Thread: Amplifier Audio Setup Help

Thanks

Default Amplifier Audio Setup Help

Hey guys. I need some advice/help with my home theatre setup. I don't know diddly squat about audio equipment. Basically what i want to know is which amplifier best suites my needs? And through which speakers should i hook my subwoofer for optimum quality?

At the moment i have the following:

Optimus SW-12 Subwoofer
    100w-200w
    This has inputs/outputs in the form of L/R+/- input from speakers, L/R+/- output to amplifier. Should i run this through Front or back channel? Should i just upgrade because it is an old sub?

2x Jamo X890
    80-500w
    These have four L/R+/- what are the second set for? How do i wire them? From what ive seen most amps only have one set, should i not wire a set or double up on the amplifier?

3x Jamo Bookshelf Speakers
    30-80w

1x Jamo Centre Speaker
    30-80w

I'm not to fussed about video switching capabilities. If you need any more info fire away. Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I'm of the opinion that good sound doesn't need to cost the earth...
    In fact, it's the older gear that often outperforms this new modern junk. As an example, I have Technics gear from the 80s that will romp all over some of the expensive stuff that's on sale today. It's also built better.

Now, for home theatre, a good AV controller or amp is a must. Dolby digital DTS is a good way to go, and these can be picked up for easy money. 5.1 would be a minimum, but there are amps that support 6.1 and 7.1 as well.

Choice of brand? That's a hard one and often comes down to personal preference. Google any brand or model number and you will come up with a product review for it that will tell you what it's REALLY like.

Your Jamo centre speaker is fine - use it as it is intended.

The two Jamo bookshelf speakers would be ideal as rears.

The X890s, while I am not familiar with them, would be your front left and right. You need to find out what the extra L/R connections are for. They may be linked from the inputs, to drive extra speakers - perhaps even to drive the bookshelf speakers. They may be "bi-amp" speakers - ie designed to be used with an amp that has separate low frequency and high frequency outputs.

The easiest way would be to hook these up to an amp and have a listen. If they sound fine, then you're good to go. If they are missing the bass or tops then they are bi-amp speakers, in which case simply bridge the two + terminals and the two - terminals together. This will give you a full-range speaker.

As for the sub, it depends on how good it is. You say it's old. This may mean that the foam surround on the speaker cone has perished in which case the sub will most likely "fart" when it's operating. If this is the case, it would be worthwhile upgrading unless you can get a new foam surround fitted for cheap. There is however the possibility that the voice coil has been damaged if the speaker has been run like this. Only an inspection will tell.

However, if the sub is in good operational condition, go ahead and use it. Just hook it across the left front output of the amp. Given that it has speaker level inputs, it will have the appropriate crossover/attenuator network built in.
    Speaker level inputs are not the most ideal, but if it works, there's no need to go spending money on something else. Sub bass carries relatively little audio information so the reproduction of it is not critical.

Most home theatre amps have at least a sub pre-out to drive a powered sub, some amps have a dedicated sub amplifier stage built in and can drive a standard sub to reasonable levels.

When you want to move up a notch, you buy a separate sub amp - a mono amp capable of providing several hundred watts, and a nice big ported sub to hang off the end of it. Menus and controls on the amp will allow you to customise your sub's response and levels.

Thanks

The decision on the amp will ultimately come down to quality and amount you wish to spend.

for a very good unit and in a reasonable price range i would be looking at the yamaha's more so the

RX-V1900

otherwise a cheap entry level one that will support hd pass through

RX-V463

my suggestion is getting a decent amp now to use with your current speakers because you can always upgrade them at a later stage.

Thanks

I have the yamaha rx-v463. (htr-6130) pretty well the same except usb.
    Purchase new as a package with 5 small yamaha speakers and a yamaha powered sub for $500 from hardly normal.
    It fairly well annoys the neighbours, the remote sucks but I am more than happy with the sound quality and amount of inputs etc.
    Will only switch HDMI, It does NOT upscale to hd.
    .( I wanted the Onkyo , but could not double the budget)
    Last edited by rob916; 04-11-08 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

Excellent, cheers for the help guys. Seems like i will use my current Jamo 6.1 because they are near brand new and look quite appealling. It looks like i will have to fork out the bank for a good amplifier. I might ditch the sub because it is old and i dont know where it was lurking prior to appearing at my house. Where would i find a mono amp in Sydney metro area? (Or is that a bit of an overkill, will an onkyo amp + sub be efficent enough?)

Also, lately i have been looking into upgrading my crappy little set top box. I'll never be able to afford foxtel, and TiVo just dosn't seem to live up to its name (and $). Now i was going to get any off the shelf set top box until i came across this forum (Heaven!) and started reading about Satellite tv, im most likely going to invest in a set top box which is compatible, incase i ever wrap my head around dish pointing and creating cards. From what ive read Strong seems to be the top brand in this area(im probably mistaken). Practically im looking for a Twin Tuner/PVR, im willing to pay a bit. Also who stocks these boxes, are they only available online?

Sorry if this belongs in sat forums, i just didnt want to create another thread.
    Again thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Twin tuner/PVR try Relook 400S
    Great box.
    Sciteq in WA sells them I think.