Thread: New solar Installation

Thanks

Default New solar Installation

Looking to install a new Solar system is there anything I should avoid or any recommendations would be great

Location Kilmore Victoria : Looking at 5 or 6.5 Kw System and perhaps Battery

Average use 22KWH per day which includes Electric Storage Hot Water

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Looking to install a new Solar system is there anything I should avoid or any recommendations would be great

Location Kilmore Victoria : Looking at 5 or 6.5 Kw System and perhaps Battery

Average use 22KWH per day which includes Electric Storage Hot Water
    1: using 22Kwh a day and a 6.5 system you wont need to spend money on a battery setup
    because you wont have much if any spare.

2: things to look for is the installation to get the most sun , also quality panels because there
    is plenty cheap junk around.If they want to charge extra to have say a wifi setup to monitor
    etc dont and save your money its a novelty at first but quickly loose interest in that.

3: Big thing is check your meter box if you are in an older home because if it has a asbestos
    panel board your will need to have all that replaced and usually a couple grand to do so.

4: with your water heater you set up a timer for it so it heats up in the middle of the day making
    the most of your power production.

5: when you get the solar done and you go to renew your power supply you actully will notice
    that you will be charged more per KWH for the power and also the feed in compared to not having solar.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 20-12-22 at 12:34 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (30-01-23),harryt (31-01-23),RedXT (21-12-22),william10 (21-12-22)

Thanks

Thanks fandtm666 after getting a couple of quotes your right about the battery there wont be anything left to charge them
    North facing roof so all good there
    Meter box all good just waiting for Ausnet to install a smart meter (I still have the old one)
    Good advice about the hot water

Thanks

Just an update on my Solar

The Jinko Suntank system with backup protection is now available in Australia and I now have a quote

10.925 Kw with 2.5Kw Battery and backup to 2 circuits in the house

Jinko 5kW HYBRID – SunTank JKS-5HLVS-ABI
    Jinko 2.56kWh Battery – JKS-B5150-BI Jinko
    23 Jinko 475W -JKM475N-60HL4-V Panels

$8,790.00

I beleive the Inverter is a rebaged Growatt

There is some more info here :
    Last edited by RedXT; 29-01-23 at 12:31 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

harryt (31-01-23),Softek2 (31-01-23),william10 (29-01-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Just an update on my Solar

The Jinko Suntank system with backup protection is now available in Australia and I now have a quote

10.925 Kw with 2.5Kw Battery and backup to 2 circuits in the house

Jinko 5kW HYBRID – SunTank JKS-5HLVS-ABI
    Jinko 2.56kWh Battery – JKS-B5150-BI Jinko
    23 Jinko 475W -JKM475N-60HL4-V Panels

$8,790.00

I beleive the Inverter is a rebaged Growatt

There is some more info here :

A 2.5kwh Battery will probably provide very little if any savings.
    think that battery will be depleted after 1 hour operating a tumble dryer. having am average computer running for 5 hours, 1 hotplate on the stove for an hour. 4 hotplates on the stove for 15 min.

If you add up your usage through the night it will probably exceed that usage if you are using 22kw per day unless you are home during the day using it then it is likely most of that power is being used at night. (unless you have a pool)

I have a 15kw solar setup and the battery i am considering getting is a 13.3kw battery. however when they assessed my setup they also asked for multiple bills to make sure I am exporting enough to charge a battery of that size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    A 2.5kwh Battery will probably provide very little if any savings.
    think that battery will be depleted after 1 hour operating a tumble dryer. having am average computer running for 5 hours, 1 hotplate on the stove for an hour. 4 hotplates on the stove for 15 min.

If you add up your usage through the night it will probably exceed that usage if you are using 22kw per day unless you are home during the day using it then it is likely most of that power is being used at night. (unless you have a pool)

I have a 15kw solar setup and the battery i am considering getting is a 13.3kw battery. however when they assessed my setup they also asked for multiple bills to make sure I am exporting enough to charge a battery of that size.
    Yea I considered that and ended up going with a 5Kw battery (these are modular at 2.5Kw per module and u can add up to 10) each 2.5Kw module is around $2400

I work from home and have shifted the Electric Storage Hot Water to the daytime and the pool pump also.

At the moment we are importing on average 2Kw per day mainly from around 2am until around 7am but are exporting on average 22Kw

Tomorrow we have a grid outage form 10AM to around 2PM so it will be interesting so see how the "Blackout Protection" Goes, I will post some data tomorrow
    Last edited by RedXT; 06-03-23 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

First grid outage yesterday (planned), 10:22 power went off , Blackout Protection kicked in and had Beer Fridge, 2 x Computers,Modem/Router/2 x Foxtel boxes,and 65" Tv all running OK, Power returned 14:20

Later ran 85"TV ans Nvidia Shield Box all ok

The solar charged the battery from 82 to100% and provided all power needed to run the appliances ranging from .43Kw to 1.2Kw over the outage and no battery was used.

So overall things went as expected. On the day 22Kw was produced, 16.3 was consumed 5Kw exported and 3Kw imported from the Grid

Data Here

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (08-03-23),gulliver (08-03-23),Keith (17-03-23),Softek2 (10-03-23)