Thread: Scooter Charger needed

Premium Member

Thanks

Default Scooter Charger needed

Hi all,
    Long time no see/hear.. Lot's been going on - too much!

For another post my Philips Airfryer stopped working. Being the genius I am and from a lot of help and advice from you Guys and Gals, I thought I knew what I was doing!
    Nevertheless, It is still faulty. I will get some photo's and describe my feeble attempt to get it back and running...

For now though, I have been given an option to purchase an Electric Scooter. Not so 'cheap', but cheap enough, so far. But it has no charger.
    Not a problem I thought. How hard could it be...?
    It requires a 63v 1.8A charger.

Turns out it has special shaped 'lugs/holes'??
    To get the 'original' is over $100. But generic 63v 2.0A chargers are out there for $25+

Does anyone know the name of the type of socket and if so, where can get it?
    I was thinking of just getting a good 63v charger and putting this weird socket on the end.

I include the $117 (from Aliexpress), official charger socket, and the actual charging port on the Scooter...

Thanks all.
    GT250.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Welcome back.

Two options.
    1. Make one using pins that fit and imbed in epoxy.
    2. Change the one on the scooter to something readily available that fits. Keep old one to return to standard if necessary.

Make sure the scooter is fully functionable before buying.
    With no charger, how does the seller charge the batteries ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

GT250 (11-03-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

@GT250 , im into E scooters , looks like the one you are looking at is a Zero10+ . be very careful buying here , batteries for those things are $700+ and if there is no single/dual charger with it , its probably been stolen!! Im serious . And if there is no charger chances are its been ridden till flat , which again ruins the batteries. Anyhow , look up a site on FB called E Scoot Now , he has all the connectors you need for any scoot

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

GT250 (11-03-23)

Premium Member

Thanks

Hi guys and gals, and in these really weird times - them, we and they...
    Ok. No, it's not stolen.
    I work for a major charity and of course it receives donations. These donations come from all walks of life. Clearing out, moved on, divorces and sometimes deceased estates.
    It's very common to get things missing from a set. A beautiful (mahogany), Tallboy came in yesterday, with one draw missing...

Hopefully, I have cleared up the 'stolen' issue. The Scooter has been priced by a Manager.
    I am working out if it is worth the $550 being asked for it.

Hi Resch and VV

The Scooter is a Inmotion S1. And VV, whilst it does have dual charging ports, only one charger is needed. Dual chargers = twice the charging speed, but I'm in no rush _
    VV, interesting if it is a Zero10+ charging port. As today the local Scooter Hut hasn't got any chargers in stock and not due any soon!

If the Zero 10+'s use a 63v charger and has those lugs, then maybe I can look that way?

The Inmotion S1 I am looking at has a flat rear tire (have not looked at it closely yet as my duties don't allow me access to where it is most of the day), so it might just need pumping up, or has a nail in it.
    The rear tail light has tape over it!

It runs and powers up ok. I have downloaded the App for it and connected to it via BT. The milage - AS SHOWN ON THE APP - is 140kms, so I don't' know how true/accurate that is.

As the cost of the 'original' charger is listed at Scooter Hut at $99 and - for some reason - on Aliexpress at $117, I am weighing up the worthiness of buying it.

I've read that (And Inmotion says), that only the original charger should be used (and of course they will say that). However, If I buy this $550 piece of kit, can I risk a vanilla $30 charger, with modding the inputs?
    These e-scooters batteries are pretty sensitive from what I have read. I know that this S1 has a BMS on board.

My Op was to find out if I should/could take the risk of a DIY job on the charger side.

VV, I'll have to PM you about the rear tire, as the mod gods may not be happy with an 'off topic' in the electronics section

Thanks all,
    GT250.

EDIT: I have a faulty Philps Air Fryer. Will hopefully get time to make a new post tomorrow. I'm sure you will all have a good laugh at my feeble attempts to fix it ....
    Last edited by GT250; 10-03-23 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Im not sure if you should risk a non genuine charger , some have a temp sensor input to the BMS from the charger and if the two dont talk properly it may not charge properly. At the end of the day if you cant test ride you still dont know if the batteries / controllers / motors / throttle have any faults. For $550 bux i wouldnt take the risk on it. Maybe for $100 i would. A new tyre and tube will run to another $60. Batteries are $700 and controllers are $400. Replace just one of those on an unknown scooter and you end up going backwards out the door. Personally I would look on marketplace for one which you can test ride , has charger , one owner and may only be replaced due to an upgrade.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

GT250 (11-03-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Given the additional information provided, I would spend the $99.00 for the correct charger.

Definitely test as best you can before buying.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

GT250 (11-03-23)

Premium Member

Thanks

Yeah, ok.
    I'll look at getting an original charger. As VV say's they (Inmotion), may have wizardry in the charger that talks to the batteries...

VV, I can get a tire from Scooter Hut for $45. But they told me that I can put a Segway Max - Runflat - tire on it for (yikes), $95. According to them it has 'goop/slime' etc in it.
    But they said if I got a puncture it will only hold sufficiently for about a week! ?

I was thinking of getting some slime from Supercheap $25 and doing it myself. What do you think?

With changing the tire: The only video I can see on doing it is in French on YT. Looks like a ball ache.
    VV, Scooter Hut charge $50 to change a tire, do you reckon it's worth it - so all up $95 ?

Reschs: The battery indicator is showing 4 bars (close to full), and I have ridden it for about 50mtrs and it felt ok (besides the wobble from the flat rear tire). If the scooter is faulty (say won't charge etc), I will be able to return it. However, then I will be the proud owner of a used 63v charger, LOL!

All good fun

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Given the costs and time, is it really worth your effort? I'm looking from a practical POV here, not the fun/learning factor
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-03-23)