Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Contractors Requesting sigin off on incomplete jobs

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    bazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland, Australia, Earth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 196 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    279
    Reputation
    3865

    Default Contractors Requesting sigin off on incomplete jobs

    Hi All.

    I have noticed with all the work being done at my place that contractors be that builders or electrical contractors tend to request sign off on the job before they are completed the work.

    When the shed was nearing completion they requested the job be signed off and final payment made prior to the job being finished then didn't come back to finish the job until a month later.

    I have experienced similar recently with electrical installation. they requested sign off prior to commissioning then they found an issue with the work and don't seem to be giving me a strait answer to when the job is going to be finished.

    This practice should be illegal and the government should be cracking down on it.

    It seems to me that when they pressure the home owner to sign off the work then they loose any incentive to actually finish the work.



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Senior Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    4,301
    Thanks
    1,173
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts
    Rep Power
    725
    Reputation
    21825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Hi All.

    I have noticed with all the work being done at my place that contractors be that builders or electrical contractors tend to request sign off on the job before they are completed the work.

    When the shed was nearing completion they requested the job be signed off and final payment made prior to the job being finished then didn't come back to finish the job until a month later.

    I have experienced similar recently with electrical installation. they requested sign off prior to commissioning then they found an issue with the work and don't seem to be giving me a strait answer to when the job is going to be finished.

    This practice should be illegal and the government should be cracking down on it.

    It seems to me that when they pressure the home owner to sign off the work then they loose any incentive to actually finish the work.
    Truck them, Finish all work then get payed. Sick of stuff like this. If you pay them Bye Bye Mr BAZZY

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

    wotnot (25-03-23)

  • #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    641
    Reputation
    20844

    Default

    Iíve had plenty of works done over the years, and occasionally had a request for early sign off, all related from memory wanting to do so to allow payments to be made. On each occasion I declined.

    By agreeing works are completed, when they are not, serves the owner no benefit (accept in a very limit range of circumstances) - so why the heck would do it?

  • The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

    wotnot (25-03-23)

  • #4
    Senior Member
    bazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland, Australia, Earth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 196 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    279
    Reputation
    3865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Iíve had plenty of works done over the years, and occasionally had a request for early sign off, all related from memory wanting to do so to allow payments to be made. On each occasion I declined.

    By agreeing works are completed, when they are not, serves the owner no benefit (accept in a very limit range of circumstances) - so why the heck would do it?
    Its a bit hard when they shove it in front of you and say sign here.

  • #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    641
    Reputation
    20844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Its a bit hard when they shove it in front of you and say sign here.
    Sorry mate, but I donít see how this is hard. If they havenít completed the work donít sign the paperwork.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

    wotnot (25-03-23)

  • #6
    Senior Member
    bob_m_54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,093
    Thanks
    1,057
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts
    Rep Power
    636
    Reputation
    20178

    Default

    Never sign off, and never pay the final payment until the work has been completed, and any inspections or official approvals have been passed. That is the normal procedure. If you don't do it this way, you can get hung out to dry.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

    wotnot (25-03-23)

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •