Thread: setting up a twin wireless network

Thanks

Question setting up a twin wireless network

hello all, a newbie here.
    i have been charged with setting up a twin wireless network inside a multi room office complex.
    there are about 5 large rooms in a distance of maybe 70Mtrs. long ways
    i was thinking about a wireless unit each end there-abouts.
    both cabled back to a central adsl modem (already in use).
    My question is: anyone have a good idea about how to have 2 wireless units in use off of a single modem.
    if need i can purchase a new adsl modem to work in with the 2 wireless ones.
    any help on what brand modem - routers to use.
    i have a fairly good general knowledge about setting up and using std adsl modems and routers but have never used a combo setup before.

thanks in advance
    john

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if they are hard wired as you intend to then they will work without issues as long as they have separate ip's i would also disable their ability to do dhcp and let your modem do all that and have any laptop etc connecting to them have static ips set also make sure you set the wireless encryption

Thanks

Depends how many people you will have connecting ?
    Sounds like a few, remember there is limits.
    Sorry Fandtm, but i would do it the otherway around, turn off dhcp on the modem, set the APs with static and set them to give out ips, that is if they can work as a dhcp server.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
    Depends how many people you will have connecting ?
    Sounds like a few, remember there is limits.
    255 available connections minus that of the modem and 2 x wireless leaves 252 so doubt that would be a problem

Sorry Fandtm, but i would do it the otherway around, turn off dhcp on the modem, set the APs with static and set them to give out ips, that is if they can work as a dhcp server.
    1: by disabling the dhcp on the modem would mean that anything directly connected to it such as desktop pc's / dreams/etc would need a manual static ip set.

2: main reason for disabling dhcp on the wireless is so that if anyone even tries to connect unless they know the ip range and set a static ip on their computer they could never connect.I always recommend setting static ips to anything that you have connected to the modem so as all port forwarding one may want to do never has issues should there be a reboot of the modem and then being assigned a different ip.I also recommend that with any wireless is to have it set to accept only authorised mac address connections

Thanks

Default twin wireless

thanks for the tips.
    there will be about 10 desktop unites hard wired into the main modem via a network adapter, the twin wireless units will be used by visitors and students.
    i was looking at locking the ip address to the desktop units and having the wireless units open with a password we would give out to anyone that wanted to use wireless as we have a lot of visitors from around the country and overseas so would need the wireless units to have auto ip setup.
    can you recommend any wireless units that would work together.
    thanks
    john

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

dont forget you should have the computers seemlessly associate with either of the ap's, in the case of a roaming laptop from room to room, as users dont want to bother about switching ssid's etc.

Personally, 70 metres isnt all that great a distance for wifi and 1 ap should do it successfully although two allows for redundacy.

I doubt there would be 255 connections in a 5 room office/home enviroment