Thread: KIa Sportage Misfiring and loss of power

Thanks

Default KIa Sportage Misfiring and loss of power

This is a very common problem for Kia Sportage 1996 to 1999 models. I hade mine for 11 years now and I notice this problem surfaced about 5years ago. I replaced the spark plug and noticed one of the ignition coil has a crack on the casing. After assembling it the car worked again. When this problem in the past surfaces all had did was clean the spark plugs and all is good again.

Last week the problem came back and it was worst. The misfiring was like a drunk singing in a karaoke bar - timing is all gone and the loss of power is terrible. When I stop and let the engine idle it would huff and puff and would stop completely. So i opened the top of the engine and did what did before - clean and replace the spark plugs. This did not help. The problem appears to be staying.

I then decided to have a closer look at the ignition coil and noticed that the cracked had got worse and this time both ignition coil has cracks. I went to buy new coils and the now my kia works like new again.

Hope this help other with Kia. I believe this problem is also common with all kia models pre 2004.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Many cars have ignition coils or coil packs that crack.

The Skyline GTR is renown for this. A coil for each cylinder.

Sometimes people have been known to re insulate them as a temp fix, the GTR coil packs are around the $800 mark for a set of 6.

I think that if your Kia plays up again maybe you should look towards an aftermarket brand that may be more reliable than the factory units.

Thanks

Had a similar problem with my 2002 kia carnival and yes the problem ended up being the coil had developed a hairline crack , replacing it fixed the problem.
    May be a common problem with kias when they start getting older.