thanks

Default Starting over again - Chinasat 6b with 1.8mm solid

Many many years ago I start off with a mesh 2.4m dish which mounting the pole is a pain. Recently I picked up a freebie 1.8m solid on its own frame. It has one lower bracket that has rusted off but can still level it and point it, looks ok to the eye. Ive been out of the game for sometime and thought i would easily pickup Chinasat 6B. Im using compass and google maps dish pointing so know where to aim it. made a cardboard in inclinometer which I put behind the lnb mount.

Im using azimuth and elevation of 317.34° & 36.47° for my location in melbourne. with a analog sat finder it doesnt seem to pickup anything. using blind scan on my box with 5150 single lnb. have the lnb similar to whata my mesh was setup with height at 38mark showing and skew -30ish degees. have tried to swivel dish manually to scan the patch of sky changing elevation very slowly.. still dont get anything on sat finder.

Unknown is the LNB, not sure if it works or how to test it to confirm if it can work.
    Label on LNB is long gone is Im assuming its a generic 5150 one ?
    dish was in the back of a ute with a cargo strap holding it down. not sure if dish can be out of shape slightly looks ok. structs for lnb are a little out of shape but looks rough enough good enough.
    Sat finder powers up so assuming my cabling is okay. I made my own with RG6 quad shield with cabling inside the house and used existing cabling for outside. using a F connector ribbon cable to get it though my window frame inside.

anytips to go from here

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Firstly consider the 5G challenge, have a read …
    In the old days before 5G a 1.8m would get you Chinasat 6B and Asiasat 7 …You can check if your LNB is doing anything. Place your hand on and off in front of the LNB throat blocking signal from LNB … You should see fluctuation on your analogue signal meter. If not the LNB has probably expired.

Thanks

Whao so if 5G interferance is an issue then a Solid 1.8M & mesh 2.3M is now useless without a wave guide ? Basically with the Sat finder and manually scanning the sky, I dont really hear a change of signal. sometimes I think I do but not certain since using a spanning to lock in the LNB gives a sightly higher signal while the spanner is in contact. definitely nothing like my Mesh dish where you can definately tell.

I might switch the LNB with my mesh which has been within a housing out of the elements, just have to figure out how to mount it since its more arrow than the bracket. the freebie solid LNB was exposed to the elements.

cheaper solution would be a $130 buck LNB with built in 5g Filter ?

Thanks
    Last edited by darkage; 15-09-22 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

Depends where you live, If you are far away from the tower or google it if the 5G signals is within your area.also the frequency you would like to receive, some frequencies affect more than others, You can tell if you have a signal meter ,It fluctuates or if you can borrow a spectrum analyser.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    Whao so if 5G interferance is an issue then a Solid 1.8M & mesh 2.3M is now useless without a wave guide ? Basically with the Sat finder and manually scanning the sky, I dont really hear a change of signal. sometimes I think I do but not certain since using a spanning to lock in the LNB gives a sightly higher signal while the spanner is in contact. definitely nothing like my Mesh dish where you can definately tell.

I might switch the LNB with my mesh which has been within a housing out of the elements, just have to figure out how to mount it since its more arrow than the bracket. the freebie solid LNB was exposed to the elements.

cheaper solution would be a $130 buck LNB with built in 5g Filter ?

Thanks
    I have spent so far over $1000 to get rid of the 5G RUBBISH. Because I have a 2.3M Mesh that sufferer on Asiasat 5 at 100 Deg east a total wipe out except for one transponder the BBC the rest of them both V and H was badly effected by 5G and ( same issues with other sats but not a bad as Asuiasat 5 and 7) I look at all Satellite from Express 103 at 96.5 to Intelsat 18 at 180 Deg east and if I use the recommended 5G LNBF that is 3.8 to 4.1GHZ not 3.7 to 4.2GHZ I will lose all transponder from 3.7 to 3.8 and 4.1 to 4.2 and that a lot so I tried Something different that is not recommended. Now I purchased this a
    , two 5G Filters, 3.7 to 4.2,
    and 2 X 5G LNB's and special HP scalar ring that cost extra.
    Once fitted and tuned it (skew and focal) I was disappointing but what I did I removed the 5G Filter itself and used only the Chapparal twin feed horn and the mini 5G 3.7 to 4.2 LNB's and bingo 98% of issue were gone. Remember all Transponders V and H were badly effected by 5G except for the BBC Channel on Asaiasat 5 but now I get ALL Of them perfectly except for some glitched on 4040H on some days. When it come to Asiasat 7 and above all it just about perfect now and the same goes to all other sats as when the dish climbs 138 to 166 Deg east its very good and even on Intealsat 18 at 180 Deg east the one and only channel on that transponder is ABC Australia that is RHCP not Horizontal but I get it very good as I have rated it 98% acceptable because it was GONE!!!! full of 5G rubbish before. ( Job Completed 6 weeks ago)

Now I also have a 1.8M Offset solid stuck on Intelsat 19 at 166 Deg East that uses a similar type of feed horn a twin standard LNB set up with two mini lnb's like the 2.3 Mesh and this dish had no 5G issues and only last week I was having for the first time issues with two transponders with 5G so because I like spares when fixed the issues with the 2.3 Mesh so I purchased two spare mini 5G Filtered LNB's and stuck them on my 1.8 offset Prodelin and once again its 100% success rate as the two Transponder on Intelsat 19 are 100% fixed and only 2 days ago I purchased two more 5G Filtered LNB's as spares.

Now to test the new issue I used the 2.3M mesh dish and stopped it on Intelsat 19 and those two transponders was NOT effected by 5G but the 1.8 Solid Offset was effected. Now the both have similar gain as the 1.8M dish is more efficient than the 2.3M Mesh dish so again the replacement of the 5G with the mini 5G filtered LNB like above done the trick. Yes I know they are 5G 3.7 to 4.2 GHZ (not recommended) not 3.8 to 4.1 LNb's where I will lose a few TX's on many sats.
    One again I used Chapparal twin type Feed horn on but dishes, maybe this is the trick why the 5G 3.7 to 4.2 work ok but the original kit with the FILTERS FAILED MISERABLY.

LOOKY, they are paperweight now

Thanks

thanks for all the input. I think I've locked onto a signal now but for some reason my remote is not working anymore on my Mediastar HD8200s which is a pain since its impossible to do a blind scan without it. Opened up the remote and getting power supplied from batteries fine. seems like remote is just dead not much to it except for IC. assuming thats what has gone... oh well.

Thanks

remote is not working anymore on my Mediastar HD8200s Opened up the remote and getting power supplied from batteries fine. .
    There's not much to these remote controls
    Check for dry solder of the led transmitter. If its slightly wobbly its the problem. use a knife to expose the leading tracks and re solder
    Use a magnifying glass and check for hairline cracks in the outer tracks
    Check for continuity using a multi meter.
    Last edited by B52; 19-09-22 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks

thanks for all the input. I think I've locked onto a signal now but for some reason my remote is not working anymore on my Mediastar HD8200s which is a pain since its impossible to do a blind scan without it. Opened up the remote and getting power supplied from batteries fine. seems like remote is just dead not much to it except for IC. assuming thats what has gone... oh well.

You can use your mobile phone, My mate a while back lost his remote control for his Openbox, There is an App floating in the net that you can download.It will allow you to use your mobile phone to navigate thru the menu in your satellite receiver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    There's not much to these remote controls
    Check for dry solder of the led transmitter. If its slightly wobbly its the problem. use a knife to expose the leading tracks and re solder
    Use a magnifying glass and check for hairline cracks in the outer tracks
    Check for continuity using a multi meter.
    Checked joints with a microscope they look okay but I could just reflow them. Checking online seems like you can get new remotes for $30 delivered.

Thanks

Checked joints with a microscope they look okay but I could just reflow them. Checking online seems like you can get new remotes for $30 delivered.
    Before you order a new remote do this.

Turn on your mobile phone camera and view the Infrared led. As you press any the remote keys you should see the led flashing through your camera viewer. If its not flashing order a new remote, if it does, this is a multi function remote.
    Press any key check the 2nd row center from the top the "STB: light comes on. If the right "DVD" or left TV.. comes on press the STB and all is good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Before you order a new remote do this.

