Thread: Sound Switch. Solar Inverter Beeps, SS closes a contact for an Alarm System to SMS

Thanks

Default Sound Switch. Solar Inverter Beeps, SS closes a contact for an Alarm System to SMS

I want to know of alarm situations with a 4000w Solar Inverter, 5 alarm conditions will cause a Beeping noise, am wary of neighbours dog, loud car exhausts causing the Security system( SS closes a contact) to send an SMS to my phone, since the sound pick up is not frequency sensitive. It may work with a long delay ie the Inverter keeps beeping for say 60 sec compared to continuous barking/exhaust.

Comment appreciated.

Last edited by PeterInSa; 25-11-22 at 09:29 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

First blush....I'd prefer to tap into the beeper drive signal, as it removes the need of having to deal with extraneous noise picked up by a microphone...bit of a KISS thang ; detecting an electrical signal, you don't care about the frequency =)

That said, you've likely got a couple of constants to work with....ie; the frequency of the beeper itself, it's duty cycle (on/off time)...and if the beeper had different patterns for the 5 alarm conditions, you could use that as well.

Having those constants, you could have a mic hooked to the analog input of an arduino mini/attiny85|88 or similar, and build a simple frequency detector...ie;

Once you set up the min/max values so they match the actual frequency of the beeper (use the same setup to divine that =), you can then measure the start/stop time of the beeps, do a sanity check by measuring time between the beeps, and of course then you can count the beeps or measure the time since first beep was detected, and do whatever with one of the I/O pins on the MPU if this happens...ie; flick on a relay,, sink a signal wire to ground or pull it up, whatever's needed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

PeterInSa (26-11-22)

Thanks

Most of the time the inverter will have some form of TCP, CAN, or Serial Interface - I'd be looking there first.

What's the brand / model of the inverter?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

PeterInSa (26-11-22)

Thanks

Re (First blush....I'd prefer to tap into the beeper drive signal,) I Cannot open the covers will destroy the warranty.

Re a Build. Am wary of a build just in case there are fire issues especially with lithium Batteries. Will probably rely on a Fault shutting down power to the Alarm system and it sending me a Loss of power SMS.

Re (Most of the time the inverter will have some form of TCP, CAN, or Serial Interface - I'd be looking there first.)
    Yes Victron, Not ....

Giandel 4000w 24v
    Last edited by PeterInSa; 26-11-22 at 07:40 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

If you're using lithium base storage, that should be monitored -anyway- in and of it's own right, exparte of the rest of the system...

These 5 fault conditions...do they result in the inverter switching off it's AC output?

PeterInSa (27-11-22)

Thanks

Lithium Batt Monitoring via WiFi, looking at the unit below:

Re Fault conditions:
    Inverter switch's off for: Under Voltage 19v, Over Voltage 32V, Overloaded will switch off if over 4000w(8000w serge for long than x secs), Short Circuit, Over Temperature higher than 144DegF

Premium Member
    Thanks

So you just need a mains voltage detector as when the beeper sounds, the inverter has actually cut output power....umm.... single 8pin chip, HCPL3700

edit: that battery monitor doesn't seem to do any physical cell monitoring (temperature)....ie; fire protection
    Last edited by wotnot; 27-11-22 at 11:41 AM.

PeterInSa (27-11-22)

Thanks

Re (the inverter has actually cut output power....umm.)
    The alarm system, is actually the same alarm system as in our House ( The off Grid system is 4 daughter) when power is cut the alarm system sends an SMS. Will also have the Wifi Smoke alarm in the metal cabinet linked the the Alarm system/SMS.

The initial Battery will be a SOK 24v 100 amp ( I know that you can nearly buy 2 of voltx and Digi Marker 24vx100amp batts.for a bit more than the cost of 1 SOK, if it was my install would probably go this way, but daughter will do little battery checking)

Linked to the alarm system/SMS will be Thermal Monitors at 50degC for battery and controllers and 60 degC for the inverter
    Last edited by PeterInSa; 27-11-22 at 01:49 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thermal monitor should be the 'one shot' type (requiring manual reset and inspection of possible cause)

All those batteries have a built in BMS - some models have BT to access the BMS monitoring functions...pity all OEMs don't do this.

PeterInSa (28-11-22)

Thanks

Re (Thermal monitor should be the 'one shot' type (requiring manual reset and inspection of possible cause)
    Agree

Re (All those batteries have a built in BMS - some models have BT to access the BMS monitoring functions...pity all OEMs don't do this.)
    Agree, But BT is not suitable for remote monitoring.

Re Temperature have looked at an air movement sensor to determine when the computer fan (cabinet ventilation) fails and the sensor via the alarm system sends an SMS.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Aah....seems admin's endo whoopsie chopped my reply, but all good...

....they make air flow sensors specifically for those fans ...

...we use victron stuff ourselves with BT monitoring, no complaints

Thanks

Re (Aah....seems admin's endo whoopsie chopped my reply, but all good...)
    Ditto.
    Thanks For The switch Info, alternative is to use 2 Fans, but still need to check or wait 4 Temperature alarm. Am just wary of Lithium at daughter house OK in our house/RV, reason for remote monitoring (by me)

2 mates have similar systems near start up but with 135amp gel 12v batteries x 8 and other mate x10, in Parallel.

Will plan on 24v Fans for ventilation removes need for 240vac/12v DC Power Pack.

Probably would have gone Victron if a friend had already gone down that path, I like their 7 year warranty, Giandel Inverter warranty 1 year..