Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodi on Smart TV - Tips

Thanks

[QUOTE

I get it that Kodi is a little complicated when you first try setting it up, but once you understand it, it's not that complicated at all.\_(ツ)_/
    If you are happy with what you are using, keep doing so.[/QUOTE]

Different needs sometimes requires different solutions, For me my wife and I have different needs and then there are the grandkids,

So on the 2 Nvidia Shields, and 3 X96 android boxes I have Kodi Tv with all my tv shows, there is also Kodi Wife (Fork) and there is Kodi Kids(Fork) and also Kodi Movies(Fork)

Kodi has Tv shows Docos, Reality,Crime and all the old movies that I watch

Kodi Wife has all here soap operas and and completely different tv content, 7,9,and ten, Stan, Netflix Kodi apps etc all setup to her preferences

Kodi Kids (3 grandkids) has all their Tv shows and movies that even the youngest 3 year old can operate.

Kodi Movies Has all the movies Kids and Adults.

Different Kodi programs run different Menus to suit the user and or usage

All media is stored on an old dedicated computer via portable usb drives of which I have spare backup drives

For me it just works just turn the tv on and everything is controlled by one remote.
    Last edited by RedXT; 16-05-24 at 09:36 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

Tiny (16-05-24)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,444 Times in 2,656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    i always had issues with kodi in one way or anther , in the end i just got a standalone media player
    and use that for all my movies - music etc .I got the zidoo x9s and havent looked back.

soory i know you were after kodi help.
    Not after help now, problem solved. Fingers crossed.
    Just here to give tips & anyone is welcome to comment.
    I too, thought of getting a standalone media player, however in my search for the best & simplest one, I found they usually ran Plex or Kodi, then I discovered that Kodi runs on Android TV so why not try it. Once I learnt the TV remote actions for hidden context menus & how to set up SMB properly, the whole thing went easy.
    Apart from the black screen crash problem I had last month, it's all good & I think I can resolve that issue quickly now if it ever happens again. I suspect it was caused by a failed auto update of apps by Google Play store on the TV, possibly the connection was interrupted. Anyway, random event so far, hope it doesn't rinse & repeat.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (16-05-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,221 Times in 9,133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    i always had issues with kodi in one way or anther , in the end i just got a standalone media player
    and use that for all my movies - music etc .I got the zidoo x9s and havent looked back.

soory i know you were after kodi help.
    +1 ........... great player...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    +1 ........... great player...
    Will it run netflix, Foxtel Stan and Prime video apps

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 Times in 1,951 Posts

There are two main issues with modern high end TV's, media players are generally fine for most stuff, but have issues with things like dolbyvision and hdr+ etc and accessing media files over local networks.

Android TV's are easy, just download something like vimu player.

LG TV, not so easy. They won't allow 3rd Party media players on their app store. Only easy solution is a media box, something like an nvidea shield with plenty of processing power to handle dolbyvision etc.

Serving files over a network is a bit more problematic, dlna via something like a qnap nas works perfectly.

With a Windows server you will need a third party media sever like serviio free version, as Windows media is junk.

I have been using LG oled TV's for years, and it still pisses me off that I need a media box with a $4k + TV.

Im thinking about upgrading my c2, but I'm not sure what to get next.

I have a tcl qd-mini led Android TV at my holiday/retirement house. It was around $1500 for a 65 inch model.

It is astonishingly good for the money, supports atmos/dolbyvision/hdr/hdr10+ with the native player, but vimu is more bug free and user friendly. It was free as I've already paid for it on the shield. Lg doesn't support hdr10+ at all.

The picture is almost as good as the LG, probably better in bright light.

Being Android, all I had to do was install vimu and my iptv players from playstore and go.

I really can't see the value in an lg c4 at the moment.

Sent from my CPH2437 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 17-05-24 at 04:49 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    Will it run netflix, Foxtel Stan and Prime video apps
    Looking at the specs it is based on Android 6, since it's an old player. 2016
    If they have updated software to later Android version/s then it should be Ok. If not, then some apps will need to be legacy to run on it.

Interesting review here>
    Conclusion

Pros

Very well built
    Regular software updates
    Great feature set
    Mostly excellent playback of just about anything

Cons

No 50Hz Ultra HD Mode
    Mediocre remote
    Reliant on Zidoo keeping up with KODI
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedXT View Post
    If you download the Kodi apk ( same version u are useing on the TV) to a usb drive us should be able to plug that in to the TV and install it. The installation will realize you allready have kodi installed

and reinstall it without changing anything. ( hopefully fixing any problems) This is called SIDELOADING

Just for interest there are Kodi Forks which are unofficial version which u can run at the same time as the genuine Kodi it worth downloading one and install it and play with the settings

to learn what does what before making changes to youre official kodi, addons can be tested also

Just had some time to experiment. My TV will not recognise APK's on a USB drive. So I looked up other solutions & came out with an app to install that allows side loading . It downloaded & installed from the Play Store, but would not open. The TV put up a message that said something like 'this app is not approved & is not applicable to this system' & failed to open it.

Another search for the latest info on this brought up a program I can install on the laptop to force install of apk's, but I think I'm going to hit a wall there as well. Installing it wont make the TV accept it without verified approval.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I have a TCL Tv running google android and I just open Google Play and installed XPlore or Es File manager it should see youre usb drive and just install kodi or any app u want

Some apps may be blocked from Google Tv but kodi is not one of them

• The Following User Says Thank You to RedXT For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-05-24)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thanks, Xplore did the trick. Can see the Kodi fork & the genuine Kodi.apk.

Edit: my error, didn't have the mirror APK on the drive.
    Last edited by Tiny; 20-05-24 at 01:22 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

So I managed to accidentally trigger Kodi into black screen freeze again today.
    I had just added a new source & decided to restart Kodi, as the new source wasn't showing in video sources, so clicked on the Kodi power button next to settings then exit, so I could restart Kodi. When I restarted Kodi I got the dreaded black screen, no function.

Tried unplugging TV waiting a few minutes, powered back up & opened Kodi, black screen again.

I tried a few different combinations of settings in the TV settings App section.

Here is what worked.

TV settings> Apps> Kodi> Force Stop> OK> Clear Cache> Open.
    That got it back to a normal restart of Kodi & nothing lost, new source now available & visible in Videos.

So I deduce that when Kodi doesn't shut down properly, the black screen state is captured in the cache & that is where it will open until you clear the cache.

Hope that helps others if they encounter this. Much easier than reinstalling.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12