Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I forgot to reply to this, but answer was a simple as

What's funny about that, is the huge variance in price ~ the moment you see that, immediately deduce this component is being knocked-off and China being shonky capacitor central of the world....the common sense math ain't hard here.

By that, I mean... me being 60something years old ... I know there's only one way to get a 'good' capacitor of this type ~ make it yourself, they're nothing special, and the potting compound largely responsible for their fire safety rating is easy enough to buy. Then you can named brand PP film caps and over-rate them to 300VAC or more, and you end up with something identical to a CBB61, that lasts a very long time....I just checked on RS, it'd work out at $10 each... (you'd probably kit up for 10 or more units, as you'd like to use up all the potting compound once opened, and the smallest tube of the stuff would do 10~15 units at a guess). The other obvious alternative, was 'once upon a time' you could buys caps as part from brand name suppliers, but this is largely moot now as 90% of these fans/motors are coming out of China...along with the caps. Soon...even now to be sure... you'll be seeing ceiling fans out of India ; maybe their caps will be better...or not... 8)

...this revolves back to freakee1's comment of having to replace the cap up at the motor ~ you can bet it's subject to the same shonkiness.

Alas, it's a world of convenience where we are encouraged to buy, instead of using our skills.... but you get that =)
    When I replaced the capacitor on our OPPO 203 (UHD Player) I use Nichicon and most of the time I have to drive 50K (Altronics) to get them as they are not easy to get my way plus whilst I'm there I always find something else to buy. When I lived in Sydney RS Components was the go.
    Our Induction cooktop has a habit of failing on the 4 cookers, Yes its a Chinese ebay rubbish that cost only $200 and bought two of them because the Mosfets failed + the caps at least every 9 months but after I overrated them the Cooker is reliable. TOUCH WOOD.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 16-12-22 at 04:28 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    While on the subject of ceiling fans , id like to mention the issues ive been having with HPM branded fans in recent years. 5 years ago we bought 4 x HPM metal blade fans from Bunnings which came with an optional remote control / timer module as well as the rotary wall switch. The remotes are IR types and rely on the IR sensors being in view of the remotes. Upon install 2 reciever modules didnt work at all so Bunnings swapped them for new ones. The fans worked perfect using the rotary switch so i knew the fans themselves were fine.

fast forward a couple of years and we have had 3 remote transmitters fail and 2 more reciever modules fail. There are 2 failure modes - either the fans fail to start or they only run at full speed . HPM sent me 2 new module kits under goodwill ( an updated type ) but since then they have both karked it as well. The module kits were originally priced at $40 , now they are $80 and no longer stocked at Bunnings.

I refuse to fit any more HPM modules so i just bought some universal RF style kits from ebay and they are working fine. I dismantled the dead modules but could not see anything obvious or where smoke had leaked out so i guess its down to faulty components.

im not buying anything HPM in future except for maybe power points
    I refuse to buy HPM anything. HPM was good 20 years ago but HPM decided to get they stuff made in China and it the end of them. Only Bunnings sells HPM + the other rubbish brand DETA (some are reliable, but check the rocker before you buy a switch, Power Point) but what I have noticed that Bunnings are slowly getting rid of HPM. Just about all Electrical Wholesalers sells only Clipsal and that it but even then before I retired some contractors were complaining from Failure on some Clipsal stuff as no doubt China is show its ugly face again on good brand names.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

gulliver (16-12-22),VroomVroom (22-12-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    While on the subject of ceiling fans , id like to mention the issues ive been having with HPM branded fans in recent years. 5 years ago we bought 4 x HPM metal blade fans from Bunnings which came with an optional remote control / timer module as well as the rotary wall switch. The remotes are IR types and rely on the IR sensors being in view of the remotes. Upon install 2 reciever modules didnt work at all so Bunnings swapped them for new ones. The fans worked perfect using the rotary switch so i knew the fans themselves were fine.

fast forward a couple of years and we have had 3 remote transmitters fail and 2 more reciever modules fail. There are 2 failure modes - either the fans fail to start or they only run at full speed . HPM sent me 2 new module kits under goodwill ( an updated type ) but since then they have both karked it as well. The module kits were originally priced at $40 , now they are $80 and no longer stocked at Bunnings.

I refuse to fit any more HPM modules so i just bought some universal RF style kits from ebay and they are working fine. I dismantled the dead modules but could not see anything obvious or where smoke had leaked out so i guess its down to faulty components.

im not buying anything HPM in future except for maybe power points

Aye, so many once good quality, aussie name brands that we all once could trust, have gone by the wayside. A lot of the time, the crux of faults with this kind of stuff, boils down to the fact they don't differentiate between 220VAC and 240VAC, and the components (being what they are) are right on their upper operating envelope = more heat == shorter life. You see this with bigclivedotcom on YT ... he's forever showing how to modify driver circuits for LED lamps for instance, to literally double their lifespan 'coz LEDs really do not like heat.

From the YT vid OP linked earlier....

That would have to be one of the loosest, sloppily wound stator assemblies I've ever seen...I'm even questioning if there's the same number of turns on every former pole. I also see the possibility for a trained monkey to get the hard wiring wrong.

