Thread: Monitor with composite video adjustment

Thanks

Default Monitor with composite video adjustment

I'm after a LCD/TFT monitor in the 8-14" range that has the ability to adjust the onscreen image position i.e. horizontal & vertical for composite input. Any suggestions?

I've got a device that outputs text, and on both a basic small LCD monitor and a TV with (yellow) composite in, a few characters are lost off the left hand side. The unit does not have adjustments itself, nor any components to tweak. Another unit of the same model has the same problem.

The old green/amber screens had these adjustments, but it seems to be a rare thing now. The device dates from the period of these monitors, so maybe the video out isn't quite to the current composite "standard".

One thought is to try a "video enhancer/stabilizer" to see if it will clean up the output, if that is the problem.

Damien VK3RX

Look Here ->
    Thanks

have you tried a widescreen LCD monitor?

Because CRT's are rounded, it necessary to overscan to fill up the tube.
    The text overlay box your using is probably getting its reference straight from the camera.

basically your monitor is not acctually displaying the entire picture from the camera..

wiki explains better than me..

Modern sets
    Today's TV sets can be based on newer fixed-pixel technologies like liquid crystal displays (LCDs), and those with CRTs have much less image drift with crystal-based timing, and so can have perfect image placement. Nevertheless, these sets when used for TV must overscan the image so that older programming will be framed as intended to be viewed. Even high-definition television (HDTV) sets overscan, although implementation of this is inconsistent. It is common to see HDTV sets crop out text and station logos on HDTV programming. In response to different picture ratios, some broadcasters crop, magnify, or stretch the original video, further distorting the image an HDTV set may receive.[3]

YOU NEED A MONITOR CAPABLE OF UNDERSCAN!!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the response.

No, I haven’t tried a widescreen monitor – I don’t recall seeing any in the 8-14” screen size.

There is not a camera involved. The device connected via composite outputs text on screen i.e. sort of electronic keyboard. The missing characters problem on the LHS occurs both with an LCD monitor and a crt (small portable TV).

The fundamental question was, does anyone know of a small LCD monitor that has the means to adjust the image position on screen, either controls within a menu or panel controls. Or if a video stabilizer has been used to clean up/correct problems from a connected device.

The larger monitors eg. 17" plus Dell brands do have such adjustments via menu, but the smaller monitors I've looked at so far don't eg. Micronica units.

I had hoped that monitors used for security systems might have such adjustments, to allow for tweaking of a variety of connected devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk3rx View Post
    Thanks for the response.

No, I haven’t tried a widescreen monitor – I don’t recall seeing any in the 8-14” screen size.

Ebay for cheap widescreen small monitors 9" wide screen

Thanks

One of these converters will give you all the functions you need , you can use your composite input and then output to a standard computer monitor , CRT or LCD .
    There a few other units there but basically you need a video scaler .

Thanks

If you have one of those units, somewhere in the menus does it allow moving the video horizontally & vertically? Or changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 or similar?

I've had a look at the operating manual but it is a little light on detail within the menus.