Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Life and times of a black hole

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Well Tytower's last post was a bit of a disappointment.
    Nothing new to report here other than after 260 posts in this thread Tytower is still convinced the professional astronomers are wrong and shouldn't be getting paid.
    Even after his repeatedly incorrect musings have been thoroughly discredited almost to the point of ridicule.

Tytower - Austech's answer to Lysenkoism.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

tristen (21-07-20)

Thanks

Well I won't say I told you so ...Just you heard it here first folks. Exactly what I explained back on about page one . It Can't be seen coming out . Its travelling faster than light.

You just have to ignore the down putters and think for yourself .

Smart remarks like those posted on this thread just reflect the stupidity of the poster who refuses, for whatever religious or other belief or grounds, to accept the truth before his eyes and prefers to blindly follow the stories handed down of old.

Make allowances for the sad soul . He's doing the work of god I suppose.

Last edited by tytower; 22-08-20 at 12:07 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Given that we are so far from our nearest black hole, I can only imagine what sort of data we could gather, were we much closer to the event horizon. The data that we are gathering is amazing given that all we can see of a star is a dot in the sky and we have to focus on an area that "small" to see what is happening there. Some of us could not even hit the side of a barn from a few hundred feet, and here we are talking about objects hundreds, thousands, millions, or more, of light years away. Our universe is truly a wonderful place.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Tanks for bringing the popcorn Tiny. nom nom nom.

Somebody is a very slow learner here.
    As we have seen a few times in the past on this forum that I perform reality checks here.
    When it comes to "faster than light" the score is Trash = 0 and everybody else = -3 (or like that).
    Nobody has a positive score on the board.

Oh, except Tytower who thinks the laws physics, thermodynamics, quantum theory and relativity don't apply to him.

The sad but humorous reality is that Tytower is talking out of his arse and yet again has referenced an article which does not support, agree, confirm or even hint about anything Tytower has ever said. Faster than light. Nope. Not one mention of FTL in that article. When we revisit this topic again in 2030.
    Tytower will still be wrong and still paddling down the river denial.

Magnetic reconnection which is what the article is about and how this contributes to the creation of the jets from a black hole is what it is about.
    At no time does it even imply there is anything faster than light happening. Tytower just wants confirmation of his own hair brained theory that the jets from a black hole originate from within the event horizon. they don't. And after 12 years of Tytower still has nothing to show for the many hours he has spent "surfing the soapbox".
    I have to wonder how many other internet forums his has been posting this rubbish on. Though I suspect he'd be popular on a Nikola Tesla forum.

You just have to ignore the down putters and think for yourself.
    How's that working out for you Tytower?
    Discovered the world really is flat and that it is actually a cube because you've discovered the corners?

Smart remarks like those posted on this thread just reflect the stupidity
    Tytower's law: Smart is stupid.
    For those who have missed Tytower's previous accusations. He hates academics like people who have University Degrees and Phd's etc.
    They just sit around soaking up grant money looking at the stars and making shit up. Tytower thinks he can do this too and wonders why he isn't getting paid for it?
    Tytower has a real hatred for smart unless it agrees with him. Just like flat earthers and anti-vaxers and religious people.

So Tytower obviously thinks he might have a chance at jerking my chain by attempting to paint me with a religious brush.
    We all know I'm a religious person. OK... stop laughing. Yeah, lets face it. The only religion I'd be associated with is one I started.
    And we all know how fvcked up cult leaders are.

or grounds, to accept the truth before his eyes and prefers to blindly follow the stories handed down of old.
    Oh come on Tytwoer... those are THE words of a cult leader if ever we've heard them. The pot and the fvcking kettle dude !

Sure, I'd love to have a group of stupid people and a harem of hot chicks doing my bidding as a cult leader. And I could be mean to them and they would just keep coming back for more. But I'm a bit slack on telling people what to think. So when you tell people to "think for yourself" I also picture you saying "Yeah just take a sip of the koolaid, ya don't have to drink it if you don't like it!"

So thanks once again for not saying anything real or new about black holes again Tytower.
    Don't forget, I'll be here forever to help prevent you from polluting the minds of people reading your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    here we are talking about objects hundreds, thousands, millions, or more, of light years away.
    The nearest we've found so far is just over 1100 light years away. You can actually see that star system with the naked eye.
    Sure there are plenty out there in the rest of the universe. It's a big place. How many do you think there are in just our galaxy?

The Milky way has a volume of about 8 trillion cubic light years and if we use the yardstick of the nearest black hole being about 1000 light years then this equates to about 10 million black holes in our galaxy alone. How close do you really want to get to one?

If you believe Tytower, he has tried have the readers believe that black holes can suck you in like his wit and charm. Ok, bad example.
    But lets assume you had an Expanse style conventional sub light spacecraft that can easily reach a speed of 1% the speed of light. How close could you safely get?
    Very close. as close as the orbit of Mercury. The only down side would be all the nasty X-radiation the accretion disk emits that close in. Without any sort of heavy shielding on the spacecraft you'd want to keep a bit more distance with respect to inverse cubed law.
    The black hole isn't going to "suck" you in. It doesn't behave gravitationally different to any other 5 solar mass object.
    You spacecraft could quite happily orbit the black hole for millions of years without falling in from even a few light minutes out.

As for measuring things with high precision it's rather amusing how accurate you can make something with just some simple clever tricks.
    I work with a piece of equipment that can measure the movement of a star down to about 5cm per second and they're pushing that limit down to 1cm/s.
    The precision isn't what amazes me. It's how they deal with the noise of the star that baffles me.
    Last edited by trash; 24-08-20 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks

And again just to rub it in.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks

And again Tytower, you still have no idea what is going on here. Though nobody else has yet come up with a good description of how the jets are created.
    The jets do no originate from inside the black hole or the event horizon. Their origin is external to that point in space.
    And we can see similar jets occurring in other places, especially in association with stellar mass black holes, neutron stars and some white dwarf stars and even stellar mergers also produce jets. So there is a pretty good clue that jets are not something exclusive to a black hole. What do all these things have in common? Strong magnetic fields, not some mysterious "black mass".

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

tristen (03-09-20)

Thanks

I was always sceptical of this black matter stuff.
    Along with a few other "beliefs" that scientists and astronomers hold . After all they are just "lookers" like me and wonder what might be there . The vast distances involved in travelling at the speed of light for 14 Billion years (to the claimed start of the universe) ,tell me no one is ever going to know for sure.

Here a new theory that perhaps it wasn't there at all.
    That might mean pure mathematics, and not invisible matter, could explain why galaxies behave as they do, said study co-author Stacy McGaugh, who heads the astronomy department at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

Thanks

Nothing new Tytower. Dark Matter might not exist. Yep. That is a possibility and one of the things science is trying to prove or disprove.
    The current best fit is WIMPS, small subatomic particles which do not appear to interact with any of the three forces (EM, strong and weak nuclear forces).
    MOND is another theory (modified newtonian dynamics) which attempts to explain away dark matter. You might not have noticed but it had not been particularly successful.

Dark matter on the other hand has several types of experiments which point at a neutral volumeless subatomic particle with a mass of about 4GeV.
    This does not exclude it being a family of particles with masses of 0.5 to 10GeV.

It's not a one horse race with dark matter being the only explanation.
    There are plenty of different theories including MACHOs, MOND etc but the problem is that none of them fits the observational evidence better than dark matter.

Science is always looking for a better explanation, all you have to do is provide one and have it fit observation without special pleading.

Thanks

Default So it continues on . 670 million years old

Well they are looking at a big black mass that is 13.6 billion light years away (ago) .
    Its only 670 million years old and already 1.6 billion times more massive than the Sun and more than 1,000 times brighter than our entire Milky Way Galaxy. !

They claim it debunks 2 0f the 3 possible formation methods proposed at present.

"This tells you that no matter what you do, the seed of this black hole must have formed by a different mechanism," said Xiaohui Fan, also of the University of Arizona. "In this case, it's a mechanism that involves vast quantities of primordial, cold hydrogen gas directly collapsing into a seed black hole."
    What will they be proposing next I wonder ...thats 2 out of 3 gone at least . Its getting a bit like the religious fights isn't it ? I'm right , no I'm right , no you are both wrong , I'm right!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    What will they be proposing next I wonder ...thats 2 out of 3 gone at least . Its getting a bit like the religious fights isn't it ? I'm right , no I'm right , no you are both wrong , I'm right!!
    Errr... I'm not sure if you've realised this about science Tytower, but changing your theory is how it works.
    As new evidence comes in, you discard what no longer fits observation and modify what does to best fit what is known.

Lets look at an example that fits your description.
    In 1990 the question was, will the universe expand forever in a coasting phase or is there enough matter in it to reverse the expansion and collapse it.
    There were two choices. If I had said to my high school teacher in 1986 that the universe has a hyperbolic expansion rate, he would have looked at me like I had just face planted into a patch of shrooms.

Open Universe - no
    Closed Universe - no
    nobody would have guessed it was a hyperbolic.
    Now we have dark energy because of that question. We tossed out the old theory and now we have a new better one.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Well they are looking at a big black mass that is 13.6 billion light years away (ago) .
    Its only 670 million years old and already 1.6 billion times more massive than the Sun and more than 1,000 times brighter than our entire Milky Way Galaxy. !

They claim it debunks 2 0f the 3 possible formation methods proposed at present.

If it's 670 million years old and it's 13.6 billion light years away how do we know about it? Has someone managed to traverse the light barrier?

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

allover (15-01-21),hinekadon (15-01-21),trash (16-01-21)

Thanks

670 million years after the Big Bang....
    Tytower misquoted 13.6 Billion for 13 Billion by adding 600 million years

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

tristen (07-02-21)

Thanks

Ah the religious minions just keep trying don't they .

They have dark matter doubters and dark matter supporters so they will battle that out for a few decades I guess, pulling in funds as they go .
    However they are suggesting a new avenue of research also to secure future funds so they don't interupt their scholastic lifestyle. The "Multiverse".

One group recently coaxed vacuum bubble-like behavior out of a simple simulation. The researchers, including John Preskill, a prominent theoretical physicist at the California Institute of Technology, started with “the [most] baby version of this problem that you can think of,” as co-author Ashley Milsted put it: a line of about 1,000 digital arrows that could point up or down. The place where a string of mainly up arrows met a string of largely down arrows marked a bubble wall, and by flipping arrows, the researchers could make bubble walls move and collide. In certain circumstances, this model perfectly mimics the behavior of more complicated systems in nature. The researchers hoped to use it to simulate false vacuum decay and bubble collisions.
    Many Universes bumping into each other. Like to know what they think separates them?. Well maybe its a line of "Arrows".Crikey ,whats next?

Last edited by tytower; 07-02-21 at 08:38 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I fail to see how religion figures into this area. Yes! I do believe in God, but I also appreciate the complexity of this reality and realise that the more we learn, the less we know. Our "reality" may not be exactly what we currently think. Given the complexity of this "universe" ( i.e. the Universe as we know it), it could not have "just happened" as per "Evolution" in the strictest sense of the word. There MUST have been some causal factor at some stage in our development. Some complex biological (not forgetting ecological or other *ogical factors) could not have "evolved" over the millenia that would have been needed to derive such animals.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (08-02-21)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Many Universes bumping into each other. Like to know what they think separates them?.

Their relative speed to each other.

A second 'inverted' universe could have it's speed zero relative at 2C to us.
    As a particle approaches C on it's side it also approaches our C from the other side(it is inverted) where a cross over is not possible.
    Gravitational effects could be still possible between the universes in some obfuscated way and possibly the reason why we are being accelerated.
    Inverted also means that relative to us it is running backwards in time just like we would be 'seen' running backwards by them.
    So when we reach our end of universe as we accelerate to oblivion, their Big Bang is created and vice versa.
    That singularity is the point when both Universes meet and then the cycle begins again. In the last meeting the inverted Universe got the better deal and received more energy/matter.

This is my personal explanation for Life, the Universe and Everything and just a mathematical game of mine.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-02-21 at 10:55 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-02-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    This is my personal explanation for Life, the Universe and Everything and just a mathematical game of mine.
    You are Douglas Adams and I claim my prize!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Congrats, your prize is a micro black hole that shares a quantum entangled particle with the inverted universe... oh bugger, it just evaporated, on both sides of course.
    They really don't get on with each other
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-02-21)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I have a conspiracy theory.......

Trash and Tytower are actually the same person, hell bent on making the rest of us think and postulate the differing sides of this discussion!

Also going for the Austech award for the longest thread in history!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-02-21),trash (13-02-21),tristen (12-02-21),tytower (12-02-21),Uncle Fester (11-02-21)

Thanks

The explosions of white dwarfs is one of the most important sources in the universe of elements like iron, nickel, and chromium. The only place that scientists know these elements can be created is inside the nuclear furnace of stars or when they explode.

Well so some stars explode at a small size and some combine to form much bigger objects called black masses or black holes. Depending on their journey their fates seem to be determined often if not always by a black mass pulling at them drawing them in.

When there is an abundance of smaller matter falling in and size increases gradually it seems a black mass can form . If the forces on a sun like object are too much it may explode spraying out matter in all directions ,some toward the black mass and some with enough force to escape the black mass.

That ejected matter probably forms the new planets and suns in other systems and obviously there is a lot of matter out there that will never show until it falls into a ball capable of becoming a sun. That then lights it up so we can see it . What a marvelous phenomena of nature light is .

So my thoughts then were OK with the ones that make it to the too dark stage (black masses), the pressure keeps on increasing as more and more comes in . We have no idea what happens as these massive pressures build up . We can try to emulate high pressures and high heat to make diamonds for instance but that is a mere scratch on the surface as far as the pressures and heat experienced inside one of these.

I don't think we are ever going to know!

• Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast