Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I heard a romour

Thanks

Default I heard a romour

Now I don't want to be flamed here.. I am just going off what 2 different ppl have told me.
    The story I heard is that Vista is failing and they are going to pull the plug next year! Now I know this was going to happen with XP but It kind of makes some sense as its a bit screwed up so has anyone else heard this? or can they prove this to be false?

Microsoft OS Life cycle
    Excludes Vista

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm glad Vista is a pain in the ass
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Were you at the CB Hotel the other night?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I checked and this isnt a spam bot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Were you at the CB Hotel the other night?
    LOL!

Thanks

Vista looks pretty but it's still only an operating system.
    I have both and only playing with vista but i use XP for everyday use

Thanks

Im just asking I thought if it were true then you would hear about it in here..

Thanks

maybe now bill has a bit less to worry about he's decied to writ a few chain letters
    I dont know I heard from 2 completely different sources thats they only reason I asked

Thanks

I thought the forthcoming Windows7 will be the Vista replacement. MS claims it will be an improved VISTA and have no bugs .

Thanks

But they said there's nothing wrong with vista and a service pack isn't required..
    What a joke the whole things been.

Thanks

It's true, there is nothing wrong with Vista. We just have incompatibility problems caused by hardware manufacturers around the world.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I find it hard to see what problems people are having with Vista. With service pack 1 installed and all windows updates it works as good as XP with not better.

I have removed XP from all my computers. For the same amount of release time , Vista is far in front of XP.

Thanks

Yes I must admit I def. prefer Vista now.. the sidebar alone is worth it, especially for us Bigpond users..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I find it hard to see what problems people are having with Vista.
    I agree vista works just fine
    It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

Thanks

no issues here, i actually prefer it to xp

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Microsoft is moving past Vista & are shortly going to release Microsoft Azure....

October 27, 2008
    Ozzie reveals Azure, Microsoft's development cloud
    By ELIZABETH MONTALBANO, IDG
    Microsoft Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie Monday revealed Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud-computing platform that allows developers to build and host their services on Microsoft infrastructure.

Windows Azure, a "services-based operating environment," competes with Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) as a scalable hosting environment on which developers can build and host their applications, Ozzie said in his keynote at the Professional Developers Conference (PDC), which kicked off Monday in Los Angeles.

Microsoft is releasing a Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Windows Azure in the U.S. at PDC, and eventually will host the service in global data centers.

The announcement of Windows Azure was expected, as Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said in a public appearance earlier this month that Microsoft was readying a Windows cloud offering it would reveal in only a few weeks.

Ozzie said a team of Microsoft developers led by Amitabh Srivastava, vice president of Windows Azure team, had begun working on Azure just before Amazon unveiled EC2. He said he tipped his hat to Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos and the Amazon team for bringing its offering to market before Microsoft.

"All of us are going to be standing on their shoulders" as the technology industry transitions from offering and using traditional software run in enterprise IT networks to running more applications on the Internet via cloud-computing environments hosted by large vendors, Ozzie said.

However, he noted that Microsoft had "somewhat broader and different objectives" than Amazon in developing Azure, since unlike Amazon, it has the responsibility to support a vast global network of software developers and applications already built on its infrastructure software.

Ozzie dipped into the past to show how cloud computing has evolved beyond the virtualization and utility models that have been present in corporate IT systems for 30 years or more and were pioneered by his former company, IBM.

Previously, companies developed these networks for their own employees and didn't expect to be serving customers and partners outside the firewall, he said. But "things are materially different when building systems to serve the world of the Web than it is ... serving those that live in the company's four walls," Ozzie said.

Developers can use Microsoft's familiar .NET tools to build applications on Windows Azure and Microsoft used those tools to develop the environment, said Srivastava, who took the stage Monday after Ozzie to describe Azure in more detail. Eventually, Microsoft also will host all of its own Web-based services on Azure, he said.

Key to Azure is a Fabric Controller that "manages the lifecycle of the services" that developers build, Srivastava said.

The Fabric Controller "views all of the data center as fabric of shared hardware resources that can be managed and shared with all the services there," he said. This enables Azure to update developer's applications automatically, sparing them the hassle of updating those applications across individual PCs across the enterprise, Srivastava said.

Windows Azure also separates applications from the OS layer using Microsoft's virtualization technology, which also eliminates the need for updating desktop PCs when updating applications. This has long been a sore spot for corporate IT teams and has been seen as a stumbling block for enterprises to update to the latest version of the Windows client OS, Windows Vista.

Ozzie did not say when Windows Azure would be generally available, but said Microsoft will be discussing the platform in more detail in the next several days at the show.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Wink

During the last 2 years I have been working at a certain store, I would say that approx. 8 out of 10 customers who have bought a new PC with Vista installed have brought it back to have XP loaded on it instead. I guess the other 2 out of 10 know how to do it themselves.

Whether it be compatibility issues or just lack of familiarity, it certainly isn't what the customer wants.

Maybe this is one reason why Vista hasn't taken off as expected.

Oh well, lets hope their new efforts at Azure will take off. As long as it has no compatibility issues and is more comparable to XP, I cant see any problems.

Thanks

Im stickin with Vista, no probs here.
    Only had a few drama's with the sata Dvd drives on a customers Pc.
    But after setting up with ide then doing all updates, sata seems to be fine now.
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

I have no probs with Vista. Windows 7 is in development, and supposedly it was avaliable as an alpha at some Microsoft show recently. Rumours say it will be avaliable next year but remember Vista faces years of delays like most microsoft operating systems.

I know a lot of people had problems with Vista 64 because of the signed drivers issue, which is the only problem I've actually seen with Vista. I think most of the perception is due to Apple's marketing.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm on vista on my new mininote 2133, it was a bit too resource hungry (well for this wee thing) but since I killed all visualisations and the sidebar it seems to be running ok. I've only got BSOD a few times and there's a thumbnail error which seems to crash explorer and I dont think they're working on a fix given that it existed in XP too.

Does the job, though may remove it when I get back home in order to tinker with other OSs.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast