Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Hot Water System Dying - Solar Options

Thanks

Default Electric Hot Water System Dying - Solar Options

Goes Like this.
    My Electric Hot Water Unit is on its way out Slowly,
    She sprung first a leak up top beside the Anode Bolt which I filled with a screw then Mixed up some Epoxy Resin which has sealed her up nicely, No More Leaks from that spot.
    a few days later I Noticed in the top element section a bit of water so I guess she has another leak somewhere - Possibly on the seam at top of tank somewhere so its looking like its nearly time to Upgrade.
    I Had issue with the top element a few months ago so it was disconnected, As I live alone hot water has been fine with only the one element.
    the existing unit is a Rheem twin element model approx 300 ltrs.
    I have been around to the local plumbing mob and got a quote on Solar.
    As I have a Gas Line out front I am not allowed to get the electric backup model which I would have preferred.
    From what Mal (The Local Bloke who came over to organize quote for me ) I have to go GAS backup as Gas is provided in my street.
    I was hoping to avoid the extra service charge and get electric Backup.
    He is doing me a quote and said its best way to go is Solar panel with gas backup, he said approx $6000 but Government gives approx $3700 back in rebates and to get gas to my property apparently there is a $200 rebate as well to get it hooked up to Water Heater.
    Has Anybody got this done, looking at the savings over say a 2 - 3 year period, Mal said save around $300 of my power bill but would that just go to gas service charges anyway.
    I'll update once I get the Quote tomorrow or next day.

Cheers
    Mutanti

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Do a search on a recent thread by me in regards to Quantum heat pumps. Its the option I will be taking when my current unit dies.

I think there has been another solar thread recently from memory so it might be worth 2 searches.

Thanks

I gotta tell you I recently replaced my 300l gas storage tank after 8 years with an inline solar/gas unit and it's GREAT! It's an Eternity G20 instantaneous backing up a 300l solar unit. There are about half a dozen brands on the market in Oz. Rinaii seem to advertise the most and they're probably the most expensive but they all work in a similar way and they all seem to be manufactured in Japan. The beauty is that you can set an optimum temp, say 55 degrees and the gas unit won't switch itself on unless it senses the solar water is not hot enough. You can (optionally) set different temps for say kitchen, laundry etc. I guess it's probably ideally suited to a family situation but for one person you'll probably not use much gas at all in the summer months but it works a treat through winter and dull days and doesn't constantly burn a pilot light. Haven't done the maths yet but my gas bill is definitely lower than usual.

Thanks

He gave me Brochure from Edwards, He was saying it does not actually run water threw the solar panel but Glycol or whatever its called.
    He said as there the service agent for the others as well Last year when we had a cold snap of -4 Deg they were swamped with call outs where this one wont freeze up or crack like the other ones do.

Thanks

No problems with cold snaps here on the west coast so the glycol heat transfer is not really an option except in certain rural areas. There's also another NZ heat transfer solar unit that's getting pretty popular using evacuated glass tubes. It's call the Apricus. They claim 40% more of the sun's energy is harnessed than flat panels. Might be overkill in your situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Off topic but going by your leaks it sounds like your pressure relief valve was stuck shut.

A reminder to members to regularly operate this valve, it cleans out the rubbish stuck inside it and frees the valve.

Water dripping out of it when heating water (pressure building) is a good thing.

If it sticks shut the pressure buildup inside the HWS will cause it to crack.

Thanks

Valve is Fine.
    It leaks when its supposed to leak...
    water is collecting in the top Heating element section then leaking down the side.. I think its leaking somewhere on the top welded seam under the insulation somewhere...
    I believe a Local Plumber who lived here Installed it when he was living here approx 13 year Ago or so. Ive owned the house Since Mid 1999

Thanks

Just been reading the Other Post.
    Very Interesting about the heat Pumps.

Only Issue I can see is the Noise when Running at Between 50 - 58 DBA @ 1.5 Meters
    But that would save me having to get the Gas connected and then another monthly bill...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mutanti View Post
    Just been reading the Other Post.
    Very Interesting about the heat Pumps.

Only Issue I can see is the Noise when Running at Between 50 - 58 DBA @ 1.5 Meters
    But that would save me having to get the Gas connected and then another monthly bill...

I am not 100% sure of the noise factor but I dont think it would be much louder than my split system's ( 8 and 9 KW ) outdoor inverter.

Let us know if you do go with the heatpump. The only thing that stopped me was not being eligable for one of the rebates It sounds like a good option for your situation.

Thanks

I Still have to work out Cost of unit minus the Rebates for the Heat pump and how long it would take to get itself paid of / Actually start saving a $..
    I need to work out $$$ against How much longer I intend to live in My Home or Will I be moving into A New one in the next 3 years or so with the housing market the way its going.
    I supposed it may add to the value of the house if Its cheaper to run.

I'm Not yet totally sure on what rebates I can receive and cost of the heat pump...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I have an LG 8.4kw inverter and find that the only time there is any real noise is when it freezes on a heavy frosty morning. I makes a thrumming noise. It shuts itself down for 10mins while it de ices and then starts up again.

I have found over the last two winters that the heat pump is more economical than the electric heating I had before.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

I Have a Fujitsu Inverter Air Con / Heater AST24LBAJ & AOT24LMADL
    It make a bit of noise, Mounted outside 2nd bedroom window more or less.
    Humming noise is heard from Main bedroom at night but its not to bad inside.
    Don't think I would like to be sleeping in second bedroom when its running at 3am lol.. lucky I live alone.
    I would assume that the Noise from My Air con is going to be similar...

Thanks

OK I Have Quote..
    Edwards GTS 270 2 Panel Gas Boost Soalr HWS
    ***Disconnection of existing unit
    ***Placememt of 2 Solar Panels facing north
    ***Gas Boosted Tank In Existing tank position
    ***Connection to pipework and valves
    ***Compliance & Warranty Certs

Supply & Instyallation of unit $5766
    Vic Gov rebate $2300
    Recs Rebate $1394

Cost to Client - Thats Me $2072

What are those quantum heat pumps worth ???

Administrator
    Thanks

I cant give you an exact amount but with those 2 rebates I think it was going to cost well under a $1000.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok I found the email I got.

The price was $665 after the Vic government and RECS rebate. That is for the 270 litre model. They also have a payment plan if you want to pay it off.

The price is based on replacement of an existing electric service. I have an info pack pdf and consumer brochure pdf if you want me to email them to you. If so send me an email via the forum and I will attach them and send them back.

Thanks

there's a new Rheem heat pump coming out very soon, supposed to be far more efficient than competitors or so the sales people talk them up

Thanks

My hot water tank died the same death. The sacrificial anode corroded away completely, and then the elements started being eaten away and then the plug in the top of the tank started dissolving and water was bubbling out the top.

Another symptom you may or may not notice is the chunks of red oxide in your water. Run a bathtub full of hot and it will be orangey red.

I bit the bullet and bought a Rheem 24 litre instant gas (like the rinnai infinity). The path of logic I followed was that I saw no point in storing 300 litres of hot water for up to 12 hours at a time. And also the taps in this crappy old house are separate for hot and cold.
    So when you wash your hands, you dial up 40 degree water, turn the hot tap on and get warm enough hand washing temperature water. The dog takes his bath at 38 degrees.

The ideal temp for a shower is 43 degrees, and we turn the hot tap on only. So if the water is 20 degrees ambient, the unit heats it to 43 degrees instantly and spits it out.

Storing 300 litres of 55 degree hot water, and then cooling it down to 43 degree shower temperature with some cold water seems like a waste to me.

We already had the gas on for the heater, so the costs were:
    Rheem instant 24 - $800 on special.
    Plumber - $800
    Gov rebate - $300
    = $1300 out of pocket.

Thanks

Sacrificial Anode is Fine,
    I Check & Replace every 2 - 3 years ore so.
    Still half there.
    Water is Clean - No Probs at all.
    Just think mine must have been made on a Friday Arvo.
    I am leaning towards the Heat Pumps from the reading Ive done so far as I don't want to get Gas meter hooked up as it will be just another Expense / every quarter etc when it can be Cost effective threw a heat pump and still be a lot cheaper than my existing Electric HWS.
    My Last Power Bill With Country Energy was just over $200 so Im Not a Big power user anyway. Heat Pumps use little power from what i have read so far as opposed to Electric HWS

Administrator
    Thanks

Email replied to Mutanti

Thanks

Got It - Thank You..
    Gas IS Available to my property so I will also have issues getting the Govermant rebate by the looks..

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast