Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Life and times of a black hole

Thanks

One of the more intriguing findings of the study, Ricarte noted, has to do with the way the largest black holes in the universe interact with their host galaxies over time. The researchers found that SMBHs and their hosts grow in tandem, and that the relationship is "self-correcting," independent of the kind of environment they inhabit. The more mass around them the quicker and bigger they grow.

"If the SMBH starts to grow too rapidly and gets too big for its galactic home, physical processes ensure that its growth slows down relative to the galaxy," Tremmel explained.When the material runs out it does not grow as fast .

"On the other hand, if the SMBH's mass is too small for its galaxy, the SMBH's growth rate increases relative to the size of the galaxy to compensate."

Support for the research came from a number of sources, including NASA and the National Science Foundation. The research is part of the Blue Waters computing project supported by the National Science Foundation and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
    So they get the funding and then return their results that simply state the obvious but in a round about deceptive way.!

Last edited by tytower; 03-10-19 at 09:43 AM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

Here is a bit more of this . Definitely looking for finance to continue wasting their time and not doing any real work!

It must have been a big one though to fit 15 Milky way galaxies in a line into its blast crater ?.
    Last edited by tytower; 01-03-20 at 09:40 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    Definitely looking for finance to continue wasting their time and not doing any real work!
    How many times do I have to tell you Tytower? You're not supposed to drink the bong water!

That's right. The entire astronomical community has created a huge facade for the purpose of defrauding the taxpayer of revenue.
    Getting paid to look at the stars. How good is that? They don't even have to deal with centerlink. Then all they have to do is to make up a bit of a story and write it down and they're good for another couple of years. Clearly only Tytower is capable of seeing through this charade and cult of academic sky worshipers.

And what about NASA ... trillions of dollars wasted on faking all those space missions when George Lucas can show us a galaxy far far away in just a couple of hours.

Black holes... nothing good has every come out of them. Actually, nothing has come out of them.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Covid-19 must have killed Tytower because normally we'd hear something from him about this by now.

Nearest stellar mass black hole. About 6 solar masses in a trinary star system 1000 light years away.

At the other end of the stellar spectrum is the nearest brown dwarf system to earth, which is the third closest star system.
    Luhman 16

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Does anyone have any contact with Tytower IRL? I hope he's OK.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

tristen (22-05-20)

Thanks

Now this is interesting .
    Galaxy DLA0817g, nicknamed the Wolfe Disk after the late astronomer Arthur M. Wolfe, is the most distant rotating disk galaxy ever observed

seen when the universe was only ten percent of its current age
    So about 1.4 Billion years old. (The light has travelled for 12.4 Billions of years before it enters the telescope here.)

The unparalleled power of ALMA made it possible to see this galaxy spinning at 170 miles (272 kilometers) per second, similar to our Milky Way.
    So there was not enough time for it to have speeded up to that velocity.
    This seems to indicate to me that if we had the ability to see out to say 16 Billions of years ago we would observe more and indeed many plentiful galaxies.
    BUT , think about it , at what point does light just not retain any energy and just stop?
    There is no guarantee that light can continue on its journey indefinately , nothing that has been proved anyway.
    Perhaps its unable to go the distance.

Oh and I am fine Thanks ,thank you for asking.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tytower For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (21-05-20)

Thanks

I told them you'd be back Tytower.

So there was not enough time for it to have speeded up to that velocity.
    Umm.. no. That's not correct at all. 272km/s is quite slow. This is only about 500 times faster than the Earth rotates on it's own axis.
    And only 10 times faster than the earth orbits the sun. I don't think there is any mystery here.

Oh I know, lets do some calculus. Lets assume linear acceleration from the start of the universe until then.
    272km/s in 1.4 billion years. That is an acceleration of ....
    umm 1.4 billion years is umm... 44,150,400,000,000,000 seconds.

272 / 44150400000000000 = 6.16e-15 ms^-2
    This is slightly weaker than the gravitational pull of a tennis ball.

And I'm glad you're back too, because you come up with some of the most whacky ideas that when deconstructed with actual science are pretty funny.
    Lets continue and see what we can make of this sentence....

This seems to indicate to me that if we had the ability to see out to say 16 Billions of years ago we would observe more and indeed many plentiful galaxies.
    That is correct. Only you won't be able to see them for about another 1.5 billion years because light from that part of the universe has not had enough time to reach us yet.

BUT , think about it , at what point does light just not retain any energy and just stop?
    And Tytower jumps into hyperspace heading for a conclusion.
    No. Light does not just lose energy, nor does it stop or slow down. On this forum you will obey the laws of thermodynamics.
    If a photon leaves your green laser pointer and head out into space towards the edge of the universe it does not lose energy just traveling through ordinary space. When it gets to 15 billion years out, it will still be a green photo with the same energy and velocity 3e+8 m/s.

There is no guarantee that light can continue on its journey indefinately , nothing that has been proved anyway.
    Wow, two fallacies in one sentence. That is impressive.

The first fallacy is an Affirmative conclusion from a negative premise.
    "There is no guarantee that light can continue on its journey indefinitely"
    Light will continue it's journey indefinitely unless there is an obstruction and then there is equal probability of it doing so or not doing so.
    It is not a conclusive negative. (Nor is it a conclusive positive).

"nothing that has been proved anyway."
    That is a fallacy called, an argument from ignorance.
    Because something is in question the conclusion is therefore false (or true)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (23-05-20),tristen (22-05-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Watching one of my science programs the other night (love them), a theorist said that due to the universe expanding, that we will be unable to see the outer planets as time goes on!
    Does that not fly in the face of what you have just said or is there another reason for them not being seen?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

It might be a misinterpretation on your part allover.
    This is the key part of you sentence....
    "that we will be unable to see the outer planets as time goes on!"

It is incorrect. It should say .... "that we will be unable to see the more distant galaxies as time goes on!"

So the expanding universe and dark energy effects large distances on intergalactic scales. It doesn't effect things on a local scale (smaller than galaxies).
    To put it back into context as time goes by dark energy will continue to pull galaxy super clusters apart, then galaxy clusters, our of the super clusters, and then galaxies out of the clusters.

But this is going to take billions of years. So in terms of "us" this means all life in the universe. The entire existence of humans and any other life on earth... meh. Doesn't rate.

Basically our solar system will be long long long gone before dark energy gets down to the scale of single galaxies.

----

So lets continue the story from here. In this galaxy a long long looooooooong time in the future when dark energy is strong enough to pull clusters apart.
    Gravity is no longer able to hold them in groups because dark energy is stronger and they start falling apart.
    As the reaming galaxies fade from view of billions of years, what's left in the galaxies starts to die anyway. There is no new gas, no new stars. Only old red stars exist and eventually even the red dwarfs run out of fuel and become tiny white dwarfs. The occasional type 1a supernova from merging white dwarfs and the odd kilonova from merging neutron stars but other than those the galaxy goes red and then dark and fades away of a few more billion years.

Dark Energy gets so strong that it is now able to pull galaxies apart which are just dark clusters of dark dead objects. black dwarfs, black holes, carbon and iron and a bit of helium.
    The orbits of these objects around the supermassive black hole in galaxies gets larger and larger until they fly off in all directions.

After a few more billion years dark energy gets strong enough to pull any remaining planets off their now long dead stars.
    Elon Musk's telsa has been floating in space for hundreds of billions of years at this point. Dark energy pulled it away from Sagittarius A* billions of years prior.
    It's now so strong that it can pull starman from his seat. It continues to get stronger over millions of more years and is able to rip the seats out of the car that are bolted to the floor.
    Eventually it's able to pull the paint off the chassis. Then it pulls the chassis apart the welds break and the pieces become speggittified.
    The pieces get pulled apart at the atomic level and the Telstra is now just a gas forever expanding.
    Eventually the molecules are ripped apart into individual atoms. Then the electrons are ripped from the atoms and then protons and neutrons are pulled apart in the nucleus.
    We finally get to the end of the universe. (The big rip) where the quarks are pulled apart from the protons and neutrons.
    This isn't possible so the universe once again becomes a quark-gluon soup.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

allover (22-05-20),hinekadon (23-05-20),Tiny (23-05-20),tristen (22-05-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

see I told you the earth sucks !!! thats why its flat

Thanks

If it was flat, I would have pushed a lot of you over the edge by now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

porkop (13-07-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post

So lets continue the story from here. In this galaxy a long long looooooooong time in the future when dark energy is strong enough to pull clusters apart.
    Gravity is no longer able to hold them in groups because dark energy is stronger and they start falling apart.
    As the reaming galaxies fade from view of billions of years, what's left in the galaxies starts to die anyway. There is no new gas, no new stars. Only old red stars exist and eventually even the red dwarfs run out of fuel and become tiny white dwarfs. The occasional type 1a supernova from merging white dwarfs and the odd kilonova from merging neutron stars but other than those the galaxy goes red and then dark and fades away of a few more billion years.

Dark Energy gets so strong that it is now able to pull galaxies apart which are just dark clusters of dark dead objects. black dwarfs, black holes, carbon and iron and a bit of helium.
    The orbits of these objects around the supermassive black hole in galaxies gets larger and larger until they fly off in all directions.

After a few more billion years dark energy gets strong enough to pull any remaining planets off their now long dead stars.
    Elon Musk's telsa has been floating in space for hundreds of billions of years at this point. Dark energy pulled it away from Sagittarius A* billions of years prior.
    It's now so strong that it can pull starman from his seat. It continues to get stronger over millions of more years and is able to rip the seats out of the car that are bolted to the floor.
    Eventually it's able to pull the paint off the chassis. Then it pulls the chassis apart the welds break and the pieces become speggittified.
    The pieces get pulled apart at the atomic level and the Telstra is now just a gas forever expanding.
    Eventually the molecules are ripped apart into individual atoms. Then the electrons are ripped from the atoms and then protons and neutrons are pulled apart in the nucleus.
    We finally get to the end of the universe. (The big rip) where the quarks are pulled apart from the protons and neutrons.
    This isn't possible so the universe once again becomes a quark-gluon soup.
    Just happened to see this on Dark Energy & it's effect on accelerating universal expansion.

This guy (Professor Ed Copeland) explains it well within my grasp of the subject.

Last edited by Tiny; 23-05-20 at 06:13 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (23-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    see I told you the earth sucks !!! thats why its flat
    Well if trash's story is right, then not only will it be flat, it will become one dimensional.

But then maybe it could be eventually pushed into none at all, a singularity.

I like the idea that emerged from the video that we are being pushed not pulled.
    Now it makes much more sense. Dark energy is within us and is kicking our butts, well in a relatively smooth kind of way.

...or maybe better, we, the Universe and everything are being pumped apart and as the density of our observable energy reduces from the expansion but dark energy does not because it is already everywhere, relatively speaking it can pump harder.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-05-20 at 11:14 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

WOW, those who are stuck in side due to Corona Virus, here is a series of programs to watch
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Mmm. its starting to get a bit spooky out there . Now we have black masses with a heartbeat

"It proves that such signals arising from a supermassive black hole can be very strong and persistent. It also provides the best opportunity for scientists to further investigate the nature and origin of this heartbeat signal."

And here is a rather pretty galaxy for your screen backgrounds . Its fascinating to know there may be many black masses in there pulling it this way and that but just try to viualise what else might be going on there if you could just get a bit closer.

Last edited by tytower; 13-06-20 at 09:25 AM.

lsemmens (13-06-20)

Thanks

Certain poster way back said "Nothing comes out of a black hole"...I should go find that I suppose but it bothers me not at all. Just gives me a warm chuckle.

Here is a study to try to simulate the black mass at the center of our galaxy, the milky way. Its interesting in its own right but what I noticed now is that it is readily accepted that matter is being ejected from most black masses.

The results indicated that Sagittarius A* can become magnetically arrested. This came as a surprise to the team, since the Milky Way has a relatively quiet galactic center. Usually, magnetically arrested black holes have high-energy jets shooting particles away at relativistic speeds. But so far scientists have seen little evidence for jets around Sagittarius A*.

I should make clear that this is not a racially motivated post and no arrests were made.

Full page .
    Last edited by tytower; 16-06-20 at 08:42 PM.

lsemmens (17-06-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

You almost have it right tytower !!!!! any one with a blackhole sucks ok cause nothing comes out so they are full of shit and will never be any better , thats the only reason they are called blacks nothing to do with skin colour its whats inside them

Thanks

Just a little reinforcing of the original theme of this thread.
    I think matter is always coming out of a black mass and that at some point the matter falling into it gets to such a state as to explode and recreate that galaxy again and it all starts falling back in.
    There is a "big bang" allright but I think this likely has been cycling for unimaginable trillions of years and is a cyclic thing.

The black hole is thought to gobble up the matter spiralling down into it and eject a small part of it in the form of large jets of plasma, at relativistic speeds, close to the speed of light, thus contributing to the redistribution of matter throughout the Universe.
    I don't think much of it ever gets away from the galaxy but indeed some would and perhaps even a significant volume of matter but then more falls in from outside to give a balance probably.

Source ...

Thanks

Certain poster way back said "Nothing comes out of a black hole"...I should go find that I suppose but it bothers me not at all.
    And that hasn't changed. Nothing still getting out of a black hole.
    By "a certain" do we mean the entire scientific community and most people with an interest in cosmology.

Just gives me a warm chuckle.
    Oh, I'm quite certain that thought does for the same kinds of reasons that they make Tom Cruise chuckle.

Thanks

They are looking for a 9th planet whick could be a black hole or a dark planet they say.
    Notice here how they are able to obtain research grants from large benefactors by being a bit creative .
    This is what is going on throughout academia today so some of these malingerers can keep doing nothing in particular and so do not have to do proper work.

Interesting only in that the grapefruit sized description makes you think of the amount of matter that could be compressed into a black mass. 10 of the earths into a grapefruit size?

One of the ideas put forth was the possibility that Planet Nine could be a grapefruit-sized black hole with a mass of five to ten times that of the Earth."

The focus on Planet Nine is based both in the unprecedented scientific significance that a hypothetical discovery of a planet-mass black hole in the solar system would hold as well as the continued interest in understanding what's out there. "The outskirts of the solar system is our backyard. Finding Planet Nine is like discovering a cousin living in the shed behind your home which you never knew about," said Loeb. "It immediately raises questions: why is it there? How did it obtain its properties? Did it shape the solar system history? Are there more like it?"

The research was funded in part by a grant from the Breakthrough Prize Foundation, and by Harvard's Black Hole Initiative (BHI), which is funded by grants from the John Templeton Foundation (JTF) and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation (GBMF).
    Last edited by tytower; 13-07-20 at 09:47 AM.

• Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast