Thread: Receiving Freeview via Astra Satalite But Only One Input On TV

Thanks

Default Receiving Freeview via Astra Satalite But Only One Input On TV

Hi all, this is my first posting so would like to say hello to everyone.

I have a query! I have a satalite dish with 4 outputs but the TV, an LG OLED, only has one satalite input, is ther a way of combining the horizontal and verticle polarities so that I can recieve all of the Freeview channels?

Any replies gratefully recieved.

Ron.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Hello Ron,

Welcome to Austech.

Depends on the type of LNB and how the outputs are configured and how your TV switches polarities.... more info needed.

I'm not familiar with a C-Band LNB with 4 outputs (or a TV with direct satellite tuner connection)... are you sure it's not Ku band?

If you have separate H/V polarities output from the LNB, then connecting them to a multiswitch will provide a single connection to a tuner, but again, it depends on how your tuner switches polarities and type of LNB it works with.

Ie: 13/18 volts switching, 22kHz DiSEqC, etc

EDIT: There are a few different satellites named Astra, Ku and Ka bands (no C band)... and none receivable in Australia.

Which Astra satellite are you referring to, and where are you located, Ron?
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

Hi MTV, many thanks for the reply. I am located in Exeter, UK. Originaly had a Sky Q setup, this was canceled and I changed the LNB to a four out but still focused on the Astra satallite, I think at 28.2E, . The TV is an LG with a built in DVB 2/S satallite tuner b ut tech information is a bit thin! The other solution I am considering is an old VU+ Solo2, might be an easier option???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E is Ku band.

We need to know the specs of the LNB you are now using, but given the satellite transponder frequencies, it likely needs a universal LNB to cover the LO range output.

If all outputs of your LNB are identical, then a single connection to your TV should work when connected to any of the 4 ports.

The tuner in your TV will need to have 13/18V switching for V/H transponders and also 22kHz tone which switches the LNB between low and high bands, so it covers all the LO frequencies.

If each of the 4 outputs on your LNB are different, such as vertical high, vertical low, horizontal high, horizontal low, you'll need to connect all four LNB outputs to a multiswitch, then a single cable to your TV.

Example:

Have you tested the new LNB with your TV?

If you can provide the specs for your new LNB, that would be most helpful.

I'll also move this thread to the Newbie Satellite section.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

I think your LNB is probably a 4 output Universal if you bought it over the counter. Bottom line is you will need to provide the details on the sticker on the LNB itself or in its packaging. Rather than get up on the roof you might like to go to where you bought the LNB from and ask to take a pic of its label. Best not to leave the 3 unused ports open to the elements. Shop might have covers available.
    Might as well upload the model number of the TV as well.

Personally, I would rather have a "sacrificial/updatable" external receiver than have the TV do all the work. Your next TV might cost a little less too.

hth,
    Dave
    Smith & Wesson. Now that's a point and click interface!

Thanks

Hi Misteron.

Your LG should be fine just to connect up to your Quad Output LNB.
    Most LCD Panels over here in NZ come out with Dual DTT Terrrestrial/Satellite Tuners for the Receiving of our Freeview Services.
    This was done because not all of NZ has Terrestrial DTT Coverage - So Satellite is the second Option.

Basically you just need to know the Local Oscillator Freq of your LNB, be it 9750/10600, 10700, 10750 ,11300Mhz etc
    It may even be that your LG will Auto Search and detect the LNB in use.
    After that you may have to select what Satellite you want to scan - or the Set maybe Prompt you if you wish to search for Just "Freeview Satellite Services" only or "Satellite".
    The Freeview Option just basically loads the Freeview Transponders only - and wont load any other Free Feeds or Encrypted Services.

I know the Samsung's, Panasonic's and Sony's automatically resolve what Type of LNB is installed here in NZ - which makes it super easy for those not Tech Savvy.
    Give it a try and see how you go.
    You can always do a factory reset and start again.

Cheers

Ren
    Last edited by Rentakill; 03-02-23 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Typo