Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    This is excluded under warranty, and related to for mains 'off peak' switching. As the capacitive speed controller includes no mains choke/filtering, ripple controller frequencies pass straight on through and 'ring' in the motor windings.

By the description you give, you're experiencing continuous 50Hz mains frequency buzzing, which is arguably an RMA (warranty) claim/issue. I know there is a 'point of proof' herein....for example, in your instance here, the fan is too noisy to use in one room, too noisy in another room, and in consideration of going to the office of fair trading, the fan itself is evidential. Like...I just know a sensible person like yourself, has realized the fan is too noisy to use in -ANY- room of the house, and as such you've had to disconnect it and buy another fan to replace it, because you're aware that if you keep on using the noisy fan, that is in itself proving even your think that fan's actually suitable for purpose.... when it isn't, right? Prudence dictates you put the noisy fan aside 'as is', just in case someone wants to independently examine/test the unit "in the condition it was provided/sold as"...sort of thing.

While that specter prevails, you cannot void warranty and open the motor up (I don't ?think?), so it's going to be largely status quo wrt any attempt to disassemble and identify the cause and any possible remedy ...(and reap the rewards on fame&fortune in a youtube vid B)

We've possibly dwelling on stator coil windings a little too much, in as much as if that were the case, it could be an easy fix....lots of resins/vanishes out there for this job. It may become trickier if it's the armature/bearing mounts being such that the buzzing is actually coming from bearing freeplay...ie; read cheap, nasty bearings of the wrong style/type. All speculation of course until you pull the motor down and have a really good squizzy at what they've done.

Interesting business paper trail ~ other ...interests... besides martec Ltd .....
    You say>>> By the description you give, you're experiencing continuous 50Hz mains frequency buzzing.
    I agree, don't matter what hour you turn the fan on it hummms. Again the other Identical Fan is OK. Look like some are good and some are bad. POOR QUALITY CONTROL.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
    Enough of ceiling fans,please.
    Your 76, did you take your morning pills?

Premium Member
    Thanks

In my 50 years I installed more ceiling fans than you can afford to buy ,so be a ggod boy, go in in the bathroom ,get a towel and dry your self behind the ears.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

NoAIR (10-12-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    I also should have read productreview first. The other matter that has attracted my attention is one person that his origin FAN (martec) were ok and replace them with a flasher unit from martec and they were riddled with problem. I have produced two below complaints (more complaints available) and I think you get the driff.

Not saying you don’t have an issue, but suggesting that two complaints, reported 6 and 7 years ago - on a site that encourages people to complain - is hardly indicative of a massive issue with these units.

Thanks

In my 50 years I installed more ceiling fans than you can afford to buy ,so be a ggod boy, go in in the bathroom ,get a towel and dry your self behind the ears.
    In my 50 years I installed more ceiling fans than you can afford to buy

The above same message to me in my PM's but you left the INSULTS OFF on the above post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Not saying you don’t have an issue, but suggesting that two complaints, reported 6 and 7 years ago - on a site that encourages people to complain - is hardly indicative of a massive issue with these units.
    You would think that MARTEC would investigate but naaa we will close our ears and hope there is no more complaints

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

You would think that MARTEC would investigate but naaa we will close our ears and hope there is no more complaints
    No, I wouldn't expect that ~ perhaps 50years ago when they were an aussie entity maybe, but now? Nahh......and remember, they don't just sell in AU ; we're a small marketplace =)

Thanks

No, I wouldn't expect that ~ perhaps 50years ago when they were an aussie entity maybe, but now? Nahh......and remember, they don't just sell in AU ; we're a small marketplace =)
    Well Martec have told me there sending a new fan out soon before Christmas, possibly the last of 1000 odd Fans I have install or replace in my Electrical life. yeah!!! I will install it and let you know and we can put stop this threads because of a cranky old TNUC that possible has installed a lot of them and the thought of a FAN INSTALL has made him sick.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Lol.......we'll see if their word was worth the reading =)

....as sold in Malaysia...

...as sold in Argentina...

...as sold in Malaysia.....

.... as sold in Australia....

....as bought from China.

I'm reasonably sure their supplier is (found it on made-in-china.com =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks

No respect for older people:Shows your intelligence.

Thanks

No respect for older people:Shows your intelligence.
    WOULD PLESSSSE GO AWAY or post something that is useful for the members or other that read this site, Can't believe a Moderator has not spotted this and had a talk with you . Post something that is constructive. Your old, I'm old the both of us are in the 70's.

Thanks

Lol.......we'll see if their word was worth the reading =)

....as sold in Malaysia...

...as sold in Argentina...

...as sold in Malaysia.....

.... as sold in Australia....

....as bought from China.

I'm reasonably sure their supplier is (found it on made-in-china.com =)
    I have always said to the Wife as you wake up at 2AM the fan is on LOW and you are cold. I was thinking to add a timer on the critical Fans but hard to do on a simple 3 speed AC Fan but if I had a remote and a control module that allows you to turn the fan off after 3 or 4 or 6 hours of use it would be good. Yes these new fans on LOW generate some good air circulation and if the room temp is lower than normal it would be easy to got a cold like I have done before on the start or the end of Summer.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I installed the last 6-7 years VENTAIR in our house and lots of customers.
    Everybody is happy,super quiet and on low is sufficient.
    I prefer 3 blade fans over 4 or more blades.
    My 5 cents worth.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

WOULD PLESSSSE GO AWAY or post something that is useful for the members or other that read this site, Can't believe a Moderator has not spotted this and had a talk with you . Post something that is constructive. Your old, I'm old the both of us are in the 70's.
    From what I can see, you hurled the first insult.

Mods don't read every single post... got a problem, just report it, that alerts us.

Nobody forces members to read threads or discussions they are not interested in, so just ignore such threads.

Play nice, the lot of you.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (15-12-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I always play nice =) I doubt there's anything wrong with this thread...has an appropriate topic line in the right forum section, so I would wonder why anyone would think otherwise. Actually....the topic line is perhaps a little undone, in as much as it should mention (Martec) ...in brackets just like that, because it's never going to be just that brand ...rationale: over 90% of electric ceiling fans are made in China 8) However, you stick the brand name in the topic line, so search engines pick up the hit, and this is a good way to ...sully... the customer support provided by that company, because essentially you can't directly blame them for the manufacture...m'kay? Believe me, there's just as much a chance martec themselves got ripped off by their ODM supplier, because it is known practice for (some) ODMs to 'cut corners' during production, 'behind the buyer's back' as it were. This does not absolve martec's customer/warranty support responsibilities in any way, don't get me wrong here ...I'm not going into bat for them <grin>....it's just that I know what it's like, as a business, to have to open up every single box of a MOQ 5000 shipment, to ensure every single item you've been provided has been made to the specification you provided, on which your warranties etc etc rely. It's more than a pita, it's a nightmare...end of the day, martec are probably as pissed at their ODM, as you are of them...lol...

If they're sending you another fan, do you get to keep the noisy old one?

Personally, right...I would've already pulled the motor apart, looking for answers. That'll be due to the fact I consider I have a good chance of finding the -actual- cause of the noise, and what the appropriate remedy is, if any =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (15-12-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    From what I can see, you hurled the first insult.

Mods don't read every single post... got a problem, just report it, that alerts us.

Nobody forces members to read threads or discussions they are not interested in, so just ignore such threads.

Play nice, the lot of you.
    Yes I agree maybe member Gulliver took me the wrong way so Im sorry for that but at the same time he should not tell all members on this thread to stop posting all because he doesn't want to hear more on this subject mainly like me I"M SICK OF INSTALLING THEM but we all forget the $$$$$$$$ we have made. So all chill out, I will tell when the NEW FAN arrives IF IT ARRIVES and how it runs.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

gulliver (16-12-22),lsemmens (15-12-22)

Thanks

If they're sending you another fan, do you get to keep the noisy old one?

Personally, right...I would've already pulled the motor apart, looking for answers. That'll be due to the fact I consider I have a good chance of finding the -actual- cause of the noise, and what the appropriate remedy is, if any =)
    They have said nothing about returning the old one.

YES yes yes in the new year I will pull the sucker apart and inspect the collection of the coils. Look on youtube for this and apparently they can have up to 8 to12 coils some have heaps more and I can't see any varnish impregnating on them.

For me I'm like a dog and when I got a bone in my mouth I don't like to give up even if its very difficult to get it right like my 5G on my Satellite as I stuck and spent over $1000 to fix the issue and at the same time I did want to lose the TX from 3700 to 3800 or 4100 to 4200. Yes for me it worked using 2 X 5G filtered LNB's but a Chapparal type of feed horn. Touch wood it still works ok today for the Frequencies in the effected range.

Premium Member
    Thanks

They have said nothing about returning the old one.

YES yes yes in the new year I will pull the sucker apart and inspect the collection of the coils. Look on youtube for this and apparently they can have up to 8 to12 coils some have heaps more and I can't see any varnish impregnating on them.

That'll be when things get really interesting here ~ do note the coil windings in that YT vid -have- been vanished ...not very well mind you ~ when he's levering the windings out of the stator, all those flakes you see falling out is actually the (dried, hardened) varnish they used.

Of course, there's a plethora of examples in YT about this issue -->

Looking forward to the teardown.... =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks

Its service time for all the Fans in our house, clean and test speeds, Has anyone on this forum know where you can buy a 3 wire Capacitor for my older fan that the speeds are failing. One of them needs a replacement capacitor. Type 3 wire CBB61 1.5 uF 2.5 uF
    Thanks.
    I forgot to reply to this, but answer was a simple as

What's funny about that, is the huge variance in price ~ the moment you see that, immediately deduce this component is being knocked-off and China being shonky capacitor central of the world....the common sense math ain't hard here.

By that, I mean... me being 60something years old ... I know there's only one way to get a 'good' capacitor of this type ~ make it yourself, they're nothing special, and the potting compound largely responsible for their fire safety rating is easy enough to buy. Then you can named brand PP film caps and over-rate them to 300VAC or more, and you end up with something identical to a CBB61, that lasts a very long time....I just checked on RS, it'd work out at $10 each... (you'd probably kit up for 10 or more units, as you'd like to use up all the potting compound once opened, and the smallest tube of the stuff would do 10~15 units at a guess). The other obvious alternative, was 'once upon a time' you could buys caps as part from brand name suppliers, but this is largely moot now as 90% of these fans/motors are coming out of China...along with the caps. Soon...even now to be sure... you'll be seeing ceiling fans out of India ; maybe their caps will be better...or not... 8)

...this revolves back to freakee1's comment of having to replace the cap up at the motor ~ you can bet it's subject to the same shonkiness.

Alas, it's a world of convenience where we are encouraged to buy, instead of using our skills.... but you get that =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (17-12-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

While on the subject of ceiling fans , id like to mention the issues ive been having with HPM branded fans in recent years. 5 years ago we bought 4 x HPM metal blade fans from Bunnings which came with an optional remote control / timer module as well as the rotary wall switch. The remotes are IR types and rely on the IR sensors being in view of the remotes. Upon install 2 reciever modules didnt work at all so Bunnings swapped them for new ones. The fans worked perfect using the rotary switch so i knew the fans themselves were fine.

fast forward a couple of years and we have had 3 remote transmitters fail and 2 more reciever modules fail. There are 2 failure modes - either the fans fail to start or they only run at full speed . HPM sent me 2 new module kits under goodwill ( an updated type ) but since then they have both karked it as well. The module kits were originally priced at $40 , now they are $80 and no longer stocked at Bunnings.

I refuse to fit any more HPM modules so i just bought some universal RF style kits from ebay and they are working fine. I dismantled the dead modules but could not see anything obvious or where smoke had leaked out so i guess its down to faulty components.

im not buying anything HPM in future except for maybe power points

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

gulliver (16-12-22),wotnot (16-12-22)

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast