Thread: BMW E46 brakes

Thanks

Default BMW E46 brakes

Have to purchase new brakes for my bimmer ,dont wish to buy originals as they cost an arm and a leg . Any suggestions? What do you guys think of Bendix? Also is it true that the brake sensors need to be changed also if the pilot light on the dash has been activated?

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I use Bendix Ceramic on my daily driver, good pads. Depending how far you have driven on the sensor, might be worth replacing. All it is, is a contact that when it touches the disc the light comes on in the dash. Just a little trick with the bimmers is when you replace the pads (and not the sensor) sometimes the pilot light stays on, it's normal. Just turn the ignition key up twice, then off, then start the car. Should clear the light. If not disconnect the battery terminal for 10mins then connect it, should clear the ECU error. Just a sticky thing with the bimmers

Sensors needed: If changing all brakes, you will need 1 for the front and one for the back.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 10-11-08 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Correction, mate advised me if you are changing the pads after the pilot light comes on then it is recommended to change "snap in sensor"

Thanks

Thanks once again for the feedback...much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Check to see how much wear you have on the sensor before replacing it.

Its every easy to make up a new contact if your old one is worn and you dont want to buy a new one.

The factory 46 pads are a very soft compound, don't go too hard in compound as it will wear out your rotors prematurely.

Use some anti squeal compound behind the pads, the design of the rattle shims is not too good at stopping the annoying sound.