Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default 56 inch Ceiling fan Buzzes

On the weekend I replaced a ceiling fan in our lounge room from 48 inch to a 56 inch fan, Yes replaced the controller too that come with the Martec fan but once starting the fan I noticed that had a slight BUZZ on slow and in medium it was a little louder and forget high speed as it hummed more.
    After this I checked everything (the Ball) and make sure it was seated correctly via the pin and that was ok, tightened all the blades and other but it was the same, it had a very,very slight buzz. I contacted the Manufacture and explained it to them and still waiting for full reply. Now the First one I got 5 years ago for another room is the same brand and type, same size and it does not hummmm at all but if I can hear something humming its my brain trying to trick me but when I go back to the new one that is only 4 days old it defiantly hummmms.

What I have Noticed:::
    After running the fan for 24 hrs its quieter but I can hear it BUT!! if I move 0.5M on one position either left or right the noise is Gone but if I move to another position it on again and mover little to another position its gone but if I find the location of the room that is worse them lie on the carpet it GONE but if I crawl on the carpet and stick my head up the buzz is back again. What in the F@#$%^K is going on. Could it be the speed capacitor causing this issue. Yes the Wife has come with the same conclusions, something going on in this room and this fan, can't be a Harmonic issue or am I confused or the issue is above my pay grade.

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm assuming the fan is a standard AC fan with 3 speed control - low medium and high. If so what you are hearing is most likely the frequency of the AC - i.e. 50 Hz. The majority of fans use capacitors to bring the current out phase with the voltage and that controls the speed. If it is something that you are struggling with - return it and look at a DC version, they do cost more, but silent

f
    有段者

4. The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    I'm assuming the fan is a standard AC fan with 3 speed control - low medium and high. If so what you are hearing is most likely the frequency of the AC - i.e. 50 Hz. The majority of fans use capacitors to bring the current out phase with the voltage and that controls the speed. If it is something that you are struggling with - return it and look at a DC version, they do cost more, but silent

f
    I actually question that in this case, just because OP says it was really loud on high, and according to the Martec website their AC speed controllers use 2 capacitors, 2uF & 3.5uF ...which means they may be using this circuit...

Which infers capacitors are switched out of circuit on the high setting?...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (17-11-22)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I actually question that in this case, just because OP says it was really loud on high, and according to the Martec website their AC speed controllers use 2 capacitors, 2uF & 3.5uF ...which means they may be using this circuit...

My older fans in the house use 2uF & 3.5uF capacitors and only today I will try to get new ones as we have two fans in the house that the lowest speed hardly turns the fans so the caps need replacing. Done this 5 years ago and need to do it again..

Thanks

Hummms worst at high speed, Thank God I never should need to use high speed. so its the motor not the capacitors, like you say "capacitors are switched out of circuit on the high setting"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post

f
    Yes I went to a lighting mob today in Brisbane (Beacon Lighting) they recommend me to use DC Fans also rang Wide World of Lights and they also said that DC is the best to use but at the same time I asked them for the issues with DC Fans they grumbled and said NONE, I bet DC Fans have other issue but they wont say. Are they reliable?.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sadly, this is a normal part of owning fans. Many homes in the 'Territory' have fans that hum, Generally at low speed. You do get used to it, so I cannot comment on if my fans hum now I live 'south' i rarely turn them on.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Sadly, this is a normal part of owning fans. Many homes in the 'Territory' have fans that hum, Generally at low speed. You do get used to it, so I cannot comment on if my fans hum now I live 'south' i rarely turn them on.
    My one Humms more in High speed but luckily the lowest speed I use because this larger fan moves more air at compared to the old one.

Thanks

I have found capacitors hidden away in the motor head of many ceiling fans, and that is the one probably making the noise.
    Motors typically use high quality iron laminations and copper windings are covered in varnish meaning there is no possible vibration due to the winding and core being covered in resin

DC fans are superior in control and noise, hence the price - but seems they are becoming more common

f
    有段者

14. The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks

It could be as simple as a loose fastener in the motor/mounting assembly, they can buzz for all sorts of mechanical reasons, not just electrical ones =)

This....

