Thread: PoE recommendation?

Thanks

Default PoE recommendation?

Hi - we are renovating and it’s a good opportunity to update our CCTV system. We currently use Wyze IP cameras from the US. They work well enough, but are USB powered and I don’t want to mess with wall warts etc on external walls (or a cloud subscription). Is a PoE system really the way to go?

Probably after ~4 cameras. What are the suggested brands to take a look at?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i have mixed setup with Dahua and Hikvision .I find them both very good units
    working on my nvr setup
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (23-06-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 579 Posts

Yes, Dahua and Hikvision are probably two of the biggest brands of IP cameras in Australia, but you really need to have your NVR choice narrowed down before buying cameras as the cameras you buy obviously need to be supported by the NVR.

And you need to know what features you want/need (H264/H265, audio in/out, motion capture, facial recognition, number plate recognition, crowd/vehicle counting, etc.) as specific equipment may be required for each task.

And obviously you need some kind of PoE injector(s) if your switch doesn't already support PoE. But generally speaking, yes, PoE is the way to go... one connection does everything!

Several points to remember: You need to be suitably licenced to run data cabling within walls etc.; and you should only use shielded cable if there's any chance of it running anywhere near electrical equipment/wiring; and of course the cable has to be rated to carry your power delivery requirement; and if running cable anywhere that you won't be able to access later (such as within walls) I would run it within conduit (white conduit for data) and keep your runs as straight as possible so you have some chance of replacing the data cable if it ever becomes necessary, it's cheap insurance against cable failures.

That just seems like the tip of an enormous iceberg really...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (23-06-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 579 Posts

I forgot to mention, since you're renovating anyway, why not run extra data, TV aerial, and/or satellite cabling/outlets to your rooms (bedrooms and living areas at least) while you're there.

Smart TVs work so much better connected to a physical Ethernet (versus WiFi). And don't forget to allow provision for other smart appliances like a refrigerator.

Actually, speaking of refrigerators, a water supply behind the fridge is also a must have for any modern appliance with an ice maker!