Thread: Old TomTom XL questions

Thanks

Default Old TomTom XL questions

Hi guys. Just have some questions about this old TomTom XL GPS I'm still using. Lately it has been very handy for my job (part time truck driver - local streets, not interstate). It has gotten me to 99% of the places I have had to go, but having an old set of Australian maps/map data from when I purchased it (sometime arouind 2008), I have had to rely on my phone for the last kilometer/closest street or address if you understand. What I'm asking is, can this device be updated with current Australian street map data or not? I don't want to get rid of this GPS as it's still really useful - just needs updated maps. The other small issue is the original battery is pretty much dying because I can't set the clock - the unit won't keep the time when turned off or while I'm using it - in that respect I've found a replacement battery which I can purchase and install at a later date. Other question is, can the internal storage be upgraded or am I stuck with it (I think the card is a 1GB memory card)? I'm not too worried about the internal storage card size if I can get current map data to fit onto it. As below, this is all the information I've taken from the unit - both from the software and TomTom Home and the still relevant stickers attached to the unit. Any help would be really, really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Information from software when device is on:-
    Device AKSZC CSD6J
    App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
    32 MB RAM (free: 6.9 MB)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
    Map: 'Australia' v925.5409
    Language: English UK

Information on sticker on back of device:-
    S/N : RH2288G03981
    8EG0.025.00.7.52

Information on sticker on bottom of device:-
    TomTom XL
    4EG0.001.08

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I didn't think people still use the old Tomtom devices but anyway two questions or suggestions:
    1. Did you setup your TomTom account and checked if any updates available from TomTom site - official path. I doubt it is still supported by TomTom but pays to check.
    2. Did you check iGo section - I didn't check the myself as I got rid of my TomTom years ago. So you can check and try at your own risk.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

The clock issue may not be entirely the battery, some of it might be because of the that happened last year.
    My older devices that don't have the rollover adjustments included in their firmware, some keep correct time (must be set manually) some don't.
    The ones that don't and keep reverting to the wrong time I think are set to auto get their time and date from the satellites, which because of the rollover is now showing 19 years out of date.
    Other ones where the software allows me to set and save the time manually seem to keep the correct time ok, but the date is always 19 years out.

EDIT: the maps in the iGO section won't work on a TomTom, they're from the provider TomTom but actually in the .fbl format suitable for NNG's iGO8 and iGO Primo software.
    Last edited by Jma; 29-04-23 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More Info
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I was inundated with emails from TomTom recently regarding the "death" of my legacy TomTom due to the previously mentioned GPS week number rollover. They just bombarded me warnings and how I should buy a new one. I wish they would have just wrote the update into a firmware update but...

Thanks

Default Reply to Old TomTom XL questions

Hi fromaron. in answer to your questions about my questions, the first, yes - setup TomTom account and checked if any updates available from TomTom site - official path - all up to date as far as I can make out. Used TomTom Home on my Hackintosh Mac to check for all required updates - all fine.
    Second, what/where is this IGo section? I checked the link you provided - unfortunately the Bayfiles links come up with good old 404 errors. Any suggestions there?
    Third, would it be better to replace the existing battery? The time issue is not so bad as I figure I only need to look at the travel time from point A to point B so I'm not too bothered. If there is a fix, I would like to try and give it a go. As mentioned in my post, I've found a supplier in Sydney that stocks the correct battery for my device for $19. Happy to purchase and install. Side question - while I'm replacing the battery, can the internal storage also be upgraded at the same time?
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I really appreciate the help. Hope to hear back from you or any of the users here. Cheers!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

mtv (30-04-23),red star (30-04-23)

Thanks

I updated my TomTom at the gun range. A few bullets and it never bothered me again.

Thanks

rcambra, I don't like your chances updating old TomTom to newer maps.

Hardware is not sufficient to take current maps - not enough CPU power and storage space.
    TomTom uses their flavour of Linux OS (unless yours is Win CE) and you will not get much work happening around to allow for the storage expansion.

I noticed some enthusiasts managed to put OpenTom Linux on the old TomTom platform running Ubuntu. If you are good enough with Linux you can do it as well. The problem is I am not sure you can find any drivers to expand storage or even GPS applications suitable. I found Syqic Linux SDK available and if you are really good at programming you can build your own application.

That is all good if you really attached to the old TomTom. Otherwise, do what NoAir did and never look back.

I did it few years ago when TomTom announced their version of "Life Time Guarantee". Apparently Life Time according to TomTom is the support time for the devices, not like I assumed would be my life time .

There are plenty of good options available around which work very well nowadays.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    ......because of the that happened last year......
    Seems my clock's rolled over without a patch or firmware update too
    It wasn't last year, it was 2019.
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• 17-05-23, 11:33 PM

• 17-06-23, 05:16 AM