Thread: Telstra NBN – static IP flips

Thanks

Default Telstra NBN – static IP flips

When I plug Telstra router into NBN modem I am getting correct public static address 144.x.x.x however when I switch Telstra router to Cisco ASA, I am getting a different IP 60.x.x.x I am using DHCP on ASA.
    Telstra support do not support user hardware so they recommendation was to use theirs. Any ideas why this occurs.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Telstra uses cgnat.

What you are seeing on the Cisco is a telstra assigned 'internal network' address, which is transparent when using the telstra modem, but still used.

Your public ip address, which you see on the telstra modem, is the same when using the Cisco and is what is seen by 'the Internet' . It is shared by multiple telstra clients.

It basically works the same way as your router assigning internal ip addresses to allow all your devices to share your external ip address.

They do this to enable more connections, as its cheaper than upgrading to ipv6.

Port forwarding will not work properly with cgnat, if at all, it also adds Latency. Its not good for gaming and things like iptv.

You can opt out of it by calling telstra technical support.

A lot of isps allow you to do this via their dashboard.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 04-04-23 at 10:02 PM.