Thread: Mastmount AM radio antenna?

Thanks

Default Mastmount AM radio antenna?

Is there such a thing as a commercially available outdoor AM radio antenna?! If there is I can't find it, my google searches are all met with indoor plastic loops and DIY solutions involving hundreds of metres of bare wire, can't seem to find anything in between.

I live in a rural area and I'm putting up a new mast for the TV, so it seems like a good opportunity to add one.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,136 Times in 6,789 Posts

I presume you are looking for a receive-only antenna for AM broadcast (medium wave) radio.

A lot will depend on what receiver/tuner you are using and the external antenna connection it has.

Typically AM receivers work best with long wire antennas.

Loop antennas are another option.

Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-01-24)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,583 Posts

Long wire 'kit' ...

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-01-24)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 494 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I presume you are looking for a receive-only antenna for AM broadcast (medium wave) radio.

A lot will depend on what receiver/tuner you are using and the external antenna connection it has.

Typically AM receivers work best with long wire antennas.

Loop antennas are another option.

I heartily concur with MTV. have worked a treat for me assisting family members who live in regional areas.
    Admittedly this was near Queanbeyan in NSW and successfully received Sydney AM radio. I cannot speak to their efficacy in other regions.
    Going long wire requires a lot of effort. You could go all out and build !

Thanks

Thanks guys, and sorry for the late reply.

I've since decided to replace the existing (horizontal ring type) FM antenna too, which sat below the UHF TV antenna, and ordered a nice tall ground-independent marine AM/FM antenna to go above the mast. I realise it won't exactly be optimised for AM but it has to be better than the internal ferrite jobbie.

The antenna will have a single 75ohm coax cable - any tips on how best to connect it to the receiver? I'm guessing a Y-splitter at the receiver end of the coax then a balun with a short 300ohm ribbon into the AM side? Or would it be better to split the signal closer to the antenna and run more 300ohm ribbon?

Is there a better (eg active) option that will ensure the best AM and FM reception?

Last edited by Fermenter; 17-01-24 at 07:48 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,537 Posts

Nothing beats a TUNED LOOP to massively upgrade AM radio reception.
    There are numerous threads about this here if you try the search button.

But here is one from me that is designed to simply place a portable radio inside it that costed me nothing to build.
    The idea to use ribbon cable(from an old hard drive connection) that is soldered at it ends offset by one, creates a coil together with the tuning cap with a very high Q-factor:

I have a modest collection of old portable AM radios(with SW) and the Panasonic and Grundig ones outperform any modern stationary consumer receivers that have an AM section, that is largely neglected these days. Worth hunting down one of these old goodies on Ebay for a few bucks.

Of course you can tap the tuned loop for a direct connection or add an additional coil with a few windings.
    The loop needs to be outside of course.

I like sitting outside in the evening with a beer, hunting AM stations with a portable radio from time to time.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-01-24 at 09:58 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-01-24)