View Poll Results: Should there be an Alternative Energy Sub Forum?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there should be an Alternative Energy Sub Forum.

    50 75.76%
  • No stuff it lets just burn more fossil fuel.

    16 24.24%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 155

Thread: Who want's an Alternative Energy Sub Forum.

  1. #1
    Member vampyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria 400m up.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Reputation
    440

    Default Who want's an Alternative Energy Sub Forum.

    I thought it might be about time for a Alternative Energy Sub Forum.I am looking at experimenting with wind turbines.In particular VAWT.What does everyone think.


    Vamp
    De
    VK3AWG

    All Religions Are Cults Just Some Are More Readily Accepted Than Others.



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Senior Member MrElectricity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Penriff
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 215 Times in 112 Posts
    Rep Power
    263
    Reputation
    2923

    Default

    Has there been lots of threads in general chat or somthing to suggest interest in the subject?
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

  • #3
    Banned BlackDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where I live
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 367 Times in 237 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    1146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampyre View Post
    I thought it might be about time for a Alternative Energy Sub Forum.I am looking at experimenting with wind turbines.In particular VAWT.What does everyone think.


    Vamp
    The trouble with "Alternative Energy" is that it's so inefficient and expensive that it's not much of an alternative.

    Me, I like the thought of atomic reactors powering desalination plants.

    It's a damn site easier to store radio active waste than it is to sequester carbon for a long period.
    Last edited by BlackDuck; 28-10-08 at 07:42 PM. Reason: make Zilog happy.

  • #4
    Member vampyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria 400m up.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Reputation
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrElectricity View Post
    Has there been lots of threads in general chat or somthing to suggest interest in the subject?
    No.I just thought it might spark some interest.Nothing like building your own stuff.Sort of like growing your own vegies.


    Vamp
    De
    VK3AWG

    All Religions Are Cults Just Some Are More Readily Accepted Than Others.

  • #5
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDuck View Post
    The trouble with "Alternative Energy" is that it's so inefficient and expensive that it's not much of an alternative.

    Me, I like the thought of atomic reactors powering desalination plants.

    It's a damn site easier to store radio active waste than it is to sequester carbon for a long period.
    NOW...you're talking my language...baby, come on down....




    I am all for it, In fact i was doing a bit of work on my project today, since the weather was so nice and all that...


    Here's a pic of my new shed I am putting together to put my "stuff" in...



    I couldn't wait to put a load on it...a 2kw heater was what i used...it was about 97amps at 24 volts for those interested...
    The black batteries are 1600 amp hours...and easily did the job...




    Oh...don't wreck your back carrying those heavy batteries, get your spade and bucket on the job...


    .




    How else you gonna power your own desalination unit?

  • #6
    Senior Member
    Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,639
    Thanks
    15,892
    Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,571 Posts
    Rep Power
    2053
    Reputation
    74853

    Default

    Nice set up Zed, very impressive.

    Id be 100% interested in one.

    Maybe a alternative fuels/cars sub forum within it?

  • #7
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Nice set up Zed, very impressive.

    Id be 100% interested in one.

    Maybe a alternative fuels/cars sub forum within it?

    thanks mate, it's prettty messy cause the walls are still going up etc, but couldn't wait to try it with all the sun that was shining today....


    I got 20 more panels coming on Thursday, got in just before the price rise of 35% due to the Aussie dollar !!!!!

  • #8
    Member vampyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria 400m up.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Reputation
    440

    Default

    Now Z80 that is awesome.Lots-o-panels and heaps-o-batteries.I wish I had the $$$ to get some panels.I am starting small...I have 4 6v deep cycle batteries in the shed and I am looking at building a VAWT based on this .It is always windy here so I figure it is a good way to go.


    Vamp
    De
    VK3AWG

    All Religions Are Cults Just Some Are More Readily Accepted Than Others.

  • #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 94 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Reputation
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    NOW...you're talking my language...baby, come on down....




    I am all for it, In fact i was doing a bit of work on my project today, since the weather was so nice and all that...


    Here's a pic of my new shed I am putting together to put my "stuff" in...



    I couldn't wait to put a load on it...a 2kw heater was what i used...it was about 97amps at 24 volts for those interested...
    The black batteries are 1600 amp hours...and easily did the job...




    Oh...don't wreck your back carrying those heavy batteries, get your spade and bucket on the job...


    .




    How else you gonna power your own desalination unit?
    Next project, electric bobcat......

  • #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    831
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 434 Times in 193 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Reputation
    2277

    Default

    Love the idea !!! finally something I am really interested in Have a bit of gear here myself will post some pics etc if this section gets up and running.

    Zeds place looks like a lolly shop to me !!

  • #11
    Premium Member puca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    703
    Thanked 292 Times in 145 Posts
    Rep Power
    220
    Reputation
    1537

    Default

    thats going to be a aw-some green house z80 self powered hay
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

  • #12
    Junior Member zeke.damien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gippsland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Reputation
    58

    Default

    bring on the renewable energy sub forum, also way awsome photos their zed
    we are thinking about doing it but i am thinking hmmmm is 20,000 for the whole setup worth it
    become a premium member ---- DO IT NOW!!!!!!
    CFA Member District 9

  • #13
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke.damien View Post
    bring on the renewable energy sub forum, also way awsome photos their zed
    we are thinking about doing it but i am thinking hmmmm is 20,000 for the whole setup worth it
    It's only worth it if it saves you money mate (or it's your only option).

    $20k might not be enough with the $$$ sliding as it has done recently...

  • #14
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Even more sun today....


    But i need more electrons, I'm 6-7amps short still...



    In:- >>>>>





    and OUT:- >>>>>>



  • #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    831
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 434 Times in 193 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Reputation
    2277

    Default

    I can see thats a Selectronic Inverter , which model is it mate ?

  • #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by vampyre View Post
    Now Z80 that is awesome.Lots-o-panels and heaps-o-batteries.I wish I had the $$$ to get some panels.I am starting small...I have 4 6v deep cycle batteries in the shed and I am looking at building a VAWT based on this .It is always windy here so I figure it is a good way to go.


    Vamp
    i am glad that you find my design intersting, few things you need to know:
    i am improoving on my Vanes in a way that i am grabing every drop of wind that comes near it but it is taking me a bit more time, and Ametek30 is the best for the V8. also i am using ring magnets for the top baering, to much money i did that for testing only.

    i would love to see your progress.

    best regards

    faroun

  • #17
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I can see thats a Selectronic Inverter , which model is it mate ?

    It's the SA-21 with external 100 Amp shunt sensor, Joey.

    I am thinking about getting a bigger one, but then again I might be better off with two identical units for redundancy.

    No point having all one's eggs in one basket ....?

  • #18
    Premium Lager

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,601
    Thanks
    1,476
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Rep Power
    981
    Reputation
    34395

    Default

    i would love a source for super cheap high wattage solar panels

  • #19
    Senior Member z80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,842
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 77 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    708

    Default

    Here's the inverter i am upgrading to Friday afternoon...

    3600w continuous, 10kw surge.....




    @porkop-you need a wholesale account.

  • #20
    Junior Member zeke.damien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gippsland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Reputation
    58

    Default

    hey zed is it true that current batterys can only hold charge for 30 minutes or something along those lines, i am hoping an asian makes some battery thats realitvly cheap and can hold charge for at least 24 - 48 hours
    become a premium member ---- DO IT NOW!!!!!!
    CFA Member District 9

  • Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •