Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Win 7 64 bit with Win 10 Pro 64 Bit.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 684 Posts

Default Replacing Win 7 64 bit with Win 10 Pro 64 Bit.

Well i'm finally going to replace my Win 7 64 bit computer that has on and off windows start-up issues when going into the windows flags section upon start-up (it freezes).

Now can someone please tell me where is the best place to get Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit and also where to get the key? Yes i am going to pay for it. Please note an average price.

Now because Im having issues with this computer with Windows 7 64 bit for a while, it could be a hardware fault so the last thing I want to do is stick Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit on it then add the key then it fails after a few minutes or days because of a hardware fault. What im going to do is im giving Windows 10 64 Pro Bit a new SSD Hard drive. I will not touch the existing hard drive where Windows 7 is now.

Can I put Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit on without putting a key on there just to test it for a few days with a few basic folders? Because I remember the old days where I bought Microsoft Office legally and the next day the new motherboard failed and i had to reinstall everything again and it would not accept my original key that came with Microsoft Office that cost me a fortune. If the computer behaves after a few days then I will use the key.

Can you please answer my 3 questions?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,605 Times in 1,953 Posts

use the windows media creation tool to make a bootable usb or an iso to burn to disc. or use rufus.

you can install and use w10 without a product key, it will just annoy you with nag screens after a couple of days.

if all is good you can click on nag screen to buy a key direct from microsoft
    Last edited by hoe; 26-11-23 at 11:21 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,124 Times in 3,380 Posts

As hoe said. It will work, IIRC, last time I did that the nag screen came up after a week, but you can still use beyond that. It's just a pain, and, of course, once that nag screen hits, no more updates.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Have you considered installing Linux on the machine, a) the OS is free, b) It supports older hardware way better than Windows does, c) it boots way faster than windows, d) updates only happen when YOU choose and rarely require a reboot with the "hurry up and wait" screen. Finally e) the Linux Mint (if that distro works for you) forums are full of helpful people who will help you solve most of your problems should you have any (unlikely). I stayed with windows for years because I had invested so much time and effort into some programs that I could not easily change over. In fact, only last week I finally divested myself of windows completely. Apple products do not play well with Linux. I got rid of an iPad that I used for my music, so now I am windows free.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    use the windows media creation tool to make a bootable usb or an iso to burn to disc. or use rufus.
    Forgot to say yesterday. I also got a new USB for this job as you know the SSD is NEW so I will start fresh with a clean install. Can you please give me more info about this windows media creation tool to use on a new USB Stick. No doubt you have to get into Bias on the motherboard and set it up to start first on USB or I'm looking it wrong.
    Also I have Another Win 10 Desktop computer do I download Win 10 Pro 64 bit in a separate folder on this computer then transfer it to the USB or can I download Win 10 Pro 64 bit directly to the USB.
    Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

Download the media creation tool from Microsoft.

You can use it to either create a bootable usb or create a boot able iso which can be burnt to a DVD. The tool will download your selected windows version directly from Microsoft.

If you want to boot from DVD you can download iso directly.

Yes, you will need to set your bios to boot from usb.

Sent from my CPH2437 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 27-11-23 at 11:20 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

red star (27-11-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Have you considered installing Linux on the machine
    Having multiple STROKES I will stick on something that I know "eg" DONT TRY ANYTHING THAT NOT USED BEFORE.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

enf (27-11-23)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I understand your concerns 5G, you might be surprised on how easy the transition is. I've known of some users who have upgraded elderly relatives computers and said rellie has not noticed the difference except that it works "better" than before. You can try it without installing it just burn a copy to a USB stick and boot form that. Once you have played with it for a while, you can then elect to install it in place of windows, along side of windows or just re-boot, removing said USB stick and you'll find nothing on you computer has been changed.

There's a reason that Al calls me the Linux Looney!

Thanks

I understand your concerns 5G, you might be surprised on how easy the transition is. I've known of some users who have upgraded elderly relatives computers and said rellie has not noticed the difference except that it works "better" than before. You can try it without installing it just burn a copy to a USB stick and boot form that. Once you have played with it for a while, you can then elect to install it in place of windows, along side of windows or just re-boot, removing said USB stick and you'll find nothing on you computer has been changed.

Had 1 Heart attack 3 strokes and 7 TIA's the LAST TIA was 4 months ago and two weeks later I Got Covid and as it stands I'm mentally drained. For Windows I have 1 i7 Windows 10 pro with GPU RTX 3090ti, The sick puter has Windows 7 64bit and has i7 RTX 3080ti,, the third Puter I have i7 64 with RTX 3060ti and use all together. No I don't mine but I give me joy on what I do. Yes I don't know how much drain I can do on my body and for me another type of operation system (linux) is a day when I got noting to do if i'm still alive. Truck me I'm up the very top of have strokes in the hospital and survived, The TIA's 7 off them, dont know how much luck can i have and still walking. Bye the way I did have another name on this forum but after my 3 stroke i was wiped out and had to start learning again with thanks to Uncle Fester.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 27-11-23 at 08:07 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

All well and good. I am of the the thinking, best tool for the job. I gave up on windows because I spent more time either fixing it or waiting for it. The moment you add more computers into the mix, unless you convert them all, then the changeover is not worth the effort. I've tried networking windows with Linux, it works but there are lots more hoops to jump through. Any way back to your health.

I trust that your medical issues are all behind you now. I've not experienced anything as severe as you. I do understand the re-learning bit, though. After a severe MVA (that killed me) I was left with 21% permanent brain damage (their estimate, not mine) short term memory was shot. If the house was on fire, I'd sit there and let it burn down around me because I could not decide what to do first. Throw something different into the mix and I'd just curl up into my shell. Miracles, however, do happen. Here it is 22 years later and most people would not even know I was ever like that. Even my brain seems to have been re-wired as the issues I experienced are no longer there. Hang in there mate and all the best for the future.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,583 Posts

Nah, you're no linux looney ... I am! Do you get disgruntled enough with mainstream linux distros, that you build your own linux systems from source code? I do....

@5GRUBBISH --- stick with windows ...once you become very used to a particular OS, it's akin to 'muscle memory' and very hard to unlearn ; a good simple example is remote controlled aircraft ;

• Mode 1: rudder and elevator are controlled by the left stick, throttle and ailerons by the right.
    • Mode 2: ailerons and elevator are controlled by the right stick, rudder and throttle by the left.
    • Mode 3: ailerons and elevator are controlled by the left stick, rudder and throttle by the right.
    • Mode 4: throttle and ailerons are controlled by the left stick, rudder and elevator by the right.

....I use Mode 3 ...if I use the more common Mode 1/2 setup, it's a horrorshow, because I see the aircraft doing something, and my fingers react instinctively and do the 'wrong' thing =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Nah, you're no linux looney ... I am! Do you get disgruntled enough with mainstream linux distros, that you build your own linux systems from source code? I do....

@5GRUBBISH --- stick with windows ...once you become very used to a particular OS, it's akin to 'muscle memory' and very hard to unlearn ; a good simple example is remote controlled aircraft ;

• Mode 1: rudder and elevator are controlled by the left stick, throttle and ailerons by the right.
    • Mode 2: ailerons and elevator are controlled by the right stick, rudder and throttle by the left.
    • Mode 3: ailerons and elevator are controlled by the left stick, rudder and throttle by the right.
    • Mode 4: throttle and ailerons are controlled by the left stick, rudder and elevator by the right.

....I use Mode 3 ...if I use the more common Mode 1/2 setup, it's a horrorshow, because I see the aircraft doing something, and my fingers react instinctively and do the 'wrong' thing =)
    No way, only mode 2 for me or I will crash.

@5GRUBBISH - I agree with the majority in your case, although Windows is my least preferred OS, especially Windows 8 & 10 and I never use it online.
    I also understand that you want to stick to Win10.
    Windows 11 appears on the surface to look more Unix like (MacOS) so it's user interface might be a bit of a learn curve for you, although it is much more cleaned up and IMO more user friendly.
    All the crap that shows up when you click on the Start button in W10 drives me nuts and I have to spend time deleting it all and run 3 party mods that make it look more like Windows 7 or Linux.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    No way, only mode 2 for me or I will crash..
    Yep, same scenario, different bent ...ppl used to Mode 1 go bananas when faced with a Mode 2 transmitter ....I used to ride bikes, so I think my entire brain is wired to throttle on the right <grin>...

Another thing to consider here, given this forum's focus, is if you use any proprietary softwares to futz with radio gear, you are much better off in windows ~ sure, you can do it in a VM, but life is short and who wants to learn how to use yet another piece of software, when you're already proficient with what you've got? It's like...do I really want to learn to ride a motorbike, with the throttle on the left handlebar?... goodgrief no, I'd be on the ground busted up in no time =^)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-12-23)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,537 Posts

The flight sticks for the sims on a PC like my Saitek are the same as mode 2. Left throttle(big lever like in the real thing), right elevator ailerons, except for rudder where you twist the right stick.
    I rarely manually use the rudder(programmed auto coordinated with aileron on PC and RC), mostly just manually for trim or on the ground and if I am trying to do 3D (acrobatic) stuff with foamies, which I am terrible at.
    I haven't flown for years, no space here but I connect my RC transmitter to the PC and sim fly RC models, although I rarely find time for that either.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-11-23 at 04:01 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,136 Times in 6,789 Posts

Guys, stick to the topic please.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

red star (29-11-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    ' and very hard to unlearn ; a good simple example is remote controlled aircraft ;

Yes for me Mode 2 is stuck in my head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Guys, stick to the topic please.
    My update to win 10 has been delayed for a week or two, I will get it done before Xmas

Premium Member
    Thanks

just did a fresh reinstall of w11 on dell laptop via ota update from windows menu, easy as.
    even installed th automatic dell bloatware.
    windows backup even reinstalled all my files automatically.
    reinstall firefox, sync and all done.

all due to a beta update breaking firefox ssl so i had to use another browser to acees qnap nas

Thanks

This is where I get my Windows and Office keys from and never had a problem.
    Tip: Buy them when you are ready to use them. You will have to create an account, wait for a few minutes for your key and under your account you will find your key there. Make sure you change the currency to AUD near where you sign in.

USE 30% COUPON CODE: CAREY
    Last edited by joezep; 07-12-23 at 05:23 PM. Reason: change currency

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-12-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joezep View Post
    This is where I get my Windows and Office keys from and never had a problem.
    Tip: Buy them when you are ready to use them. You will have to create an account, wait for a few minutes for your key and under your account you will find your key there. Make sure you change the currency to AUD near where you sign in.

USE 30% COUPON CODE: CAREY
    Could be wrong but I get the key message from cdkdeals that advertising from that guy (on Mobile Wi Fi phone) that talks about new GPU's, Nvidia or AMD, Yes Young guy. Name CDK if familiar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    My update to win 10 has been delayed for a week or two, I will get it done before Xmas
    It will be a go next week. Need a rest ATM.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast