Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 64 bit using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Windows 7 64 bit using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)

Last week I decided to replace our i7 GPU (Desktop) from RTX 3070 to a RTX 3080ti so I did the right thing and used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to get rid of all the old 3070 drivers but I never expected to cause issue with Windows 7 on Start up.
    See after I got the new GPU the RTX 3080ti and use the latest driver from nvidia.com on the effected computer It work ok for a few minutes but when I did a cold start Win 7 locked up either on the Motherboard photo or mainly "Starting Window screen" or when the 4 colour come up and becomes a Flag and it would hang there.
    Sometime after re-booting it went on the black screen to make you to repair Windows or Safe Mode, yes it was bad.
    Now Display Driver Uninstaller DDU tell you to install it in SAFE MODE ONLY so I did this but never expect it to fix the issue you have to get rid of it so trying to uninstall DDU. Tried it, It did not wont to go, Tried again and it still did not uninstall so I become desperate and reboot the computer + F8 that gave me SAFE MODE where I used to find ADD and REMOVE programs and selected DDU, Remove and it was gone. After this I rebooted the computer also the computer rebooted by itself once and ever since its now 5 days with multiple starts per days and touch wood the issues are gone.
    Done google on this and found two other instances with DDU and Win 7 64 bit causing issues on start up.
    I don't think DDU did not remove important start up files or corrupt them maybe DDU had a file where Win 7 start up did not like it so after it was successfully removed the computer was happy.
    The last time I used DDU on another i7 with a RTX 3060ti (could be wrong) to replace it with another RTX 3080 ti I did not use it in Safe Mode. What do you think,

2. Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quoting..."For those still using Windows 7, the deadline to upgrade from it has passed - it's now an unsupported operating system (OS). So unless you want to leave your laptop or PC open to bugs, faults, and cyber attacks, you best upgrade it sharpish."

This is where you are ~ you don't actually need anything like this on win10/11, it automagically downloads the appropriate driver once the (different,newer) card is plugged in. (I don't use windows myself, but my nephew does and this is exactly what I saw happen =)

I -do- realize you will have reasons for using win7, but, doing so leaves you open to issues like this, which nobody cares about (as it's now unsupported) ; most folks I know who have a specific need to run older windows releases, do so on a separate machine, or same machine with 2 hdrives (1 for windows current, the other for older winxx)....and many do it via VM installed in windows current.

If, perchance, the only reason you run win7 is 'personal preference', then you are going to need get used to wasting this sort of time (time typing your post here, time fighting with the machine itself, time finding a solution, blablabla) ~ that is the 'cost' of your personal preference...simply put 8)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Quoting..."For those still using Windows 7, the deadline to upgrade from it has passed - it's now an unsupported operating system (OS). So unless you want to leave your laptop or PC open to bugs, faults, and cyber attacks, you best upgrade it sharpish."

This is where you are ~ you don't actually need anything like this on win10/11, it automagically downloads the appropriate driver once the (different,newer) card is plugged in. (I don't use windows myself, but my nephew does and this is exactly what I saw happen =)

I -do- realize you will have reasons for using win7, but, doing so leaves you open to issues like this, which nobody cares about (as it's now unsupported) ; most folks I know who have a specific need to run older windows releases, do so on a separate machine, or same machine with 2 hdrives (1 for windows current, the other for older winxx)....and many do it via VM installed in windows current.

If, perchance, the only reason you run win7 is 'personal preference', then you are going to need get used to wasting this sort of time (time typing your post here, time fighting with the machine itself, time finding a solution, blablabla) ~ that is the 'cost' of your personal preference...simply put 8)
    Well put it this way I have 4 Computers one with windows 10 the others has win 7 64 bit. I need the one with all my Sat Programs to work on Win 10 if so I will do this as the veeee eights start soon. I can back all my sat box Ultimo 4K box on all computers + others sat boxes like the duo2 and other. Yes at least one more Win 10 replacing win 7 will be good enough for me. Maybe this weekend I can make time to try the other programs

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Ddu is totally unnecessary in this case.

Just replace graphics card and go.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Sadly, all of the above is true! DDU is (probably a third party) app that has, obviously, caused more trouble than it was worth. Is there a good reason why you have remained with W7? Good being the operative word here.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

From years of personal experience once Windows is stuffed, it's stuffed and it looks clear to me that your DDU stuffed it.
    No amount of repair attempts are worth the effort and risk of heart attacks.

Full new install always brings satisfaction as a lot of corpses from past dodgy installs (like everything Adobe) are also gone.
    I always ended up with a better working system than before and could hand the machine over to the person who owned it with a smile.

If the machine does nothing critical and you think it ain't broke, don't 'fix'(reinstall) it. Up to you but not my thing.

Windows 7 is especially dodgy with it's 'repair' feature, if it was't working great before I used it, it certainly was fully stuffed WHEN I used it.

Today I can comfortably say there are 3 versions of Windows that actually qualify as usable operating systems (for their era):

Win98SE - now only as VM for that retro feel and certain games, although GOG has pretty much all of them covered.
    WinXp - still 'a must have' for controlling many machines as a native install.
    Windows 11 - I fully understand why Win7 users stayed away from Win8 and 10, but that is all gone.

Windows 11 is no longer the annoying ugly shyte (now actually fairly user friendly), provided you install Simple Wall to block all Microsoft's spyware telemetry and random updates with three ticked boxes and untick the one box for the updates when YOU want them done!
    Satan only knows how many hours I always spent to make Windows 10 what I consider safe, clean and usable myself, because I didn't want to download dodgy ameliorated versions.
    Hence the reason why I hung on to Windows7 on some machines for so long.

