Thread: Sata drive keeps disappearing

Thanks

Default Sata drive keeps disappearing

Not sure if any of you have seen this happen before?

I have a PC running Windows Server 2003 which has three hard drives installed. An 80G holds the system files, a 500G holds the data and a 120G holds a backup of some of the 500G data. The pc is a Dell Optiflex GX270 mini-tower that is powered on 24/7 and permanently connected to the internet.

For some reason the Y: drive keeps dropping out. It's a brand new internal Sata drive. I have replaced the sata cables and also swapped the power connector over. It seems to run fine when I have the pc open, but the drive disappears without warning (and also after I close the case and reboot).

Any ideas?

(I have tried to upgrade the bios just in case it's something to do with that, but at this stage Server 2003 won't let me do it).

Look Here ->
    Thanks

maybe try changing the drive to another sata port, just for trial and error, see what happens.. Only other thing, Is If its the 500GB drive maybe the Bios or motherboard cant handle or doesnt like that size drive... could be many things...

Thanks

could be a psu problem mate, those dells arent reallly made to take on upgrades/expansions.

but as streeter said its pretty much just trial and error untill you get it right,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streeter75 View Post
    maybe try changing the drive to another sata port, just for trial and error, see what happens.. Only other thing, Is If its the 500GB drive maybe the Bios or motherboard cant handle or doesnt like that size drive... could be many things...
    There are two sata ports and the problem exists when in either. Do you need a specific driver for sata or should it work like a normal IDE HDD?

Still can't get the bios updated. I have a suspicion that there is bios protection enabled but I can't find out how to remove/disable it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    could be a psu problem mate, those dells arent reallly made to take on upgrades/expansions.

but as streeter said its pretty much just trial and error untill you get it right,
    Yeah, I've read about the capacitor issues on some GX270 boards but I don't think it's related. Could be a psu problem - I have three HDD's and CDROM but they are not usually all running at the same time. I backed up from one HDD to another when the case was open and there weren't any dramas.

Just thought of something? I wonder if the cable is a little loose and when I close the case it 'pops out' disconnecting the drive??? Might have a look at this as well.