Thread: Dual Sim Enquiry - Making calls with AUS # from Overseas & Avoiding Roaming Charges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Dual Sim Enquiry - Making calls with AUS # from Overseas & Avoiding Roaming Charges

Hello!

I am moving back home after living in Australia for years. I plan to continue to do business with Australian customers from my home country, a job which requires me to both make and receive many calls a day.

When I was visiting home last time, I turned off roaming on the Australian phone but was still able to make calls for free by hot spotting to a 2nd local phone. I didn't realise that iPhone automatically converts calls to data if it cannot connect to a tower, so as long as I was hot spotting to a local phone, I could continue to make and receive calls to Australia like normal and not pay any roaming.

I do need to keep my current number and can't see any way of doing it another way like call forwarding as I need to make calls and have my current Australian number show up when I call others.

My question is:
    Can I do this all within one phone (using both 1 physical and 1 e-sim) instead of carrying around a second phone? In other words, can the local sim be set up as a sort of permanent hotspot to the Australian sim to allow me to make and receive calls to Australia and avoid these roaming charges? (but without the Australian sim being turned on or connecting to a tower of course)

If this does not work, is there any other way? Would a newer model of iPhone (preferred) or Android support this if the XR does not for some reason?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Jono1234; 08-01-23 at 02:02 PM.

2. Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

May be worth looking into porting your mobile number to a VoIP provider. Someone like CrazyTel only charge ~$1 per month. Don’t know if SMS would work, but if you only need voice this is worth considering.

4. 02-03-24, 05:03 PM