Thread: Is my car dead

Thanks

Default Is my car dead

On Friday I stopped at a set of lights started to run a bit rough then stalled couldn't start so got the RACV out he said it was flooded
    This made sense as it sounded like it was lacking compression, from the old days when an engine gets flooded the petrol dilutes the oil around the rings so lets air escape past rings

The car is a Soarer SC400 (lexus) V8 Quad cam

Got it towed home left it over night but alas no go

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Godzilla must be sleeping after all the Indy this weekend or
    he is at the pub spending all his winnings LOL

Sorry to hear about you car mate
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Godzilla must be sleeping after all the Indy this weekend or
    he is at the pub spending all his winnings LOL

Sorry to hear about you car mate
    Just got through his tut on head gasket replacement as I have done a few in my time it was really well written Oh were art though god zilla

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

He is probably drunk naked sleeping in a park somewhere down south LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Aww. Soarers are a bitch to work on. Nice car though and lovely to drive.
    Just too many bells and whistles.
    Might be best to get a dealer to run a diagnostic mal.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Hi guys, nah not drunk but preparing for the GP bikes tonight.LOL

The racv bloke said its flooded. Was it all the cylinders Mal?

So it comes down to 2 things.

1/ A fuel problem.....fuel pressure too high maybe the regulator is stuck, ecu setting the mix rich due to the oxygen sensor not reading or the airflow meter playing up or ecu cooked.

2/ A spark problem....depending on the type of ignition system it could be the spark control module, crank sensor etc.

I would suggest taking out the plugs, have a look at them, see how wet they are, crank the engine over to blow all the unburnt fuel out of the cylinders to dry her out a little.
    Wipe your plugs. I tend to put them over a gas stove, heat them hot and slip them into the engine while they are still hot.
    While the plugs are out put one into the ignition lead and earth it against the block. While someone cranks over the engine check the spark, it should be sharp, fat and strong.
    This warm weather is going to play havoc with spark control modules.
    They sometimes come back to life after cooling down a little.

Its going to be a difficult one to solve Mal, but take your time check your spark, if its ok try to start her.

For all we know your temp sensor could be telling your ecu shes cold and running her rich.

One other thing, hit a soarer forum and find the procedure to pulling the ecu codes off the ecu, there could be a hint in the codes.
    Dont disconnect your battery as you will lose them.

Thanks

Ill add all links of interest here for you Mal.

( ha ha coil packs are known to fail).

Google soarer problem starting mate.(without the google and mate bit)

One other thing mal, did he pull a plug to see if its rich? If he didnt and just guessed it maybe, just maybe if your plugs look perfectly dry the fuel pump may have died.

My personal guess is the ignition system.

Edit just noticed they have 2 dizzys and 2 coils.....if one bank of 8 cylinders is dead (4 plugs wet and not sparking and the other 4 ok) it would hint towards the coil pack or dizzy for that bank.

Thanks

Head gasket?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Friend of mine had a Soarer as well that use to have erratic idle problems causing it to run rich and flood, especially when warm.

Turned out to be the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) located on the back of the inlet manifold. Take it off and spray carby cleaner inside it to clean some of the carbon and oil in it. It can get very dirty and jams when the engine is hot, therefore letting more air in the engine.

Also what Godzilla said makes sense, another thing to look for is whether or not the previous owner installed an aftermarket high-flow fuel pump, they are known to cause issues too.

Thanks

If its flooding could be injectors getting stuck open for some reason. My jza70 supra had dodgy caps in the ecu causing one injector channel to intermittently get stuck on causing the engine to misfire on 2 cyl and pour out black smoke.

Thanks

my money is on the crank sensor.

To check what the possible problem might be run a diagnostic, depending on yhe year of your soarer i assume it is OBD2 you have to short pin 0 (from memory) and then the cluster (engine light) should flash a sequence which corresponds to a problem.im pretty sure soarers have this facility.

btw soarers are a fkn bitch to work on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Aww. Soarers are a bitch to work on. Nice car though and lovely to drive.
    Just too many bells and whistles.
    Might be best to get a dealer to run a diagnostic mal.
    Even though they are a bitch to work on (have done the mod on the cruise control) best car I have had but you must be prepared to do some work as they are getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Hi guys, nah not drunk but preparing for the GP bikes tonight.LOL

The racv bloke said its flooded. Was it all the cylinders Mal?

So it comes down to 2 things.

1/ A fuel problem.....fuel pressure too high maybe the regulator is stuck, ecu setting the mix rich due to the oxygen sensor not reading or the airflow meter playing up or ecu cooked.

2/ A spark problem....depending on the type of ignition system it could be the spark control module, crank sensor etc.

I would suggest taking out the plugs, have a look at them, see how wet they are, crank the engine over to blow all the unburnt fuel out of the cylinders to dry her out a little.
    Wipe your plugs. I tend to put them over a gas stove, heat them hot and slip them into the engine while they are still hot.
    While the plugs are out put one into the ignition lead and earth it against the block. While someone cranks over the engine check the spark, it should be sharp, fat and strong.
    This warm weather is going to play havoc with spark control modules.
    They sometimes come back to life after cooling down a little.

Its going to be a difficult one to solve Mal, but take your time check your spark, if its ok try to start her.

For all we know your temp sensor could be telling your ecu shes cold and running her rich.

One other thing, hit a soarer forum and find the procedure to pulling the ecu codes off the ecu, there could be a hint in the codes.
    Dont disconnect your battery as you will lose them.
    God zilla comes through again thanks very much for the info it amazes me how much you are prepared to go out of your way to help others.
    Have learnt so much from the links you posted it was all getting too much for me though even pulling spark plugs out is a major task.
    Turns out the timing belt went west nearly had a fit could imagine bent valves,holes in pistons ETC but found out it is a non interference motor so no damage
    When I buy another car it will have to be a non interference motor it only cost me the price of a 100,000 km service

Timing belt
    Water pump
    Fan belt
    Brakes front and rear
    Filter oil coolant

ALL FOR $1190.00 could have been a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Friend of mine had a Soarer as well that use to have erratic idle problems causing it to run rich and flood, especially when warm.

Turned out to be the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) located on the back of the inlet manifold. Take it off and spray carby cleaner inside it to clean some of the carbon and oil in it. It can get very dirty and jams when the engine is hot, therefore letting more air in the engine.

Also what Godzilla said makes sense, another thing to look for is whether or not the previous owner installed an aftermarket high-flow fuel pump, they are known to cause issues too.
    George have been having this prob so will check that to thanks

Thanks

Whooooow, the racv guy didn't pick this Mal?

I didnt know anything about soarer engines but after looking at some of the links my jaw was on the ground at how advanced the engines are.

A small displacement twin cam, twin ignition system engine, the design of it had me blow away when i first looked at the technical layout.

These engines have some serious potential in them.

I belive that these engines may have been developed with a Le'mans, Indy, open wheeler type of direction.

Good to see your back on the road Mal.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Good to hear you got it fixed reasonably cheap mal.
    They are awesome God, they are very smooth, quiet and powerful.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

the 2.5 twin turbo soarer engines were designed by yamaha's race department.....

Thanks

I believe Yamaha was responsible for most of Toyotas performance heads (twin cam and vvct heads), but don't think they had anything to do with the blocks. Correct me if i am wrong there.

Lotus had a close association with chassis and suspension development.

I remember Yamahas involvement from the late 70's from memory, the old twin cam celicas, but i thought it was limited to head development.