Thread: Powering a 12v Frig

Thanks

Default Powering a 12v Frig

Have been asked to come up with a wiring Diagram to power a small upright 12v Motorhome Frig. Its past history, it has run on 12v from a step down 240v box not in situ and not available and most recently from 12v from a battery under the passenger seat.

The new Frig comes with its own step down 240/12v DC box.

I have come up with 2 alternative circuits.
    1. With a Switch to switch between the 240/12v with Red LED light and, Green when switched to 12v Battery. The issue here is when the Power Plug is removed the owner may forget to turn the switch over to 12v and the frig will defrost.

2. The second uses Diodes to isolate the power supplies so that when connected to 240/12v supply, it will power the frig, but this power cannot get to the battery, and ditto when no 240Vac/12 is available the 12v battery will power the frig, but not get to the 240/12v box. Depending upon the Frig ( compressor) current rating, one of 2 diodes will be selected. With this option power will always be available to the Frig

I prefer option 1, to me its simpler and less issues eg diode issues , but has the potential for Frig defrosts.

Appreciate Comments

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

This switchover shizzle is built into most modern AC/DC fridges...but I'm take it the 240AC/12DC powerpak is a stand-alone stepdown,

Use a relay... see -->

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

BCNZ (01-11-22),PeterInSa (03-10-22),VroomVroom (05-10-22)