Turn on your mobile phone camera and view the Infrared led. As you press any the remote keys you should see the led flashing through your camera viewer. If its not flashing order a new remote, if it does, this is a multi function remote.
    Press any key check the 2nd row center from the top the "STB: light comes on. If the right "DVD" or left TV.. comes on press the STB and all is good.
    Seems dead, no LED light on STB and no led flash via camera. I do have a Logitech universal remote that I never use.. have to figure out how to reprogam that again perhaps.

Edit - Seems like battery corrosion has weakened and snapped off one of the battery terminals behind the PCB which is hard to see. Better bodge wire is a success.. Got it working again.
    Last edited by darkage; 20-09-22 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Im not convinced that my satellite finder is either working correctly or theres something wrong with the dish or LNB. basically I cant really tell when I get better signal using the sat finder.. seems like sat finder doesnt really increase strength or I have some weird ground issue. sat finder may report increase in signal if I touch the sat dish..

Potential issues I can think of with current setup -

- Solid dish was in back of ute with cargo strap.. not sure if its that easy to bend out of shape.
    - LNB brackets are a bit crooked so feed horn may not be 100% flush with dish.
    - 2 LNBs dont really register anything. 1 has been kept out of the elements and was last working 6 years ago.
    - I am using some old coax cable that has been lying around for 10+ years. '
    - Using F connector ribbon to get cable into house via shut window. has been sitting there for 10+ years.

Action Plan -
    - Thinking of just picking up a 5g filters LNB wife likes watching Hunan TV on ChinaSat 6b thats at 3750H.. So I guess I need to pick a LNB that does min 3700, whats the most successful one at the moment for 5G ? Some like Mediastar G5053 Forum favourite might be the Mediastar A382 but that starts at 3.8GHZ.
    - Is there a way to check parabolic curvature of dish to make sure the focal point is still spot on.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Im not convinced that my satellite finder is either working correctly or theres something wrong with the dish or LNB. basically I cant really tell when I get better signal using the sat finder.. seems like sat finder doesnt really increase strength or I have some weird ground issue. sat finder may report increase in signal if I touch the sat dish..

Potential issues I can think of with current setup -

- Solid dish was in back of ute with cargo strap.. not sure if its that easy to bend out of shape.
    - LNB brackets are a bit crooked so feed horn may not be 100% flush with dish.
    - 2 LNBs dont really register anything. 1 has been kept out of the elements and was last working 6 years ago.
    - I am using some old coax cable that has been lying around for 10+ years. '
    - Using F connector ribbon to get cable into house via shut window. has been sitting there for 10+ years.

Action Plan -
    - Thinking of just picking up a 5g filters LNB wife likes watching Hunan TV on ChinaSat 6b thats at 3750H.. So I guess I need to pick a LNB that does min 3700, whats the most successful one at the moment for 5G ? Some like Mediastar G5053 Forum favourite might be the Mediastar A382 but that starts at 3.8GHZ.
    - Is there a way to check parabolic curvature of dish to make sure the focal point is still spot on.

might be the Mediastar A382 but that starts at 3.8GHZ.

Wont work

ChinaSat 6b thats at 3750H..

Will Check out later to see if I get It with my 3700-4200 5G LNB on my 2.3 Mesh dish (not lnbf)

Thanks

wife likes watching Hunan TV on ChinaSat 6b thats at 3750H..
    The whole satellite Chinasat 6B at 115 Deg East is fully stable for me. No 5G rubbish at all. I live between Gold Cost and Brisbane.

Last edited by Mr 672A; 22-09-22 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

My System is extremely good now. I check all Transponders on all Satellites that I have from Express 103 At 96.5 Deg East to Intelsat 18 180 Deg East. Now I'm talking about 20 or more Satellites with a combines over 100 Transponders and none of them give me any indication of 5G Rubbish. (Yes Cband only) Even the trouble some Asiasat 5 at 100 Deg east is 100% perfect and mainly 4040H its the one that has some pixalating but today its perfect, 100% perfect after watching it for 20 minutes. Its like on the Queens Holiday all mobile towers are turned OFF.

Spend over $900 to get it right, Also I purchased a Super Duper scalar ring. All Stainless Steel bolts and washers

Took me days and three tries to get it right as I stuffed the first 2 that I cut to get it right. + I panted it.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 22-09-22 at 02:25 PM.