Thread: Ru30120r

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Default Ru30120r

Help, I can't find this MOSFET anywhere here.

It should actually be quite common as it is in Victron Phoenix inverters!
    Maybe it is a custom part made for Victron, anyhow all the sources(from China) show zero stock and 6-16 weeks restocking time.
    In Ebay I just ordered the wrong one RU30120L for shits and giggles, it is the wrong package(maybe I can spot weld a third leg on it LOL) but could take until 28th November to get here and I need it now

Currently I got this inverter running using an IRFZ48N(have a whole bag of 'm) that timing wise and gate charge even supersedes the RU30120 but drain current is too low and on-resistance too high, would likely 'go up in smoke' if I put full load on it. It is the 500VA Phoenix.

The IRF3205(from another bag) has the power and comparable resistance but there must be something wrong with the gate as it triggers the overload LED, the specs from the data sheet are not that terribly far off although fall time is a bit slower, just strange that the circuit is so fussy about this, they are just push pulling a big 50 Hz toroid transformer with a +/-12V PWM signal around 200kHz.

I also can't find any comparison sites that list this MOSFET.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-09-22 at 10:16 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Best match I can find is Vishay SUP40012EL-GE3

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (21-09-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Best match I can find is Vishay SUP40012EL-GE3
    Timing looks good but input is 10nF, more than 3 x higher.
    Mouser charges $24 for postage alone, not willing to take the risk.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Ordered the IRFP064N on Ebay for 5 bucks. Gate cap just 1nF higher than the RU but its faster. Larger package works because they are all just standing in the air.
    Victron sees no need for heat sinks. All the heat is gobbled up in the toroid and they DO have overheating issues.

The SMART version is a disaster, whoever designed the cooling must have been on dope, as the heat only gets blown towards the back which is 1cm away from the wall so some hot air gets pushed back down towards the the transformer creating a thermal runaway effect.

Anybody interested, here a link of my experience with them(yes I posted it on their community forum):

I have only the old versions(non SMART) now that blow out the air sideways. They are are just simply better built and designed and luckily still available.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Gate capacitance only figures into switching frequency (and as much reflects back to the gate driver itself, which I dunno what is =)

IRFP064N is 10% short on max source/drain current, and it's bound to run hotter as it has 3 times the Rds value.

Like I say, Ru30120r is a bit of an odd-bod ..at least in through-hole ; better pickings in SMD...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Gate capacitance only figures into switching frequency (and as much reflects back to the gate driver itself, which I dunno what is =)

IRFP064N is 10% short on max source/drain current, and it's bound to run hotter as it has 3 times the Rds value.

Like I say, Ru30120r is a bit of an odd-bod ..at least in through-hole ; better pickings in SMD...
    There is a 12R0 (not 10R0 or 15R0) resistor in series to the gate so 10nF opposed to 3-4nF will make difference in that RC filter that is created.

I am having difficulty seeing 120A continuously going through the thin legs of a TO-220 package.
    It looks like 4 MOSFETs are working unison to deliver the 500W, so averaged out that would be only continuous 12.5A + losses per package at 10V before shutdown. Higher voltage obviously less amps.

The larger package of the IRFP064N has 40˚C/W to ambient while the TO-220 typically has over 60˚C/W, so it will comfortably dissipate that 1.25W from it's 8mΩ + the fan goes on around 300W.

Yes SMD makes a lot more sense than TO-220 at high amp ratings but it is clear to me that Victron are just after the very low RDS to avoid a heat sink and get a couple of watt more efficiency.

IRFP064N is the best I can find short term and my concern is getting the switching timing right to match the others.
    I will run it on a small 500W heater for an hour and see how it goes.