Like Hoe said, Nvidia looks after your drivers for you and AFAIK they still support Windows 7 but it is too late now. You are better of with fresh install.

I get Windows 11 for free because I am in the Insider Channel.
    Anybody can become a Microsoft 'Insider'
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-02-23 at 09:16 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (17-02-23),lsemmens (16-02-23),red star (15-02-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Like Hoe said, Nvidia looks after your drivers for you and AFAIK they still support Windows 7 but it is too late now. You are better of with fresh install.

'
    No I dont play games and sometime if new drivers can cause issue with my program I use.
    Again the effected computer with DDU is ok after removing it but this computer will have to change with Win 10 soon after I do more test. I need to buy another Sat Card that uses PCIe ! (the small slot) or what ever they call it.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 16-02-23 at 05:56 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I'd suggest, fester, that his system is unsuitable for W11.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I'd suggest, fester, that his system is unsuitable for W11.
    If it runs W10, it runs W11 as upgrade after you do this if the setup refuses:

• 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup'
    • Right-click 'Setup' and select New > Key, name the new key 'LabConfig'
    • Right-click the key and select New > DWORD (32-bit), creating values for 'BypassTPMCheck', 'BypassRAMCheck', and 'BypassSecureBootCheck'. Set the 'Value data' for all of these to 1.

Anyhow OP has it all sorted it seems.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-02-23 at 08:18 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

If it runs W10, it runs W11 as upgrade after you do this if the setup refuses:

• 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup'
    • Right-click 'Setup' and select New > Key, name the new key 'LabConfig'
    • Right-click the key and select New > DWORD (32-bit), creating values for 'BypassTPMCheck', 'BypassRAMCheck', and 'BypassSecureBootCheck'. Set the 'Value data' for all of these to 1.

Anyhow OP has it all sorted it seems.
    Today I will get all the Programs I use for Satellite Stuff in the effected Win 7 puter (put it in a list) and in the next day of so I will try them even If I dont have a Satellite Card/receiver in the windows 10 yes 10 computer. I have TBS 6982 in my Win 7

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Try installing nvidea drivers and fit new card.
    If no go try upgrading to w10 as pc is probably too old for w11.

Or do a fresh w7 install

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Late to reply,,, but I have to find out that the Sat Card will work on Win 10, think I can get a win 10 driver. I have one machine working on Win 10, but have to try Trans Edit 4.0. I have 3x i7 one with win 10 but need to test to see my older programs work ok on Win 10. Next week I will load Trans Edit 4.0 and others to see how they behave.
    So Far the effected win 7 that had the trouble with DDU is working ok, no issues at all

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Reload Windows and take an image....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Reload Windows and take an image....
    The effected Win 7 64 is working good as from the morning of 17/02/2023. Yes when I removed in Safe Mode DDU all become fine on last Sunday but will still investigate putting Win 10 on this puter after I find out if the Program Trans Edit 4.0 works on Win 10.

LSemmens
    Thanks

No, it does not Fester, if you do not have TPM and a UEFI BIOS (some chips do not support TPM) then SOOL. None of my machines qualify and they all run W10 64bit happily. Have a look

Thanks

No, it does not Fester, if you do not have TPM and a UEFI BIOS (some chips do not support TPM) then SOOL. None of my machines qualify and they all run W10 64bit happily. Have a look
    Neither do any of mine, at least not the TPM but I am not a sheep
    What I posted above is a registry entry to bypass the TPM check and other things.
    However on my insider W11 it was merely a matter of ticking a box to bypass the TPM check.

UEFI, that goes a way bit back. I haven't looked into that but here seems to be a solution discussed:

The only limitation that you can't get around is 64bit hardware.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-02-23 at 01:55 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Neither do any of mine, at least not the TPM but I am not a sheep
    What I posted above is a registry entry to bypass the TPM check and other things.
    However on my insider W11 it was merely a matter of ticking a box to bypass the TPM check.

UEFI, that goes a way bit back. I haven't looked into that but here seems to be a solution discussed:

The only limitation that you can't get around is 64bit hardware.
    OK I might try that when I get home. I did not read your registry hack properly first time.

Thanks

OK I might try that when I get home. I did not read your registry hack properly first time.
    It is the official Microsoft backdoor, now a not so well kept secret.

None of my old lappys/PC run secure boot either but do run from an UEFI partition.
    My son has it running on an ancient i5 Dell from the (school) bin.

For me W11 has a more Unix-like look and feel. Less annoyances, Cortana can't be seen anywhere and after an update my privacy settings don't seem messed up like with W10.
    All my old external hardware with associated software from the Y2K era works, some dating back to 1998. Had loads of trouble with W10.

Simplewall, a third party free firewall that is supposed to let you choose when when updates happen didn't stop an overnight update recently.
    This messed something up for me, so will I keep Windows offline again most of the time and will continue to use Linux for that application.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-02-23 at 12:24 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (22-02-23)

Thanks

Today I got another TPS 6982 sat card cheaply for the computer and can get on the net the Windows 10 driver to suit the 6982. See I always relied one computer to connect to all my dishs but now after the Failure of my i7 (going now) I will have the duplicate on the Windows 10 computer. Yeah Happy now.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

...I'm actually loving it with the win11 release ~ 2ndhand marketplace is glutted with business/commercial/thin-client machines cheap, because they don't qualify for win11... it's awesome ; currently building a Amiga emulator games box out of one =)