Thread: when to to say enough

Thanks

Default when to to say enough

Hi All

at what point should you just say enough when it comes to a car?

For example I have a 4x4 that has had the clock spring fail in it. and the master break cylinder fail and now there seems to be an airbag fault (this may be related to the clock spring)

It has got me thinking, at what point do you say "ok thats enough" and move the car on?

I do have a few cars but they now seem to have varying different issues.

2008 model honda civic has an interesting clunk in the rear wheels I have had difficulty isolating and AC that sometimes doesn't work (i believe it is over charged) its done 108k km
    2000 Ford Fairlane project car. has a misfire that is spark leads and coils. and needs new ball joints (no issues with that i have them ready to fit just havnt felt like putting them in)
    2008 Pathfinder is the above mentioned 4x4 done 250k km.

Currently using the Civic because it seems to be safe.

I would like to consolidate to 1 vehicle that does everything but that's not really possible. I have not seen an economical 4x4 that uses as little fuel as a civic but can haul heavy loads that can be purchased for a reasonable price.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Yeah take it to the recyclers mate.. It's on a Datto..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Yeah take it to the recyclers mate.. It's on a Datto..
    the Pathfinder or the Civic or both?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

for me , i generally say enough when parts for the car become too difficult to get.
    Luckily here in QLD with no annual inspections you can get away with a lot of issues not being repaired in a hurry whereas back in NSW the car had an annual inspection so stuff had to be fixed reasonably quickly.
    with the Pathfinder im sure that you can buy a clock spring for it on Ebay , and its an easy fix.

just before i sold the NM Pajero 6 years ago it brought up an ABS light , which turned out to be a clock spring issue , no continuity to the airbag. you wouldnt believe it an RWC was being carried out the next day lol. so in desparation i soldered an 11ohm resistor across the airbag leads under the shroud which got the car through RWC while i ordered another on ebay. clock spring arrived 3 days later , fitted 30 mins later , problem solved .

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-01-23)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    for me , i generally say enough when parts for the car become too difficult to get.
    Luckily here in QLD with no annual inspections you can get away with a lot of issues not being repaired in a hurry whereas back in NSW the car had an annual inspection so stuff had to be fixed reasonably quickly.
    with the Pathfinder im sure that you can buy a clock spring for it on Ebay , and its an easy fix.
    I was actually a little surprised to see that Amayama list a 2008 Path'y clockspring as being 'permanently out of stock'....man, they don't carry spares for long anymore.

Not that it matters, it just opens the door for aftermarket ...

I think NSW are the only state doing annual vehicle inspections, but I don't think that'll hold sway forever

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post

just before i sold the NM Pajero 6 years ago it brought up an ABS light , which turned out to be a clock spring issue , no continuity to the airbag. you wouldnt believe it an RWC was being carried out the next day lol. so in desparation i soldered an 11ohm resistor across the airbag leads under the shroud which got the car through RWC while i ordered another on ebay. clock spring arrived 3 days later , fitted 30 mins later , problem solved .
    the master cylinder is NLA from Nissan and there is no after market alternative. apparently for the brief period of time my particular model had this master cylinder before changing it up. as a result it is not available and the only option is to get it sent away for rebuild.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    the master cylinder is NLA from Nissan and there is no after market alternative. apparently for the brief period of time my particular model had this master cylinder before changing it up. as a result it is not available and the only option is to get it sent away for rebuild.

Two versions, one for vehicle with VDC, the other without... probable narvapart have them...

edit: Should've mentioned these have aluminium bores and aren't an easy rebuild
    Last edited by wotnot; 17-01-23 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Two versions, one for vehicle with VDC, the other without... probable narvapart have them...

edit: Should've mentioned these have aluminium bores and aren't an easy rebuild
    nah the part number that is associated with my one is different again. when i was doing the search for this part they where unavailable everywhere that i looked. i am fairly sure this site was also one i engaged with.

My model has VDC so it will be interesting to find out if one from an earlier pathfinder model or later will work.

However i have been told by Nissan and by another place i called that the part was in use for 8 months between 2007 and 2008

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The NT inspect every vehicle over 5 years old annually, too. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. It has saved me! Back in the day every vehicle had to go over the pits annually, even brand new ones. Mine was only 12 months old at the time and, as we were heading "south" over the Stuart Highway which was dirt back then, I booked in for my inspection with a "licensed" inspection station. They came up with a few things that needed doing, all of which I knew were crap! I then took time out of prep to go into the motor registry who were the authority on such inspections and told them what the "inspector" said, and my opinion. They duly inspected my car and agreed with me, but they then took me underneath and said "Look at this!". MY pitman arm was about to fall off! An accident waiting to happen and the original "inspector" missed it!!!!!! Duly fixed and we had a safe trip to Adelaide!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

nah the part number that is associated with my one is different again. when i was doing the search for this part they where unavailable everywhere that i looked. i am fairly sure this site was also one i engaged with.

My model has VDC so it will be interesting to find out if one from an earlier pathfinder model or later will work.

However i have been told by Nissan and by another place i called that the part was in use for 8 months between 2007 and 2008

A mate has one who ran into this crap ~ the key factor is right hand drive. Iirc the workaround was to buy the left hand drive unit, and get the brake cylinder hardlines remade to suit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    A mate has one who ran into this crap ~ the key factor is right hand drive. Iirc the workaround was to buy the left hand drive unit, and get the brake cylinder hardlines remade to suit.
    yeah i can find the US version no worries but it seems to have additional ports.

I realize this listing is minimum 10 purchase too however if it is correct at the price it is listed for it doesn't come out that much more than would be expected for the correct RHD one. the price is a little cheap however for my liking for a critical breaking component.

the part number is 46010-EB327

Premium Member
    Thanks

That link is for bulk buyers in the aftermarket parts game... they end up looking like this --> (not original part, wrong nissan logo, wrong price...ie; I can source genuine NOS if you want to pay close to $1k for it =) If you do a search on ebay.co.uk for this, you get the idea...

You can't use a non VDC part -- VDC requires front/rear brake pressure sensing (port sizes are also different... M10 vs M12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

the Pathfinder or the Civic or both?
    Sorry mate, I was somewhat impaired when I typed that. It was meant to say "it's only a Datto" , referring to the Neeesan..