Fark me that's ugly.... hey VroomVroom ~ check that riveting job out, trying to hold a multi-layer stator pole together 8)

I was starting to wonder 'where would one begin?' ...looking closely at this, it's less of a quandary 8)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (22-12-22)

Thanks

Aye, so many once good quality, aussie name brands that we all once could trust, have gone by the wayside. A lot of the time, the crux of faults with this kind of stuff, boils down to the fact they don't differentiate between 220VAC and 240VAC, and the components (being what they are) are right on their upper operating envelope = more heat == shorter life. You see this with bigclivedotcom on YT ... he's forever showing how to modify driver circuits for LED lamps for instance, to literally double their lifespan 'coz LEDs really do not like heat.

From the YT vid OP linked earlier....

That would have to be one of the loosest, sloppily wound stator assemblies I've ever seen...I'm even questioning if there's the same number of turns on every former pole. I also see the possibility for a trained monkey to get the hard wiring wrong.

Fark me that's ugly.... hey VroomVroom ~ check that riveting job out, trying to hold a multi-layer stator pole together 8)

I was starting to wonder 'where would one begin?' ...looking closely at this, it's less of a quandary 8)
    I still remember when I was a first year apprentice in the motor winding shop I got my head ripped off as when I was winding the coils for a large 200 HP 3 Phase 415 Motor I forget to check the counter to see how many coils I added. Yes I made mistakes on the new coils added. Now that a 3 phase 415V motor. (Off topic but) The leading hand Electrical fitter winder (Not licensed, most of the older Electric fitters or Mechanics was never licensed but the younger generation become Licensed got more money then the older tradesman and we knew fu.k all compared the older ones and yes they rub this in. ) once again I never let me near a 11,000 Volt motor, all I was good for it CLEANING and even then i was not good enough to do that but at the same time he was German and hated the young as he was in the Hitler Youth army in Germany during WW2. Now even these motor that we used we had 5000 V and 11,000 volts motors for water pumps and I sort of remember the leading hand X 2 of them counting the burnt out coils and some time they were different. I used to do is cut the insulating (think it was fibre) for the slots and if I was 1mm out I got me head ripped off, all I heard is "back in my country I will have you executed" yeah he was this bad but he was a good worker and the only one that can wind a 5000V or 11,000 motor that used the same amount of current and wont BURN OUT!!! and refused to put the motor back together not unless we used Hoffmann bearings. Later in life we become friends, he did perfect work at his home wiring his house but I had to sign it off as he was not licensed, I still remember knocking on his door and he will open only to have a German WW2 uniform on.
    Back on Topic!!
    You can see my dead German Friend did not wind that stator up. ITS VERY POOR, Once again look at the rivets, If one is loose or not gripping tightly there is you hummming, buzzzing

Thanks

Today is the 20/12/2020 and the new promised new fan has still not arrived. Busy time for me before Xmas

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Today is the 20/12/2020 and the new promised new fan has still not arrived. Busy time for me before Xmas
    Don't hold your breath ~ the 20th of each month is ebay seller review time, so they're probably busy =)

Thanks

Don't hold your breath ~ the 20th of each month is ebay seller review time, so they're probably busy =)

I think the Manufacture is sending the fan to me not the Ebay seller not unless the Martec is telling them to send out out. Yes Martec knows my address.

Thanks

Martec, the link above is USED fans.

I like this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Today 09/01/2023 after a 3 week break from the internet the new promised new fan has still not arrived. Maybe Martec have forgotten about me. By the way I have mot hassled then at all, I want to see how low can they get. Maybe there waiting for Winter.

Thanks

Yeah!!!!! Finally the new replacement Martec 316 fan arrived. Its taken about 6 to 7 weeks to get it. Trouble is I'm busy doing other work so I will wait for a week or so.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, they do that to ensure there's no air cavities ; was your chamber heated as well to boil off trapped moisture for the vacuum pump to extract?

Understand that more than 90% of ceiling fans are made in china, but they produce to a specification as defined by the buyer...ie; if they define proper lacquering/potting, the china factory will build to that...but the unit price goes up. Apparently martec didn't opt for such specification, to maximize their profit margin. Trick is, finding a manufacturer who ordered to an optional (higher) specification...ie; there'll be lots of brands out there selling these ceiling fans at the same spec level martec do, and even a higher manuf. spec fan will look exactly the same as martec (and any other) cheap reseller. It probably becomes a moot point when thinking about DC fans ; this sort of mains AC induced noise won't be present anyway...so even cheap DC fans are likely ok....build quality however?...YMMV...ie; there's likely different tiers wrt what bearings are used in manufacture =)

Thanks

I have even tried the ir heat gun like the V8's use to see the temp on the track and both martec I ran them on the same speed and let them run on low medium but not high for hours and both of them had similar temps but the new fan the one that hums was slight hotter like 1.2 degrees hotter that not much but for a expert they might say the sick fan will always generate more heat, who knows.

Thanks

By the way the speed on both fans Low, Medium were slightly different as you expect that so that has to take in account. I have a few meters even a sound meter to measure the db of my farts but dont have a ir rev counter and anything that can count rev per minute.

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234