Thread: Extended Vehicle Warranties- Worth the money?

Thanks

Default Extended Vehicle Warranties- Worth the money?

My new car warranty is just about to expire. (although i bought the car 2nd hand)

so i was wondering if other Austechians have ever bothered with an extended warranty?

I had one on my BA falcon and got the whining diff replaced (reco) under the extended warranty but overall it would have been cheaper to just pay the repair bill.

any thoughts, good, bad or otherwise.

The one for my car apparently covers everthing, inc electrics, brakes, transmission, motor, electronics etc. it seems very comprehensive.
    i will have to read the fine print though

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    My new car warranty is just about to expire. (although i bought the car 2nd hand)

so i was wondering if other Austechians have ever bothered with an extended warranty?

I had one on my BA falcon and got the whining diff replaced (reco) under the extended warranty but overall it would have been cheaper to just pay the repair bill.

any thoughts, good, bad or otherwise.

The one for my car apparently covers everthing, inc electrics, brakes, transmission, motor, electronics etc. it seems very comprehensive.
    i will have to read the fine print though
    I bought a genuine Nissan extended warranty and may as well not worry about it. You're better off banging you head against a brick wall than dealing with Nissan. I just booked my car in to get a repair done that should be done under warranty that Nissan HO deemed to be wear and tear. I have all the paper work ready to go to VCAT once it's fixed next week.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I've had two on different used cars and the fine print was horrendous. They did everything in their power to weasel out of paying and demanded prompt return of all receipts for services you had done. One missed return and the warranty got cancelled.

They wanted you to go to their mechanics, not an authorised dealer and most of the mechanics were clueless about that car.

A classic was when they disallowed a claim for a blown exhaust gasket (even though they were specifically covered) because it occured due to an exhaust stud snapping (which wasn't covered)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Yes ill agree with the above 2 posts, a load of fine print where they get out on a technicality or its just plain old not covered.

Save your money, if it does need something shop around and pay for it with the money you saved.

Ill bet there would be money left over after the repair to.

Thanks

A mate of mine had a 3 year extended warranty, because it happened in the third year they applied some sort of bullshit formulae and offered hime one third cause the policy was in the third year.

It's a load of crap.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

i worked out a while ago, none of them want to do anything under warranty.....

solution is to service vehicles yourself (if you are able) and with the money saved pay for any repairs.....

Thanks

Thanks guys for the input.

btw it a 2004 rx330 lexus (a kluger with a fancy top).

got it 2nd hand a year ago and so far the only thing to go wrong since i have had it is distorted audio from the stereo.
    it actually seems like its dodgey tweeters on the left side, strange.

I know the previous owner and he never had anything go wrong with it.

and since i only do about 12000km year in it, it shouldnt wear out too quickly. (one of the problems of working from home )

Interesting thing is i am surprised that the tyres, original set, 18" protenzas still have tread left after 70,000km. mind you they are getting "a bit low" but still have a few mm to the tread wear markers.

@ z80, i would be pissed off with that "pro rata" caper though

@ hoe, it the most "ham unfriendly" car i have come across, just nowhere to mount the hf/vhf gear, too many airbags everywhere.

Guess i might just save the money (and buy a set of tyres instead )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    i worked out a while ago, none of them want to do anything under warranty.....

solution is to service vehicles yourself (if you are able) and with the money saved pay for any repairs.....
    Righton birthday boy
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

We bought a Volvo XC70 and got the 3 yr extended warranty ~$1500. The transmission had some problems - had to pay for a software upgrade. Still problems rebuild on some components $4000. The paid us within 10 days. I think it was worth it. Saved us plenty - no hassles