Thread: Contractors Requesting sigin off on incomplete jobs

Thanks

Default Contractors Requesting sigin off on incomplete jobs

Hi All.

I have noticed with all the work being done at my place that contractors be that builders or electrical contractors tend to request sign off on the job before they are completed the work.

When the shed was nearing completion they requested the job be signed off and final payment made prior to the job being finished then didn't come back to finish the job until a month later.

I have experienced similar recently with electrical installation. they requested sign off prior to commissioning then they found an issue with the work and don't seem to be giving me a strait answer to when the job is going to be finished.

This practice should be illegal and the government should be cracking down on it.

It seems to me that when they pressure the home owner to sign off the work then they loose any incentive to actually finish the work.

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Hi All.

I have noticed with all the work being done at my place that contractors be that builders or electrical contractors tend to request sign off on the job before they are completed the work.

When the shed was nearing completion they requested the job be signed off and final payment made prior to the job being finished then didn't come back to finish the job until a month later.

I have experienced similar recently with electrical installation. they requested sign off prior to commissioning then they found an issue with the work and don't seem to be giving me a strait answer to when the job is going to be finished.

This practice should be illegal and the government should be cracking down on it.

It seems to me that when they pressure the home owner to sign off the work then they loose any incentive to actually finish the work.
    Truck them, Finish all work then get payed. Sick of stuff like this. If you pay them Bye Bye Mr BAZZY

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

wotnot (25-03-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

I’ve had plenty of works done over the years, and occasionally had a request for early sign off, all related from memory wanting to do so to allow payments to be made. On each occasion I declined.

By agreeing works are completed, when they are not, serves the owner no benefit (accept in a very limit range of circumstances) - so why the heck would do it?

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

wotnot (25-03-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    I’ve had plenty of works done over the years, and occasionally had a request for early sign off, all related from memory wanting to do so to allow payments to be made. On each occasion I declined.

By agreeing works are completed, when they are not, serves the owner no benefit (accept in a very limit range of circumstances) - so why the heck would do it?
    Its a bit hard when they shove it in front of you and say sign here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Its a bit hard when they shove it in front of you and say sign here.
    Sorry mate, but I don’t see how this is hard. If they haven’t completed the work don’t sign the paperwork.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

wotnot (25-03-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Never sign off, and never pay the final payment until the work has been completed, and any inspections or official approvals have been passed. That is the normal procedure. If you don't do it this way, you can get hung out to dry.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (25-03-23)