Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Yeah, I recall turning a quid out of rewinding power transformers before SMPS took over, putting the rewinds into a hot pot of lacquer bubbling away at 120C+ to displace moisture... smelt nice too, prolly carcinogenic ...lol...

You're likely being....lets go with 'biased', singling out martec as perp zero...ie; I'll bet you there's many brands of ceiling fan all using the same motor core, all over the world =)

Makes me wonder what the 'made in India' ceiling fans are like...

We've got AC fans here, quiet as a mouse, but that's not the crux of going DC fans -- they're more efficient, and as quiet as a well designed AC fan..which is less efficient and will always use more power than a DC fan to do that same job.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (25-11-22)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yeah, I recall turning a quid out of rewinding power transformers before SMPS took over, putting the rewinds into a hot pot of lacquer bubbling away at 120C+ to displace moisture... smelt nice too, prolly carcinogenic ...lol...

You're likely being....lets go with 'biased', singling out martec as perp zero...ie; I'll bet you there's many brands of ceiling fan all using the same motor core, all over the world =)

Makes me wonder what the 'made in India' ceiling fans are like...

We've got AC fans here, quiet as a mouse, but that's not the crux of going DC fans -- they're more efficient, and as quiet as a well designed AC fan..which is less efficient and will always use more power than a DC fan to do that same job.
    Excellent post, bring back memories of the old days when apprentices was painted on initiation on there private parts with lacquer, same with girl apprentices, they loved doing it to the boys and they got done but when one girl complained it was gone forever.
    Yes carcinogenic, the old days what that! That great smell, I use to put in in a honey jar and take it home so I can bake it on out OVEN at Home LOL,LOL,LOL Mum use to say Whats that smell when the oven heats up. Today all are pussies, all they want is compensation $$$$$$ just to be close to it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (25-11-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Yes carcinogenic, the old days what that! That great smell, I use to put in in a honey jar and take it home so I can bake it on out OVEN at Home LOL,LOL,LOL Mum use to say Whats that smell when the oven heats up. Today all are pussies, all they want is compensation $$$$$$ just to be close to it.
    ahhaaaaa - As an apprentice of Hydro Tasmania, stuck in Moonah in Winter where the Bridgewater Jerry disappeared at midday and reappeared at 1:30pm - the oven (and the Galv shop) was an awesome place to frequent when cold.......

Must mention Spirros and Poota

f
    有段者

Premium Member
    Thanks

....analogous science.... hooking in buzzing windings.....you can spend $1500+ on some of these new computer graphics cards, and if it's not already crazy that they're sucking 600+ watts of 12VDC to work, the buck regulator mosfets are rated 90A or more to feed the GPU core it's <1 VDC, and there 6 to 10 phases all doing the same job, and it's enough for the electronics mind to go 'fark me...I could go welding with that'.... =)

However, not all cards are equal, and there's cheap & nasty inductors and expensive good inductors, to the point that now the difference between a 'good' video card, and a 'bad' video card...both capable of the same performance.... is whether or not you hear 10+ inductors whining away when the card's in use... or not.... whacky times =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

I must have done something wrong as my post and two photos was deleted. Might have used the PREVIEW POST if so IDIOT
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 29-11-22 at 11:33 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Nah.... admin had an oops .... I did reply here, those are bleeder resistors to discharge the caps, nothing to do with motor control

If you don't have the switch contact configuration, we are guessing at that much

Thanks

Try again, in brief. both fans are identical except for there controller.

1/ Swapped both identical fans over from room to room
    2/ The new Fan the noisy one is not so noisy in a bigger room
    3/ The quite fan is slightly noisier on a smaller room but the small room is still around 8x6M
    4/ At the end of the day the new fan in a larger room is very,very, slightly noisier lots better than the new fan in a smaller room
    5/ both identical fans have different specs on the capacitors.
    6/ both fans used the same company to make the capacitors.

THE OLD FAN. Look at the specs of the capacitors, Take note the parallel resistance ? Hummmmmmm. Is this the reason why this fan is quieter.

