Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,251 Posts

Yeah, I recall turning a quid out of rewinding power transformers before SMPS took over, putting the rewinds into a hot pot of lacquer bubbling away at 120C+ to displace moisture... smelt nice too, prolly carcinogenic ...lol...

You're likely being....lets go with 'biased', singling out martec as perp zero...ie; I'll bet you there's many brands of ceiling fan all using the same motor core, all over the world =)

Makes me wonder what the 'made in India' ceiling fans are like...

We've got AC fans here, quiet as a mouse, but that's not the crux of going DC fans -- they're more efficient, and as quiet as a well designed AC fan..which is less efficient and will always use more power than a DC fan to do that same job.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

5GRUBBISH (25-11-22),freakee1 (25-11-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yeah, I recall turning a quid out of rewinding power transformers before SMPS took over, putting the rewinds into a hot pot of lacquer bubbling away at 120C+ to displace moisture... smelt nice too, prolly carcinogenic ...lol...

You're likely being....lets go with 'biased', singling out martec as perp zero...ie; I'll bet you there's many brands of ceiling fan all using the same motor core, all over the world =)

Makes me wonder what the 'made in India' ceiling fans are like...

We've got AC fans here, quiet as a mouse, but that's not the crux of going DC fans -- they're more efficient, and as quiet as a well designed AC fan..which is less efficient and will always use more power than a DC fan to do that same job.
    Excellent post, bring back memories of the old days when apprentices was painted on initiation on there private parts with lacquer, same with girl apprentices, they loved doing it to the boys and they got done but when one girl complained it was gone forever.
    Yes carcinogenic, the old days what that! That great smell, I use to put in in a honey jar and take it home so I can bake it on out OVEN at Home LOL,LOL,LOL Mum use to say Whats that smell when the oven heats up. Today all are pussies, all they want is compensation $$$$$$ just to be close to it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to 5GRUBBISH For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (25-11-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Yes carcinogenic, the old days what that! That great smell, I use to put in in a honey jar and take it home so I can bake it on out OVEN at Home LOL,LOL,LOL Mum use to say Whats that smell when the oven heats up. Today all are pussies, all they want is compensation $$$$$$ just to be close to it.
    ahhaaaaa - As an apprentice of Hydro Tasmania, stuck in Moonah in Winter where the Bridgewater Jerry disappeared at midday and reappeared at 1:30pm - the oven (and the Galv shop) was an awesome place to frequent when cold.......

Must mention Spirros and Poota

f
    有段者

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,251 Posts

....analogous science.... hooking in buzzing windings.....you can spend $1500+ on some of these new computer graphics cards, and if it's not already crazy that they're sucking 600+ watts of 12VDC to work, the buck regulator mosfets are rated 90A or more to feed the GPU core it's <1 VDC, and there 6 to 10 phases all doing the same job, and it's enough for the electronics mind to go 'fark me...I could go welding with that'.... =)

However, not all cards are equal, and there's cheap & nasty inductors and expensive good inductors, to the point that now the difference between a 'good' video card, and a 'bad' video card...both capable of the same performance.... is whether or not you hear 10+ inductors whining away when the card's in use... or not.... whacky times =)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12