Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Life and times of a black hole

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of astronomy huh?
    Yeah, there is a small piece of information you're missing there that would make you giggle like Beavis and Butthead.

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    Well so some stars explode at a small size
    Right out of the gate wrong this week Tytower. Wrong before you even finished the first sentence.

and some combine to form much bigger objects called black masses or black holes.
    Oh and wrong again. Two errors in the first sentence. This is a new level of underachievement for you.

So lets start with: Small stars don't explode. At least not main sequence stars.
    For a white dwarf to explode it requires a companion star to provide it with material.
    Only large stars explode as supernovas. Smaller main sequence stars end their lives as white dwarfs.
    Of the large stars, those with <~20 solar masses end up as neutron stars. Those that are bigger can form stellar mass black holes or blow themselves completely apart and leave nothing. White dwarfs also do this in type1A supernova and blow themselves apart leaving no remnant..

[/B]When there is an abundance of smaller matter falling in and size increases gradually it seems a black mass can form . If the forces on a sun like object are too much it may explode spraying out matter in all directions ,some toward the black mass and some with enough force to escape the black mass.
    Ah, nope. If a white dwarf accretes matter and explodes, it leaves nothing. If a neutron star accretes matter and reaches the TOV limit, then yes it can collapse into a black hole. No explosion. A star like the sun. Nope Doesn't happen, can't accrete matter and even in the rear case of stellar mergers you end up with blue straggler stars, not black holes.

That ejected matter probably forms the new planets and suns in other systems and obviously there is a lot of matter out there
    Wow, you got something right for a change Tytower.

that will never show until it falls into a ball capable of becoming a sun. That then lights it up so we can see it .
    That used to be a reasonable assumption, but not anymore. We're quite capable of detecting and measuring matter that does not consist of stars.
    Neutral hydrogen ionised hydrogen, cold ionised hydrogen, helium and well "other stuff".

So my thoughts then were OK
    Tytower propels himself forward with a good pat on the back ignoring Newton's laws of motion

I don't think we are ever going to know!
    Are you using the royal "we"? Correction: You don't think Tytower is ever going to know.
    You almost got that one right.

So to wrap it up, nothing new here again.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Oh no, Tytower has me blocked, how is he ever going to get enjoyment from this new article.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Oh no, Tytower has me blocked, how is he ever going to get enjoyment from this new article.

He has had you blocked since the first or second page of this thread.
    Didn't you notice that he doesn't respond to your posts since then?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Oh I've known that. He stuck his fingers in his ears when I wouldn't confirm his hair brained theories.
    So I'm here to ensure that he doesn't pollute the minds of Austech readers. When he says something that might not be correct, I will correct it.
    I have no need to correct him if and when he does say something true. But is rather rare and almost a special event in this thread
    And you know that he unblocks me so that he can sneak a peek at what I've said. Of course the moment he confirms that nothing has changed and I'm on his case him like stink on shit he blocks me again. It must be nice not to have to deal with reality.

Of course, how can he resist articles like this one to feed his delusions?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

OK, lets see

I see nothing wrong with this as the energy is sourced from the rearrangement of particles near the event horizon, not the black hole itself although it is responsible for their disruptions.

I don't quite get the negative energy bit though.
    Maybe Tytower could elaborate
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (16-02-21)

Thanks

Maybe Tytower could elaborate
    Oh you're a cruel man. I'm going to get some popcorn and see what he comes up with.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (16-02-21)

Thanks

I wonder if Tytower has heard about the 2019 gravitational wave observation being hypothesized as a Boson star?
    (I'm thinking we might see a six minute abs response).

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (06-03-21),porkop (18-11-21)

Thanks

I see they are finding black masses by looking for their plasma jet emmissions now. What a sensible approach. So much for the "no emmissions " theory.

My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

• 27-05-21, 09:01 PM

Reason
    Off Topic

Thanks

So much for the "no emmissions " theory.
    Ah, still trying to pervert science Tytower.

The disconnect here is that Tytower says these emissions come from within the black hole. They do not. The originate from the black hole, not from inside it.

Thanks

We have an unknown signal emanating from space from the center of the milky way.

Might be something coming at us with a bit of luck.

What got me though, is the time and money someone in Australia at NSW Uni put in to create a totally pathetic 20 second video of what it might look like . Talk about a complete waste of science research funds. Crazy

Last edited by tytower; 13-10-21 at 12:18 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

What got me though, is the time and money someone in Australia at NSW Uni put in to create a totally pathetic 20 second video of what it might look like . Talk about a complete waste of science research funds. Crazy
    How do you know somebody paid money?
    A lot of things are done at/for UNI voluntarily.
    Looks like something any kid can do at home in a few minutes in their spare time.

However the video graphically displays the unusual properties of the radio signal, which I find helpful.

Thanks

Well I'm sorry the video was too simplistic for your education level Tytower.
    Most of us understand that a white paper is a bit dull for the average person so "an artist" created the clip which illustrates a circular polarised signal.
    This short animated clip isn't the result of many thousands of hours of research, it's just an illustrated footnote.

But as usual it sounds like Tytower has still got a bee in his bonnet about people smarter than him getting paid.
    I think of it like him complaining that NASA is wasting time and money putting monkeys in space when they could send him instead.
    I'm not sure NASA could train somebody like Tytower.

The reason why we do scientific research is not to discover something, we do research because we don't know what we will find and learn.
    Sometimes we find nothing, other times we find something completely unexpected. And then there is the thousands of people kept employed with the development of the supporting technology. The same technology Tytower is bitchin' about now is a result of the same technology that developed wifi, 5G, patriot missiles, self driving cars and lets not forget "the www" (world war web).

And Fester is correct, you have no idea who is paid and who isn't when it comes to these papers. Reality is you don't care, you're just anti-academic, getting paid for being smart clearly pisses you off. And the fun part here is that Fester is kinda wrong, Tara Murphy is paid, but it's not like it's her god damn job.
    However in this case she's not the only one, there are other Astronomers who are also paid and involved in this paper. It's not the one thing they do, it's just one of many things they do and not all of them looking at the stars. The amount of effort these people put into what you think is just an animated gif would cause Tytower to have a bladder embolism.
    And then Fester is also correct. There are a lot of astronomy students who put in time to learn and gather the raw data, collate it, develop software to process it. design new systems and processes and technology. They often don't get paid, they get credit for their effort which can hep them find a position later. Some of the lucky ones do earn a few kopecks when it comes to specific work.

Anyhow, this thread is about Tytower, not about people reality.
    I'm disappointed Tytwoer, you're running out of material and now you're whinging about some radio waves. Come on, I want to hear some more of your hair brained theories about black holes. Come on there has to be something out there like primordial black holes that is jerkin your chain? Why aren't they gobbling shit up?
    I know... how about black holes in globular clusters, or dwarf galaxies? Intermediate block holes? Quasars? Young SMB's in the early universe?

Oh I know, James Webb telescope is going to get shit revved up next year. How about some predictions for us to laugh at?

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (14-10-21)

Thanks

This short animated clip isn't the result of many thousands of hours of research, it's just an illustrated footnote

But as usual it sounds like Tytower has still got a bee in his bonnet about people smarter than him getting paid.
    I think of it like him complaining that NASA is wasting time and money putting monkeys in space when they could send him instead.
    I'm not sure NASA could train somebody like Tytower.

The reason why we do scientific research is not to discover something, we do research because we don't know what we will find and learn.
    Sometimes we find nothing, other times we find something completely unexpected. And then there is the thousands of people kept employed with the development of the supporting technology. The same technology Tytower is bitchin' about now is a result of the same technology that developed wifi, 5G, patriot missiles, self driving cars and lets not forget "the www" (world war web).
    I put this part up for Tytower in case he still has you on ignore.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-10-21 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks

If you haven't noticed Fester, he's ignoring you too If he didn't have you blocked, he does now.
    I think he has everybody blocked so he doesn't hear anything that doesn't agree with him.

The real question is where does he spend his other time on the interwebs?
    He was on whingepool but he got booted from there, but that's not hard for anybody to do.

I suspect he's on several other forums, it would be funny to see the responses to his posts.

Thanks

Well they are getting to it now .
    I found this treatise very interesting in that the unimaginable speeds involved in the plasma jets and the absolutely excluding us distances involved, telling us we will never really know !

I perceive these black masses as a rubber ball . The outside being compressed in by just incredible force of the black mass itself and the only release for any matter is at the poles and at or above, more likely, the speed of light .

There is no doubt in my mind friend that there is much material speeding around space at better than the speed of light . Its no more a barrier than the speed of sound was.

They are seeing but one of two plasma jets and only when it has slowed to below light speed.
    That matter coming out is the seed for new galaxies and planets . Its a cyclic thing.

This black hole (M87*) shoots a jet of plasma at near the speed of light, a so-called relativistic jet, on a scale of 6,000 light years. The tremendous energy needed to power this jet probably originates from the gravitational pull of the black hole, but how a jet like this comes about and what keeps it stable across the enormous distance is not yet fully understood.
    Last edited by tytower; 05-11-21 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks

There is no doubt in my mind friend that there is much material speeding around space at better than the speed of light .
    Anybody? Anybody?

What have we learned on this forum about anything faster than light?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Anybody? Anybody?

What have we learned on this forum about anything faster than light?
    FTL speed is theoretically possible. Just because we have yet to determine how/what/why, does not mean it can/will/does not happen. If I am travelling at C (light speed) and you are travelling at C directly towards me we are approaching one another (loosely) at 2C, i.e. twice the speed of light. This is where relativity comes in. How fast are we really going? In relation to what?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Lsemmens, you and I will always be travelling towards the speed C seen from a slow moving observer. We will not appear to be moving at 2C towards each other.
    However Time dilation dictates what we personally can observe from on board our vessel as we approach C and it will all eventually appear to us on board a lot faster than 2C, while the universe then ages faster.

FTL is mathematically possible but the transition of matter through C from both sides is impossible.
    We will only get closer and closer to C as our relativistic mass just gets higher and higher and harder to accelerate.
    Even with all the energy of the universe we will run out of 'steam' and Universe before we actually reach C.

Now to annoy Trash :
    Wormhole travel may be possible so that it appears to an observer that our ship travelled FTL but we are still travelling sub C through that shortcut through space.
    Numerous SciFi shows like Star Trek Discovery and good old Andromeda Ascendent have quite inspiring concepts for such shortcuts and who knows maybe one day we could tap into the mysteries of Dark matter and energy that might lead to short cuts through space.

A standard Warp drive will always remain ScFi.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-11-21 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks

Hehe, wormholes like FTL is theory. There are some small problems with wormholes. The maths of holes is topology. Space has no holes.
    You can scale this theory down. Take a piece of A4 paper and keep it flat without bending it. Now put a hole in one end that is zero distance to a hole in the other.
    And of course a wormhole doesn't even have to have a zero length. It can have a length that is just shorter or even longer. But ideally the length should be zero.

there's no bending space for a wormhole, bending space is the stuff of warped space and hyperspace.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    FTL speed is theoretically possible
    Unicorns are more theoretically possible.
    Unfortunately the argument from infinity doesn't hold water here. This is the playground of Quantum Physics and you have to think a lot harder about how to test the universe.

• Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast