Thread: Adam Gilchrist retires

Thanks

Default Adam Gilchrist retires

Somehow I thought he'd manage to go on forever! He is one of the greats and I'll miss him.

AAP

January 26, 2008 07:15pm

AUSTRALIAN wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist tonight announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in order to spend more time with his family.

Gilchrist, 36, said he would retire at the conclusion of the fourth and final Test against India at Adelaide Oval.

The dynamic left-hander batsman has come under fire lately with critics suggesting his glovework had detoriated in recent months, while his batting hadn't reached its usual lofty standards.

Former Australian wicketkeeper Ian Healy yesterday warned Adam Gilchrist he must retain his high standards or his glittering career could soon be over.

Gilchrist yesterday became the world record holder for most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper when he effected his 414th career dismissal to move past South Africa's Mark Boucher.

The West Australian made his Test debut in 1999 and has played 96 Tests in succession, also a record.

Apart from his keeping success, Gilchrist revolutionised the game as an attacking batsman from No.7 and scored 5556 runs at 47.89, with a highest score of 204 not out.

He scored 17 Test centuries.

Today's announcement will also see an end to his career with Western Australia and Perth Cricket Club.

It is not yet certain whether he will take part in the lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament in India later this year.

"It is with great pride and happiness that I make the decision to retire from Test and one-day cricket," Gilchrist said.

"I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me.

"My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling."

Gilchrist said he was keen to spend more time with his wife Mel and their three children.

He thanked Cricket Australia, the Western Australian Cricket Association and Cricket NSW and all his team-mates and support staff.

Gilchrist yesterday became the world record holder for most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper when he effected his 414th career dismissal to move past South Africa's Mark Boucher.

The West Australian made his Test debut in 1999 and has played 96 Tests in succession, also a record.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

he will be hard to replace, and missed reatly in all forms of the game.

Thanks

Listening to him yesterday on ABC radio he acknowledged how he had put down a few recently, but he sounded like he was looking forward to the future.
    What a difference 24hrs makes!
    Gilchrist has been an amazing & consistent player for a number of years hence the numbers of dismissals etc. although he will be remembered for his powerful batting & THAT will be sorely missed.
    Hadden will succeed him. His batting isn't as good but his glovework is better.
    Gives the Aussie team a whole different dimension without Gilly.
    Happy to be here......still

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I would have liked to have seen him hang around for another 1-2 years but when you have made your mind up its time to go.

No doubt he will be replaced , its just hard to see. I remember as a kid thinking cricket was over when Rod Marsh retired as Australian keeper

I have enjoyed watching some of his batting displays. I wonder if he will go to India for the big dollars ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

At least he knew when to retire. Not hang around until pushed.

He will be hard to replace.

Thanks for the memories, Gilly.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

I am really gunna miss gilly
    He is without doubt my favorite player

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I am really gunna miss gilly
    He is without doubt my favorite player
    Yep, agreed, I guess now the pressure's off the one dayers would be Gilly haven.