Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Monitoring via IP or GPRS

Thanks

Default Monitoring via IP or GPRS

Hey guys just wondering what the general cost monitoring by these methods would be.
    Also what brands are available and if they send there info encrypted.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Similar cost as Securtiel. You will find units that use the public domain as a delivery platform us encryption. Who in there right mind would use the public domain to send there security info even with encryption. One use's a private network that is not accesible to the outside world you will pay slightly more for this privalage.

Thanks

Im not going to ask why a private network would be better because that sounds like a fire starter. But I would like to know what brands are out there. Dont want to here whats better or crap just want the options.

Cheers

Thanks

Really Kiwi, you should know better.

Banks use the public domain, share brokers use it, even the tax department use it. So as long as it is encrypted appropriately then I think we can all agree that the public domain is a valid delivery platform and move on to the other points which separate the different vendors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jtek View Post
    Yep - but they don't.

Banks use the public domain, share brokers use it, even the tax department use it. So as long as it is encrypted appropriately then I think we can all agree that the public domain is a valid delivery platform and move on to the other points which separate the different vendors.
    Wasting your breath Jtek.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minstral View Post
    Im not going to ask why a private network would be better because that sounds like a fire starter.

But I would like to know what brands are out there. Dont want to here whats better or crap just want the options.
    GPRS - you have the 4 main players. SCSI. Suretek, Inner Range and Permaconn. If you dig a little deeper you will find NT Software, who act as agents for yours truly, and Contact Services in Sydney who act as agents for Terrier in the UK. Test them and make your own judgement.

IP - well, I've not heard of anything that comes close to competing with our devices represented by NT Software - or even if there is anything else readily available. The device we manufacture uses AES 256 encryption, but we have also developed a solution using 'off the shelf' Linksys VoIP adapters. Nobody can come close to us on price, so for customers that can get over the lack of encryption - it's an ideal replacement for a PSTN dialer.

That is my overview of the IP/GPRS market in Australia as it stands today.

Thanks

Firstly just to clarify. IP is the protocol and GPRS is the medium to deliver.

In relation to Jtek's comment I think that Kiwi has a point.

Here's my thoughts.

You have to wonder what does a truely end to end totally Private Network which costs $$$$$$$$$$ have to offer above and beyond the free to air public internet..???? The answer is security !!!

Banks, Share Brokers and even the Taxation Department use Public Domain. Sure I agree, for non essential Internet Banking, the purchasing of shares and lodgement of taxation returns. I certainly dont think that they are life or death type services. When using these services it is "all care and no responsibility" and there are more written disclaimers avoiding liability (that you must accept) than you can poke a stick at.

When it comes to Bank's own internal (essential) systems such as fixed site ATM's they are all on Frame Relay...have you ever taken the time to wonder why ?? I would say it is because there is no public access and absolutely no risk of outside access. Banks cannot afford this risk of public access to their own networks.

Now I was watching the news recently with interest. It would appear that the Chinese army hacked into the Pentagon. They also hacked into the networks of US defence companies and think tanks. Im not sure how much encryption you would expect the Pentagon to use, but I would assume a little more than a simple security industry related IP device. ???

So you have to wonder...is encryption on the public internet a false sense of security ??

Whats more, for good measure they also hacked into the German Government.

I agree that these are high level hacks...and I agree that public domain is a "delivery platform" but whether it is a "valid" platform for the security industry only time will tell. For my thoughts once you have "any degree whatsoever" of public access you are up for whoever and whenever someone wants to play on the network.

Thanks

Hey guys just wondering what the general cost monitoring by these methods would be.
    Also what brands are available and if they send there info encrypted.

Cheers
    Hi Minstral

In relation to monitoring costs, you would be best speaking to the member Central Monitoring stations direct as the charges are basically based on the securitel model. All manufacturers / network providers will advise you of their
    supporting Central Stations.

This is probably not the best medium to advertise prices on but depending what polling plan you require there are selectable plans from 4 hour down to 60 seconds with the most common being 90 seconds. With the network that I support, all plans come with unlimited alarm traffic, with the "premium" plans providing unlimited GSM voice traffic as a redundant transmission path with no associated call costs.

As far as product goes there are several on the market. I naturally support SCSI's DirectWireless network and we have just released the DTU/3Plus which is the first fully optioned GPRS transmitter to be delivered into the market place at a third of the cost of current systems. This product provides "Always On" DW GPRS1 - GPRS2 - GSM & PSTN connection.

Food for thought......One of the big four financial institutions has just completed their review of available technologies and has awarded contract based on network security.....I would like to think that they have done the homework for all..

Thanks

Jtek...been down this road with you before aint going to waste my time or breath have a nice day.

Thanks

There are other options available, you dont have to use the main stream providers, medium sized companies with their own control room's can purchase receivers and monitor & maintain their own IP & GPRS based monitoring solutions

Thanks

Again Keef, can you please explain? There are 4 main players in this race, unless you go to Safecom, that in itself would be another kettle of fish. NO competitors.
    Secure synthesized radio with polling and reliability, the restrictions are distance and repeaters.

Thanks

I hear all the time Public versus Private, So which providers are using public internet ? And which Private ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneytech View Post
    I hear all the time Public versus Private, So which providers are using public internet ? And which Private ?
    You'll be hearing plenty more about it, but just for clarity - SCSI have a private network and the rest use the public internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by No Brainer View Post
    In relation to monitoring costs, you would be best speaking to the member Central Monitoring stations direct as the charges are basically based on the securitel model.
    In other words - EXPENSIVE !

No Brainer - you will notice that in the very first line of this thread, the word COST was mentioned. Your business model is based solely on the supposed security benefits of your private network and it seems like you are fairly and squarely aimed at banks and other high security applications. Fair Dinkum and best of luck to you.

For the rest of us with slightly shallower pockets, a worldwide recession is looming and based on enquires we have had from Securitel customers wanting to make COST savings, it is my belief that COST will be a major factor in the decision making process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    In other words - EXPENSIVE !
    Expensive !!! I dont think so... The premium service...the Rolls Royce so to say...is affordable to all....That is the service with 90 second polling, unlimited Alarm Traffic and GSM Voice as an additional redundant path thrown in with absolutely no call charges.....it is amazing how COST effective it is. Prices only go downwards from there to the 4 hour polling plan which is positioned at less than half the premium cost....work it out !! With all alarm traffic included there is no reason why "Australian Working Families" should not have their homes on the 4 hour or 1 hour polling plan....In fact the average Australian family can afford the Premium service and it would have no affect on their budget. Believe me it is cheap for even those with the shallowist of pockets.

No Brainer - you will notice that in the very first line of this thread, the word COST was mentioned. Your business model is based solely on the supposed security benefits of your private network and it seems like you are fairly and squarely aimed at banks and other high security applications. Fair Dinkum and best of luck to you.
    Thank you for your good wishes.

Correct..the business model is based on the factual "security" benefits of the Private Network....

But DW is not aimed at just Banks and high security applications. DW is fairly and squarely aimed at anyone who takes their security seriously. The fact that a major Australian Financial Institution together with the worlds largest bank has now chosen DW is testament to the technology. And yes they get the bells & whistles and the overall savings to their organisations on a national basis when comparred to Securitel are massive.

For the rest of us with slightly shallower pockets, a worldwide recession is looming and based on enquires we have had from Securitel customers wanting to make COST savings, it is my belief that COST will be a major factor in the decision making process.
    Firstly if there is a recession looming then more than ever there will be a need for highly reliable, effective and efficient security. From memory during a recession crime increases.

Secondly Securitel customers are normally directed to the service by their Insurance Companies and therefore the cost is not really a factor when protecting hundres of thousands of dollars worth of stock....I dont think that a dollar saved here or there will really bother too many securitel (security minded) customers.

With the positioning of DW pricing, COST will not become the defining factor, but more to the point let us hope that they migrate to a service which not only meets but exceeds the soon to be released Australian Standard covering the Transmission of Alarm Signals. I guess that in time Insurance companies will also have a say in the decision making process.

But then again with consideration to the huge savings made when comparred to Securitel....I would say that DW is well placed.

Thanks

Exclamation No dispute

No Brainer represents DW and as a manufacturer has this forum to himself so dont expect anything constructive in this discussion if manufacturers are allowed to hi jack it.

Would be better if the members of the forum were allowed to voice thier opinion without hinderance from any manufacturer, after all the manufacturer has a barrow to push so its advice is always going to be biased.

This thread was about costs not what was better or worse.

The device released by DW is the cheapest around and a little birdy told me that the bank that has arrived at its decision based on price not on security. It is also possible that the devices are not actually for the banks per say but for bank staff homes. There is a difference in percieved risk between the two.

Thats an example of the manufacturer giving you biased information.

As far as the others go there was a heated discussion on this forum some time ago and as I recall it ended up something like this

• There was some concern about delivery of all polls end to end
    • also concern about public versus private but you have already been hit with that again
    • a discussion about an independant study
    • Suretek has a great product with different redundant paths and a tried and true delivery method.
    • Fratech has a great product with more than one type of redundant path.
    • Permaconn has a product that is getting better all the time and will soon have multiple sim cards so you can use more than one telco to get better odds of getting thru. But dont be fooled into thinking they can both operate at the same time.

Prices vary but even the banks have discovered the power or bargaining when there are quantities involved.

Thanks

If I were you JAMMEDIT, I'd get a new source because that little birdy is way off the mark - The DW units are NOT for bank staff homes and cost had absolutely NOTHING to do with the choice of DW. A fair amount of homework was apparently done prior to making their decision.

And by the way, which units meet the new Aust Standards??

Thanks

Default Still waiting...

My Question to No Brainer is who has private and who has public GPRS ?

Thanks

Yep - but they don't.

Pull your head in Steve. I can through insults as good. I am not been suckered into your lame pommy crap.

Wasting your breath Jtek.

Goes both ways.

Sydneytech...IP alarms answered your question.

Thanks

Interesting thread.
    A lot of first posters could be labled as spammers etc.

where is the love....

Hey how about we all get together and build a private network. Australia wide. I can get a great price on fiber. anybody got a trenching machine ??
    DYI's invited
    thread.

• Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast