Thread: Original Xbox , What can I do....

Thanks

Default Original Xbox , What can I do....

Hey there gents, Ive asked this in the past and never got round to applying the knowledge to the machine, now with the recent crash I cannot even find what to do.

Ok Here I go...

Have heard I can have xbox game roms on My PC Server as it has a Couple of Terabytes of HDD space, and network Xbox thru router to connect to these?? True or not? What is needed to acheive this, XBMC, Dashboards etc?? I have 2 standard Xboxs in 2 rooms, they havent had any mods whatso ever, I am prepared to Mod in which ever way I can, BUt the simpliest easiest DIY method (I am technical minded, can operate a soldering Iron etc so I could do alot of stuff myself to save the $$ Factor)

All I am after is advice.

The Xboxs both play Burnt movies, but I havent had any Burnt games to try or even tried networking it at all as of yet...

What options have I got?? Thanks xbox gurus...

What are others using?? And why?? Please tell as much as you can. Thankyou

If this post breaks any Forum rules, Please accept apologies and delete if nessecary

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You can modify your XBOX to play burned games, and all sorts of multimedia by doing 2 things: 1st is softmodding (basically get a game like splinter cell, make a usb-gamepad adaptor, copy a special savegame to the xbox and load with splinter cell.. you've now got a modded xbox) then 2nd is install XBMC as your dashboard.

There are a gazillion tutorials out there that explain it a million times better than I ever could.. I hope this helps

Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks

Thanks mate, I will do a search on a few tutorials see what I can turn up

Any other suggestions anyone has about other alternatives would still be appreciated, pros and cons etc..

Thanks

would be easier to mod both with a chip
    if you can solder they are easy
    to do what you want a larger hard drive is needed in both box's wont need to be to big if you are networking them
    games are avg 3g each
    you will need a installer either slayer or whatever plenty about
    they will come with all software needed

Thanks

If you are going to do this mod yourself you have to find out what version xbox original you have got.

1.0 - 1.6. as they can take different chips and different modding techniques.

there are tutorials on about how to find the version of you console.

if you are going to be only playing offline. dont worry about a chip that can be turned off and on. they are for playing xbox live. chips get detected on xbl and the console gets banned.

then put larger ide hdds in. best to get 5400rpm hdds over 7200 if you can get any old hdds. as they ran cooler.

slayers has the software and programs to get the box working with the new hdd in it.

I dont know how games would go over 100mbit lan. loading times may be a lot slower.

If you want an excellent mod done at fantastic prices contact micksxboxmods he will look after you

Thanks

thanx guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    if you are going to be only playing offline. dont worry about a chip that can be turned off and on. they are for playing xbox live. chips get detected on xbl and the console gets banned.
    Its not the chips they detect, its the additional files on c and e drive, thats why stealth installs need to be done for xbl.

gimme a call if you need help doing this.
    Mick

Thanks

Xbox Media Centre - it's the only way to go! It does everything you want, along with a thousand more things you don't realise you want until you find out it does them. Media playback - every codec under the sun, network sharing and streaming from your PC, web streaming, basic web browsing including Youtube, emulation of other game consoles, and on the list goes. It even plays Xbox games.

The easiest way to achieve this of course, is to have it done for you. A good commercial modder will chip it and deliver it running XBMC, ready to rock. But if you're tech minded, determined to do things for free, and enjoy reading until your eyes bleed, you can softmod it.

Read up on Kingroach's Ndure mod. This modifies the software on the Xbox HDD, essentially taking the place of a modchip. In a tiny tiny nutshell, you compile a boot CD (for PC), chuck your Xbox drive into your computer, and make the changes. Once the mod is done, you add XBMC and use it as your dash (look for the T3CH build).

The fly in the ointment here, is that the Xbox locks the HDD using a unique EEPROM code, so that it's only readable in your Xbox - not any other Xbox, and not your PC. In order to access it, or build a new one from scratch (which you ought to be doing), you first need the EEPROM code of your Xbox.

The EEPROM.bin file is THE most important part of this whole process. It's your key to the Xbox, and your safety net if anything goes wrong. As long as you've got it, you'll always be able to build/repair a drive for your Xbox.

You may read about the HDD hot-swap method to get around acquiring your EEPROM. Don't do that, it's risky and rough as guts. You can aquire your EEPROM info by (i) using one of the game save exploits, which will allow you to use ConfigMagic to read your EEPROM, or (ii) building an EEPROM reader, and reading it straight off the chip yourself. I did the latter - about $3 in components, plus a couple of free Windows apps called PonyProg and LiveInfo. It's the best little gadget a modder can have.

I'm kind of trailing off here to go outside for a cigarette ...hopefully some of this helps, feel free to ask more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gruso View Post
    Xbox Media Centre - it's the only way to go! It does everything you want, along with a thousand more things you don't realise you want until you find out it does them. Media playback - every codec under the sun, network sharing and streaming from your PC, web streaming, basic web browsing including Youtube, emulation of other game consoles, and on the list goes. It even plays Xbox games.

The easiest way to achieve this of course, is to have it done for you. A good commercial modder will chip it and deliver it running XBMC, ready to rock. But if you're tech minded, determined to do things for free, and enjoy reading until your eyes bleed, you can softmod it.

Read up on Kingroach's Ndure mod. This modifies the software on the Xbox HDD, essentially taking the place of a modchip. In a tiny tiny nutshell, you compile a boot CD (for PC), chuck your Xbox drive into your computer, and make the changes. Once the mod is done, you add XBMC and use it as your dash (look for the T3CH build).

The fly in the ointment here, is that the Xbox locks the HDD using a unique EEPROM code, so that it's only readable in your Xbox - not any other Xbox, and not your PC. In order to access it, or build a new one from scratch (which you ought to be doing), you first need the EEPROM code of your Xbox.

The EEPROM.bin file is THE most important part of this whole process. It's your key to the Xbox, and your safety net if anything goes wrong. As long as you've got it, you'll always be able to build/repair a drive for your Xbox.

You may read about the HDD hot-swap method to get around acquiring your EEPROM. Don't do that, it's risky and rough as guts. You can aquire your EEPROM info by (i) using one of the game save exploits, which will allow you to use ConfigMagic to read your EEPROM, or (ii) building an EEPROM reader, and reading it straight off the chip yourself. I did the latter - about $3 in components, plus a couple of free Windows apps called PonyProg and LiveInfo. It's the best little gadget a modder can have.

I'm kind of trailing off here to go outside for a cigarette ...hopefully some of this helps, feel free to ask more.
    dude, I wouldn't recommend a softmod to a person new to xbox1, a recipe for disaster!!! This in itself is riskier than any hotswap.

NO SOFTMOD will EVER take the place of a modchip!!!!!!!!

btw, the best gadget a modder can have is a quality soldering station!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods View Post

btw, the best gadget a modder can have is a quality soldering station!!!

I have a weller soldering station. the black one with the variable temp. but can not get tips for it. have tried dick smith and jaycar.

it was bought from dick smith powerhouse.

Thanks

Thanks Mick, I was guna call u but I sorta guessed you would be busy... I will give you a call at a decent hour and discuss matters.. Cheers again guys, Appreciate the comments from all..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods View Post
    NO SOFTMOD will EVER take the place of a modchip!!!!!!!!
    No arguments there. And at this point I'll point out to streeter75 that Mick is more the authority on this topic than me!

Softmodding is strictly for those who really want it done for free, and are up for a challenge. Streeter75 sounds like he's up to the task, but yeah, it's not for everyone.

I can't solder on PCBs to save myself, nor can I afford a good soldering station, so I'll rephrase my EEPROM reader statement: It's the best little gadget a tight arsed soft modder can have. :P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    I have a weller soldering station. the black one with the variable temp. but can not get tips for it. have tried dick smith and jaycar.

it was bought from dick smith powerhouse.
    Next time you got to dick smith get the tip off the display unit if possible. They sometimes do have what you need if you think that way.

Cheers
    Blown Humax 5400Z, Strong SRT 4658X, Strong 4663X and DM 518.