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    What I have Noticed:::
    After running the fan for 24 hrs its quieter but I can hear it BUT!! if I move 0.5M on one position either left or right the noise is Gone but if I move to another position it on again and mover little to another position its gone but if I find the location of the room that is worse them lie on the carpet it GONE but if I crawl on the carpet and stick my head up the buzz is back again. What in the F@#$%^K is going on. Could it be the speed capacitor causing this issue. Yes the Wife has come with the same conclusions, something going on in this room and this fan, can't be a Harmonic issue or am I confused or the issue is above my pay grade.
    The concept of '5 years ago' ...means to me 'probably made in china, and 'now' would be a different assembly batch run'....m'kay? You can try a couple of things to divine where the noise is being generated...ie; old school way would be ear plug in one ear, and a length of hose with a funnel in one end, other end up to ear, and wander around until you capture/locate the sound with the funnel opening....more modern way would be headphones and a mic... =) If you find it's definitely coming from the motor, warranty job?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (19-11-22)

Thanks

It could be as simple as a loose fastener in the motor/mounting assembly, they can buzz for all sorts of mechanical reasons, not just electrical ones =)

This....

The concept of '5 years ago' ...means to me 'probably made in china,
    Yes Made in China, The other one that is Identical was made 8 years ago not 5 years ago but not made in China. Cant find any evidence of made in china in the old one, I know I kept the paper work about it, will have to search in my files and receipt.

Yes I have 3 to 4 M of 16 MM Clear tube, Have plenty of funnel, will do this test later on and report back.

Thanks

This....

You can try a couple of things to divine where the noise is being generated...ie; old school way would be ear plug in one ear, and a length of hose with a funnel in one end, other end up to ear, and wander around until you capture/locate the sound with the funnel opening....more modern way would be headphones and a mic... =) If you find it's definitely coming from the motor, warranty job?
    Yes tried it and the Hummm come from the main, center of the motor.
    I say the new Fan has a Defect or poor QC as the older fan the same design as the new one is 98% good. The Old same fan is about 8 years old and has lucky done only 24 hours of work in 8 years, Come to think of it I think the NEW Fan has done the same work in the last week or so.
    Waiting on what the manufacture (MARTEC) is doing and if they don't hurry up I might swap the fans and controllers over. Yes I put the same fan on a room that nobody use

Thanks

Its service time for all the Fans in our house, clean and test speeds, Has anyone on this forum know where you can buy a 3 wire Capacitor for my older fan that the speeds are failing. One of them needs a replacement capacitor. Type 3 wire CBB61 1.5 uF 2.5 uF
    Thanks.

Found them or very similar ones on ebay.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 18-11-22 at 05:18 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Its service time for all the Fans in our house, clean and test speeds, Has anyone on this forum know where you can buy a 3 wire Capacitor for my older fan that the speeds are failing. One of them needs a replacement capacitor. Type 3 wire CBB61 1.5 uF 2.5 uF
    Thanks.
    I forgot to reply to this, but answer was a simple as

What's funny about that, is the huge variance in price ~ the moment you see that, immediately deduce this component is being knocked-off and China being shonky capacitor central of the world....the common sense math ain't hard here.

By that, I mean... me being 60something years old ... I know there's only one way to get a 'good' capacitor of this type ~ make it yourself, they're nothing special, and the potting compound largely responsible for their fire safety rating is easy enough to buy. Then you can named brand PP film caps and over-rate them to 300VAC or more, and you end up with something identical to a CBB61, that lasts a very long time....I just checked on RS, it'd work out at $10 each... (you'd probably kit up for 10 or more units, as you'd like to use up all the potting compound once opened, and the smallest tube of the stuff would do 10~15 units at a guess). The other obvious alternative, was 'once upon a time' you could buys caps as part from brand name suppliers, but this is largely moot now as 90% of these fans/motors are coming out of China...along with the caps. Soon...even now to be sure... you'll be seeing ceiling fans out of India ; maybe their caps will be better...or not... 8)

...this revolves back to freakee1's comment of having to replace the cap up at the motor ~ you can bet it's subject to the same shonkiness.

Alas, it's a world of convenience where we are encouraged to buy, instead of using our skills.... but you get that =)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (17-12-22)

Thanks

I forgot to reply to this, but answer was a simple as

What's funny about that, is the huge variance in price ~ the moment you see that, immediately deduce this component is being knocked-off and China being shonky capacitor central of the world....the common sense math ain't hard here.

By that, I mean... me being 60something years old ... I know there's only one way to get a 'good' capacitor of this type ~ make it yourself, they're nothing special, and the potting compound largely responsible for their fire safety rating is easy enough to buy. Then you can named brand PP film caps and over-rate them to 300VAC or more, and you end up with something identical to a CBB61, that lasts a very long time....I just checked on RS, it'd work out at $10 each... (you'd probably kit up for 10 or more units, as you'd like to use up all the potting compound once opened, and the smallest tube of the stuff would do 10~15 units at a guess). The other obvious alternative, was 'once upon a time' you could buys caps as part from brand name suppliers, but this is largely moot now as 90% of these fans/motors are coming out of China...along with the caps. Soon...even now to be sure... you'll be seeing ceiling fans out of India ; maybe their caps will be better...or not... 8)

...this revolves back to freakee1's comment of having to replace the cap up at the motor ~ you can bet it's subject to the same shonkiness.

Alas, it's a world of convenience where we are encouraged to buy, instead of using our skills.... but you get that =)
    When I replaced the capacitor on our OPPO 203 (UHD Player) I use Nichicon and most of the time I have to drive 50K (Altronics) to get them as they are not easy to get my way plus whilst I'm there I always find something else to buy. When I lived in Sydney RS Components was the go.
    Our Induction cooktop has a habit of failing on the 4 cookers, Yes its a Chinese ebay rubbish that cost only $200 and bought two of them because the Mosfets failed + the caps at least every 9 months but after I overrated them the Cooker is reliable. TOUCH WOOD.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 16-12-22 at 04:28 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well at least your mental torment of finding where the buzzing is coming from has been sated =)

Somehow stumbled across this ~

It only depicts a 2 speed fan, I was hoping for an exploded view of the motor.....but anyway, down on page 7 is worth reading wrt noise and what they call subject to warranty....and I imagine from that, the fault you have is a warranty claim.

I'm not advising you open the motor to find the issue, as such will void warranty.....but that's where you are ostensibly ; they should offer warranty & a replacement .......if they don't, only then do you consider disassembly.

Thanks

I noticed in there Warranty it 17/ it states, 17/ This warranty does not cover electrical humming noises, wobbling or any other external influences.
    No doubt they know about the humming noise so to sell them they parm them for ebay sales to get rid of them so they can concentrate on the DC models. Now if this is the case there doing wrong with the public by selling them knowing this issue. I would say possible made by different by different Chinese's supplier. I have two UPS 100% identical but one sit 2mm higher because of higher legs out side that its 100% Identical in every way until you ripped the lid off, upon investigating this UPS are the same model same everything but ripping the lid off you can see one has the better heat sink, better battery, all you have to do is look at the printed circuit board and you will see a difference ( My wife could not pick the Difference) The batteries One Korean and the other Chinese and other components but you guest it ONE HUMMMMS the other does not. Built to the cheapest quote. No doubt I should has asked the seller on Ebay "have you still got the earlier version" and he will say WHAT they are the same , RUBBISH!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

This warranty does not cover electrical humming noises, wobbling or any other external influences.
    Motor buzzing when it shouldn't is NOT an external influence =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

At least you're not alone....

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-11-22)

Thanks

At least you're not alone....

Being a X electrician because of health issue I always used Martec but after reading a few reviews and whats is written above I will give Martec a miss the next time I need a Fan.
    Come to think of it. The Wife told me last night It would be good if we replace all the 9 fans in our house (easy to say but I'm the idiot that has to install them, no worried about the $$ as I need 9 X $300 each that is $2700 and possibly get discount) as the controllers are just about gone (most low speed are gone, over 10 years of work) and needs replacing or I need 8 Capacitors for the 8 fans (9th is the New Buzzzing fan) Lets see if Martec is willing to replace the Buzzing fan because like you say in the above that gentleman or the lady has 2 out of 4 fans that buzzing or hummming. Once again my fan that is identical like the Hummmming fan is 98% good. Yes the same fan that Hummms no doubt come from new batches or other company that make them for Martec. Very Disappointed.
    Anyhow I'm waiting for a Phone call from Martec and if they don't reply there have lost me for good and considering the price of electricity is going through the roof I've had two calls from Family member in the last month that have air con in their house and now want to install fans to reduce the cost of using the air con at night trying to get to sleep.