Thread: No Electricians

Thanks

Default No Electricians

Hi, Many would probably know by my threads that i have a shed being built. well completed at this point.

I was trying to organize an electrician to hook up the electrics. It is a very large job.

the peek of the roof is at the 4m mark and it needs between 4 and 6 light batons on a light run. 2 power point runs and a dedicated 15 amp point to a sub distribution board with a 3phase run from the mains power box.

i have had an electrician say they will come to quote then not show up. i have had another turn up and take notes then say i will receive a quote from their office by the end of that week. several weeks have passed and nothing has come through from them. i also don't have their details anymore so i can't chase them.

I have another one lined up for next week to quote, but i am not going to count on them turning up based on other experiences.

now i fully realize this sort of job is going to cost a few grand to do and wont be possible to start until the new year but the money for the job was factored in when i did the shed and the shed by some miracle came in under budget so the money is there ready to go for the job and no one seems to want to do it.

what can i do at this point? i am tempted to just do it myself but i know that is not legal. as it stands all it is running on is extension cords from the house but that is no good for running a hoist etc.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

can you dig a trench from the MSW board to the sub switch board or is it overhead? You could do a lot of work except connections.Get the size of the sub mains and run it from a to b, A lot you can do yourself but no connections. Ask the sparky what you can do and he'll come to do the finals.
    Yes, I'm a retired electrician.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-12-22),wotnot (13-12-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
    can you dig a trench from the MSW board to the sub switch board or is it overhead? You could do a lot of work except connections.Get the size of the sub mains and run it from a to b, A lot you can do yourself but no connections. Ask the sparky what you can do and he'll come to do the finals.
    Yes, I'm a retired electrician.
    the run would have to be overhead because the shed is close to the house and there is concrete between. I could speak to an electrician regarding only doing connections but it would need an electrician to commit to the job.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bazzy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (14-12-22)

Thanks

Its hard to get any tradies at the best of times let alone one that will finish youre work. Im old school and was lucky to know a old sparkie who allowed me to wire my hole shed except the final connection to the meter box before he tested everything.
    Ask around you may find one

• The Following User Says Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

gulliver (14-12-22)

Thanks

Hit up facebook in the marketplace, it is an effective way of getting sheit done.......

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (15-12-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You could try

If you get anyone from there, just get proof they are qualified to sign off and watch them do the job.

Its a mixed bag on there, but it is impossible to get people to work in this country. I have a huge amount of work that needs done in about 6 months and am dreading trying to find people.