THE NEW FAN. Look at the specs of the capacitors

Thanks

Nah.... admin had an oops .... I did reply here, those are bleeder resistors to discharge the caps, nothing to do with motor control

If you don't have the switch contact configuration, we are guessing at that much
    Understand the best way to discharge a capacitor.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Until you disassemble the motor, you will not find the cause =)

Thanks

As it stands today the New fan in a larger room is 100% acceptable, the older Fan in a smaller room is 100% acceptable. I purchased a spare capacitor, same values from ebay to fix the one of the old fans that had no low speed and it fixes. All I need now is to buy at least another 5 to fix 3 others fans and and keep 2 as spares and my job for the house fans are done.

Thanks

Until you disassemble the motor, you will not find the cause =)
    I understand. I will monitor this humming fan that does not hummm like it did before and if it does and I have time I will remove it to see if I can find anything. before this I would like to have some varnish if needed or just in case it needed.

Thanks

Tell me regarding the capacitors is the lower value "eg" 2uF over 3.5uF does the lower value 2uF mean higher speed. Now this is the one thing I want to know.
    Once again thanks for your knowledge

Thanks

Found this.

Does changing capacitor increase fan speed?

"when you increase the capacitance, the voltage across the capacitor decreases but that across the fan motor increases. Accordingly, the speed of the fan increases. In other words, you need to increase the capacitor value to increase the fan speed.17 Feb 2016

Premium Member
    Thanks

I would ultimately trust what my DMM told me, not just on the drawing.....but lets go with that's what martec used, and what they've drawn there doesn't include an 'off' position...m'kay? ....ie; when power is applied to this circuit with the switch in the 'low' position, fan spin!...slowly.

1uf across motive coil in low position ...this is typically the cap freakee1 was referring to up at the motor itself.

1uf + 1uf in parallel = 2uf across motive coil in med position

2uf + 1uf in parallel = 3uf across motive coil in hi position

The dual value capacitor part is C2 & C3 above ; the capacitance values have a lot to do with inductive armature design, but more capacitance = more phase shift and spinny thing go faster =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 30-11-22 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks

I would ultimately trust what my DMM told me, not just on the drawing.....but lets go with that's what martec used, and what they've drawn there doesn't include an 'off' position...m'kay? ....ie; when power is applied to this circuit with the switch in the 'low' position, fan spin!...slowly.

1uf across motive coil in low position ...this is typically the cap freakee1 was referring to up at the motor itself.

1uf + 1uf in parallel = 2uf across motive coil in med position

2uf + 1uf in parallel = 3uf across motive coil in hi position

The dual value capacitor part is C2 & C3 above ; the capacitance values have a lot to do with inductive armature design, but more capacitance = more phase shift and spinny thing go faster =)
    There is some movement on this, Martec contacted me and they coming out after I fill some papers. The Trouble is in the new larger (remember I swapped both Martec over) room the new fan that made the hummmm in the smaller room is quiet to a point with background noise that you just about cant hear it.. Hummmm.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

wotnot (02-12-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    There is some movement on this, Martec contacted me and they coming out after I fill some papers. The Trouble is in the new larger (remember I swapped both Martec over) room the new fan that made the hummmm in the smaller room is quiet to a point with background noise that you just about cant hear it.. Hummmm.
    Well that's something ~ big opportunity here for martec customer support to wipe some egg off their face, and earn some cred (in this forum at least).

Hopefully this has a happy ending 8)

Thanks

At least you're not alone....

You guess it MARTEC has refused to send anyone to our home to hear the defective fan so if they cant hear it these is no need to replace it. Its getting close to Christmas but in the new Year my goal will be to contact Department of Fair Trading and tell them martec should not sell defective fans or use Ebay to get rid of them because they might have a batch that hummm's like our one. Remember I have another similar martec Fan (no capital M as I dont respect them any more) that does not Hummm so they can make good one too.

Thanks

I also should have read productreview first. The other matter that has attracted my attention is one person that his origin FAN (martec) were ok and replace them with a flasher unit from martec and they were riddled with problem. I have produced two below complaints (more complaints available) and I think you get the driff.

The one that member wotnot found

Brisbane
    • 6 reviews
    • 10 likes

• Verified

Avoid Martec

published 6 years ago

I should have read reviews before buying!!! You live and learn but hopefully you won't make the same mistake and this review helps you.
    2 of my 4 brand new Martec fans are buzzing (motor noise on low speed). A technician came out and agreed 2 were indeed louder than normal. I was so relieved. Sadly, Martec flatly refused to offer replacement motors as they feel it's a normal noise. Madness! To safeguard customers I will shortly be uploading what I've filmed to YouTube and will be progressing legal action as soon as I've finished my latest renovation. I've had an independent inspection too prior to removal. In the meantime I've bought replacement LUCCI fans which come with a 6 speed remote control and are genuinely the quietest most efficient fans I've ever come across. Admittedly they were $25 more but OMG they're amazing and so worth it for the peace of mind. Sooooo quiet. You'd like to think Martec is a great brand who take pride in their company and their customer service, but seriously they were rude, abrupt and condescending. It's such a shame. Oh, and they even have a recorded message on their hold line saying their fans are noisy. It's crazy! I will never buy Martec again!

• Date PurchasedDec 2016

BONDI
    • 2 reviews
    • 9 likes

All 6 Fans are faulty

published 7 years ago

All six MARTEC ceiling fans I have bought through TWO electricians, are full of troubles. Noise, light interference ( frequency interference) in the middle of the night ...Over $1700 spent on these faulty Fans only to find out that their '4 season 'Model' have a remote control that does not allow a change of frequency. Their 'Lifestyle DLS 134 Model' has the same problems but the remote control allows the variation of frequency required, thus it is not covered by Warranty, so you have to spend $150 of your own money for an electrician to come and rectify, even though the fans were installed only the week before. The Company is not helpful at all, the 'switchboard' girls at Martec show complete ignorance ( eg; claim that you need to install the Fans on two separate circuits ... there is only ONE 'Light' circuit available in each apartment) and simply refuse to send a Technician to check. I read the reviews here and hope that you ALL take the matter with Fair Trading . This will ensure that others do not go through the same poor and very expensive exercise. I have two fights on my hands., one with the Electrician who supplied the Fans , was paid but has not rectified the problem, the other with Martec who claim they have a 2 year home warranty on those fans but refuse to honor their Warranty .

Premium Member
    Thanks

light interference ( frequency interference) in the middle of the night
    This is excluded under warranty, and related to for mains 'off peak' switching. As the capacitive speed controller includes no mains choke/filtering, ripple controller frequencies pass straight on through and 'ring' in the motor windings.

By the description you give, you're experiencing continuous 50Hz mains frequency buzzing, which is arguably an RMA (warranty) claim/issue. I know there is a 'point of proof' herein....for example, in your instance here, the fan is too noisy to use in one room, too noisy in another room, and in consideration of going to the office of fair trading, the fan itself is evidential. Like...I just know a sensible person like yourself, has realized the fan is too noisy to use in -ANY- room of the house, and as such you've had to disconnect it and buy another fan to replace it, because you're aware that if you keep on using the noisy fan, that is in itself proving even your think that fan's actually suitable for purpose.... when it isn't, right? Prudence dictates you put the noisy fan aside 'as is', just in case someone wants to independently examine/test the unit "in the condition it was provided/sold as"...sort of thing.

While that specter prevails, you cannot void warranty and open the motor up (I don't ?think?), so it's going to be largely status quo wrt any attempt to disassemble and identify the cause and any possible remedy ...(and reap the rewards on fame&fortune in a youtube vid B)

We've possibly dwelling on stator coil windings a little too much, in as much as if that were the case, it could be an easy fix....lots of resins/vanishes out there for this job. It may become trickier if it's the armature/bearing mounts being such that the buzzing is actually coming from bearing freeplay...ie; read cheap, nasty bearings of the wrong style/type. All speculation of course until you pull the motor down and have a really good squizzy at what they've done.

Interesting business paper trail ~ other ...interests... besides martec Ltd .....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Enough of ceiling fans,please.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast