Thread: Anyone reading digital magazines?

Thanks

Default Anyone reading digital magazines?

Hi there,
    One of my magazines, has decided to change from normal paper magazine to digital only. I am old school and like my paper magazines, I never subscribed, but I did buy it monthly at the newsagent. But now I am thinking how am I supposed read a digital magazine? So how do people read digital magazines, do they read digital magazines? My guess would be using a tablet, but tablets are small in comparison to an actual magazine. I guess the other option would be on a PC, but I would rather read it anywhere but that. I was going to buy one to try it out, but the other pain, is they want a heap of info, I never needed to give the newsagent when I bought my magazine. So for now I am not reading that magazine any more.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

Short answer ~ money. It is no longer economically viable to produce printed magazines, unless you have a large base of paying subscribers. If you don't have that, a digital magazine is cheaper to produce, but it's still not 'free' and somebody has to pay editorial wages (get advertisers to pay for content inclusion, blabla). In the online world, you can recoup these costs by extracting data from subscribers, and selling same to marketing organizations.

Which magazine btw?

Thanks

Short answer ~ money. It is no longer economically viable to produce printed magazines, unless you have a large base of paying subscribers. If you don't have that, a digital magazine is cheaper to produce, but it's still not 'free' and somebody has to pay editorial wages (get advertisers to pay for content inclusion, blabla). In the online world, you can recoup these costs by extracting data from subscribers, and selling same to marketing organizations.
    Yeah I understand why they have done it, just not happy about it.

Which magazine btw?
    Diyode magazine

• The Following User Says Thank You to rockyd For This Useful Post:

wotnot (11-04-23)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

Yeah, I get you.... the local rag tried on the same thing -- lasted a year, company got bought out, now you can view the site online without the registration BS...

....as it stands here, your subscription buys you this much...

....so.... considering you're going to need use a device to view it -anyway- , and if you can do without those {ahem} subscription 'perks' above, you can read the issue online for free...ie;

Or....perhaps you'd rather view their youtube channel.... (hint: install ublock_origin if you want to watch youtube ad-free)

Or.....maybe go to their website, and print out articles you want to read?

Point is, there's ways and means to view the content, for free..... I suppose one has to sit there, think, and realize printed magazines for Diyode have gone, end of story....and figure out if it's worth the cost to see the content 48hours before 'anonymous' viewer, pay for ad content removal ... and have access to articles already archived/held on their digital platforms of choice.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    ......Or....perhaps you'd rather view their youtube channel.... (hint: install ublock_origin if you want to watch youtube ad-free)......
    Over the last few weeks I noticed uBlock_Origin has stopped blocking Youtube ads, for a while it was only some channels, now it seems to be all of them that I view, I haven't been able to stop them with it.
    I guess google's been frigging with things again, I had to install Adblocker for Youtube which does stop them all
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

wotnot (11-04-23)