Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Are Sellers And Gammas The Same?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by $80 View Post
    Real Gamma Card is not At90SC ATMEL ^^
    Motorola Inc licensed its Secure M210 controller core, based on its M-Core 32-bit microRISC core architecture, to Atmel Corp in 1999 to use the technology for a new line of embedded microcontrollers aimed at the smart-card industry. Amtel ended up buying Motorola complete Motorola Inc's smart card chip business. The key advantage of this embembeded processor platform is its high code density, low power usage and wide range of operating voltage. Each MCore instruction is fixed at just 16 bits: no more, no less. This frees up a lot of silicon realestate for memory and other useful co-processors .

If the assumption that the gamma code was written for the m-core embembeded processor is correct then the Gamma Card must be based upon a smartcard with a 32-bit microRISC CPU.

What device does Atmel produce that is 32 bit based on m-core architecture? You can exclude both the At90sc and At91sc ATMEL as both of these are based upon the ARM architecture.
    Last edited by autertip; 08-01-09 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Extra information

Thanks

Default AT90SC and AT91SC cards

AT90SC and AT91SC Developement tools.

AT91SC parametric Product Table

Other interesting findings

Thanks

Hi Corbra1, as mentioned in my post both the AT90SC and AT91SC do NOT use the m-core architecture and hence why I do not believe the Gamma is actually a ATMEL smartcard at all.

When this code was first published it was reported a Freescale MMC2107 32bit processor was used. However, frescale did not produce a smartcard version unless they did a special run for the gamma team.

The other issue to my theory regarding the freescale is that they do not provide direct support for crypto on there devices which means the 3DES decryption must be implemented in software. I did find published libraries for the m-core which does make me believe its possible. It also explains why the card gets so hot with the ammount of decryption it performs in software.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robpi View Post

all with 1.04 OS

Thanks

lol at $250 each US lol = $356.50 AUS lol cheaper to buy a sellers card

Tagg

Thanks

From that page:

"All cards are tested before shipping and checked for valid transport code (ATR)."

What does this mean? They have the gamma ATR or the Atmel 7272 ATR?

I have said this before and I'll keep saying it...
    Q. how does whoever runs that store know that the AT90SC7272's are gamma's?
    A. Because whoever sold the cards said they were.

Do you think the Gammashop has virginised the gamma cards to test? I don't think so.

I think that is simply a case of false advertising.

If somebody reading this has bought one of the gammacards and has virginised it, speak up.

ag
    Energy is the father of creation

Thanks

What does it take to create a gamma on any platform if the source for the OS is published?

You could compile it for ATMEL (AT90SC and AT91SC family), STMicroelectronics or even create your own dreambox Gamma emu.

The OS compiles. Just need to use the right crypto library and modify the the serial.c to support the target platform.

For example to compile the code for the AT90SC7272
    1. Download the compiler from
    2. Google and find the ATMEL crypto tool box and HAL libraries for the AT90SC family
    3. Modify the crypto functions to use those in the ATMEL tool box (these are linked in during the compile)
    Eg: des_setkey (), des_ecb_crypt () and AEmodN_for_RSA ();
    4. Update serial.c to use the correct SCI ports.
    5. Compile and load into AT90SC7272

Will it load a .gam file? The answer is NO because the crucial CARDXORKEY and abUpdateKeys that are contained in the CardKeys.s file are all set to 0xFF.

Until you know what these values are you have no chance in creating a true working gamma as the 020000 commands from the .gam file will not decrypt correctly.

By the way to process for making a gamma emu for dreambox is a lot easier since the rqcamd source code has the software architecture to supports it.

Again without the correct CARDXORKEY and abUpdateKeys there is no value
    Last edited by autertip; 09-01-09 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added a little more info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autertip View Post
    What does it take to create a gamma on any platform if the source for the OS is published?

You could compile it for ATMEL (AT90SC and AT91SC family), STMicroelectronics or even create your own dreambox Gamma emu.

The OS compiles. Just need to use the right crypto library and modify the the serial.c to support the target platform.

For example to compile the code for the AT90SC7272
    1. Download the compiler from
    2. Google and find the ATMEL crypto tool box and HAL libraries for the AT90SC family
    3. Modify the crypto functions to use those in the ATMEL tool box (these are linked in during the compile)
    Eg: des_setkey (), des_ecb_crypt () and AEmodN_for_RSA ();
    4. Update serial.c to use the correct SCI ports.
    5. Compile and load into AT90SC7272

Will it load a .gam file? The answer is NO because the crucial CARDXORKEY and abUpdateKeys that are contained in the CardKeys.s file are all set to 0xFF.

Until you know what these values are you have no chance in creating a true working gamma as the 020000 commands from the .gam file will not decrypt correctly.

By the way to process for making a gamma emu for dreambox is a lot easier since the rqcamd source code has the software architecture to supports it.

Again without the correct CARDXORKEY and abUpdateKeys there is no value
    You are, of course, correct that with the source code and the required keys, code can be compiled for almost any platform.

The question of this thread is whether gammas are the same card as the sellers, and secondarily whether they are 7272's as widely rumoured.

My opinion is that the gamma is the same as the sellers card (same processor, different os) and that the original gamma (and by inference sellers cards) are not 7272's.

This opinion is based on
    1. measurement of current drawn by a selection of cards
    2. photography of the original gamma die.

What do you think?
    ag

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autertip View Post
    Motorola Inc licensed its Secure M210 controller core, based on its M-Core 32-bit microRISC core architecture, to Atmel Corp in 1999 to use the technology for a new line of embedded microcontrollers aimed at the smart-card industry. Amtel ended up buying Motorola complete Motorola Inc's smart card chip business. The key advantage of this embembeded processor platform is its high code density, low power usage and wide range of operating voltage. Each MCore instruction is fixed at just 16 bits: no more, no less. This frees up a lot of silicon realestate for memory and other useful co-processors .

If the assumption that the gamma code was written for the m-core embembeded processor is correct then the Gamma Card must be based upon a smartcard with a 32-bit microRISC CPU.

What device does Atmel produce that is 32 bit based on m-core architecture? You can exclude both the At90sc and At91sc ATMEL as both of these are based upon the ARM architecture.
    Motorola's Secure M210 M-CORE Processor Licensed to Atmel; Advanced 32-Bit microRISC
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Motorola's+Secure+M210+M-CORE+Processor+Licensed+to+Atmel%3B+Advanced...-a054614976

ATMEL AT90SC7272C Certification

hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/fr/confiance/certificats/certificat2005_05.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2& ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAtmel%2BAT578B3%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Atmel based Secure Microcontrollers 32-bit RISC CPU - Devices

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agarol View Post

My opinion is that the gamma is the same as the sellers card (same processor, different os) and that the original gamma (and by inference sellers cards) are not 7272's.

This opinion is based on
    1. measurement of current drawn by a selection of cards
    2. photography of the original gamma die.

What do you think?
    ag
    I agree with you that original gamma and seller cards are the same. This opinion is also drawn from the photography of the original gamma die.

I also agree that these cards are NOT the 7272. I believe they are not even from any ATMEL product range at.

This is based upon
    1. The maximum current draw for at AT88SC, AT90SC and AT91SC family is 10mA (Icc) when set at maximum Vcc of 5.5V. We should have fried the cards by now.
    2. The gamma source code. The code does not leverage any of the inbuilt ATMEL crypto hardware. Why use a Secure Microcontrollers if your not going to use any of its crypto features.
    3. The cards are not fully ISO 7186 compliant - hence why they do not work in all readers.

if not ATMEL then what are they? I believe they are microRISC based microcontrollers manufactured into cards.

Anyway thats my opinion .... autertip.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Cobra1;128793]Motorola's Secure M210 M-CORE Processor Licensed to Atmel; Advanced 32-Bit microRISC
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Motorola's+Secure+M210+M-CORE+Processor+Licensed+to+Atmel%3B+Advanced...-a054614976
    QUOTE]

ATMEL ended up abandoning the microRISC architecture developed by Motorola for the ARM architecture in 2002. They did not end up developing any cards based upon this technology.

This is why AT88SC, AT90SC and AT91SC all require the ARM development environment.

Thanks

autertip, not wanting to get in an arguement with you , i may be just misunderstanding something. I am a little confused? You [quote ATMEL ended up abandoning the microRISC architecture developed by Motorola for the ARM architecture in 2002. They did not end up developing any cards based upon this technology.

This is why AT88SC, AT90SC and AT91SC all require the ARM development environment./quote
    Following statement has nothing to do with whether or not gamma is on a7272c or 8 bit versus 32 bit but about ARM versus RISC?
    You can take a mallet to my head to fix it but in this doc page 9/12 clearly states AT90SC are based on Atmels popular AVR 8-bit RISC microcontroller core? While AT91SP are based on 32-bit ARM7 core!

I need a panadol!

Thanks

Sorry for the headache Cobra. I understand now the confusion. Hopefully this clear its up.

Rather then saying ATMEL abandoned microRISC I should have said ATMEL abandoned M-Core.

Your are correct, the acronym RISC stands for Reduced Instruction Set Computing, represents a CPU design strategy.

Well known RISC families include Alpha, ARC, ARM, AVR (ATMEL's technology), MIPS, PA-RISC, PIC, Power Architecture (including PowerPC), SuperH, SPARC and M-Core.

ARM which standards for Advanced RISC Machines don't actually produce CPU but instead licenses the design to chip manufacturers. One such design known as ARM7, a range of low-power 32-bit RISC microprocessor cores optimized for cost and power-sensitive consumer applications was licensed to ATMEL for use in there AT91SC family. This occurred in 2007 and ATMEL began producing and selling the AT91SC in early 2008.

My intent with that statement was to highlight the published gamma source has strong evidence that it was written for the M-Core RISC achitecture. In particular to the MMC2107 Micro-controller. This forms the basis of my opinion that the gamma is not a ATMEL smartcard.

I'm happy to take this to PMs so we don't take the thread of its real topic.

cheers,
    autertip

Thanks

Panadol and a good nights sleep help.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me and everybody else. It's not realy off topic as it is relevant to discussion on what is or is not a gamma/seller card. You have put up an arguement and backed it up with relevant info as did i. So our conclusion is and we now agree: Gamma and Seller cards [U]are the [/U]same and are NOT of the Atmel 88 through 91 series of smartcards.

Thanks

Good work gentlemen

Now let's debate whether the gamma (m-core) is likely to be receptive to timing attacks, etc. What would be really interesting would be the update keys...

ag

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Has anyone had a look at AT90SC144144?
    A little birdie of a friend of a friend told me that's what they are.

Thanks

Do you know how reliable the birdie is and on what information does he make these claims?

I suspect your birdie friend is a parrot

ag

Thanks

too bad we don't have a way of checking into sales figures of different cards because I'm sure you would have seen a sales spike when these gammas hit the streets..

Thanks

Actually I've got a better idea. why don't we just track down one of those sellers busted in those raids last year and ask them what cards they were using. Then again these may have been pre loaded overseas and they have no idea, just good contacts.

• Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast