Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I forgot to reply to this, but answer was a simple as

What's funny about that, is the huge variance in price ~ the moment you see that, immediately deduce this component is being knocked-off and China being shonky capacitor central of the world....the common sense math ain't hard here.

By that, I mean... me being 60something years old ... I know there's only one way to get a 'good' capacitor of this type ~ make it yourself, they're nothing special, and the potting compound largely responsible for their fire safety rating is easy enough to buy. Then you can named brand PP film caps and over-rate them to 300VAC or more, and you end up with something identical to a CBB61, that lasts a very long time....I just checked on RS, it'd work out at $10 each... (you'd probably kit up for 10 or more units, as you'd like to use up all the potting compound once opened, and the smallest tube of the stuff would do 10~15 units at a guess). The other obvious alternative, was 'once upon a time' you could buys caps as part from brand name suppliers, but this is largely moot now as 90% of these fans/motors are coming out of China...along with the caps. Soon...even now to be sure... you'll be seeing ceiling fans out of India ; maybe their caps will be better...or not... 8)

...this revolves back to freakee1's comment of having to replace the cap up at the motor ~ you can bet it's subject to the same shonkiness.

Alas, it's a world of convenience where we are encouraged to buy, instead of using our skills.... but you get that =)
    When I replaced the capacitor on our OPPO 203 (UHD Player) I use Nichicon and most of the time I have to drive 50K (Altronics) to get them as they are not easy to get my way plus whilst I'm there I always find something else to buy. When I lived in Sydney RS Components was the go.
    Our Induction cooktop has a habit of failing on the 4 cookers, Yes its a Chinese ebay rubbish that cost only $200 and bought two of them because the Mosfets failed + the caps at least every 9 months but after I overrated them the Cooker is reliable. TOUCH WOOD.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 16-12-22 at 04:28 PM.