Thread: PLEASE HELP: Cannot delete User account in Vista CPanel!!

Thanks

Default PLEASE HELP: Cannot delete User account in Vista CPanel!!

OK here's an explanation of what has happened so far;

- Lost/forgotten password for my main administrator account on ym VISTA Home lappy...
    - Downloaded and used Hiren's BOOT CD, usign password changer
    - In the DOS screen, it came up with 3 accounts, which were:
    1) "X" (being mine)
    2) "Administratior" not in existance and
    3) "Guest" (currently turned OFF)
    - Thinking my MAIN account was the ADMINITRATOR account, I selected this, even though no password was on there to even be RESET, it was nevertheless done, so that on bootup, GUEST, X, ADMIn accounts (all 3 now visible)

Obviosuly realising i selected the wrong account, i eventually followed this procedure again, had the password on account "X" removed. Everything is gravy as far as resetting the password...and by the way, "X" is also an admin account (as it wa spreviously the only one).

Now, for some reason, i cannot delete the "ADMINISTRATOR" account which of course has everything standard/default screens when you open the account as if it was being used for the first time...It's almost this has like, defaulted and re-opened...obviously done something stupid which i cant even fix.

I can log into "X" being my usual account i've had since i created it upon buying the computer, but WHY is it, that i 'COULD' delete my OWN account (since delete option is displayed in UNDER ACCOUNTS), but cannot delete the ADMIN account when both "X" and "ADMINISTRATOR" are 2 admin-power accounts?

++++++++++++

I never had this problem before, going back a week BEFORE i went to lengths to remove/change my password, i could easily ADD another ADMIN account and delete it whenever, but not i DONT have the option and i CANNOT turn the account off???

All i want is to have "X" being the main, most-common and ONLY-used admin account on my PC, with no Guest and no other kind of admin account...

Any suggestions?

Anything would be much appreciated for your troubles...

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

The Administrator account you are referring to is the "Super Admin" account built in with multi user operating systems similar to the "Administrator" account when you first load XP. This is the godlike account, there are ways of disabling this account but not deleting it. If you can see the Administrator account in Vista on the logon screen, chances are it has been enabled and it will have no password as default, if this is the case the you can go to the command prompt and type in the following to disable it again;

Make sure you are logged on in your regular user account, and then open an command prompt (run as administrator). Type the following command:

net user administrator /active:no

Thanks

Can't you just go in and delete the Administrator account in Control panel\User Accounts\Add or remover user Accounts ?

Thanks

No i can't DND... But thanks for the input...Especially intelli, i finally have the situation fixed after a very simple DOS command.

This begs the question; why in THEE hell was my original admin account that i logged in as/created initially not the god-like super admin account? At evne though its fixed, its not the current setup...

Cheers
    RoOSTA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roosta View Post
    No i can't DND... But thanks for the input...Especially intelli, i finally have the situation fixed after a very simple DOS command.

This begs the question; why in THEE hell was my original admin account that i logged in as/created initially not the god-like super admin account? At evne though its fixed, its not the current setup...

Cheers
    RoOSTA
    I think it's a way the multi-user OS works, one of those if all else fails then you have a super admin to fix things. When I first set up Vista I found it odd that even though I was Admin I still needed to run applications as "Administrator" in order for them to work correctly. This as I find out later, is UAC or User Account Control.

UAC uses the “least privileges” rule. All users and software run with the least privileges possible at all times. Any time a user or software needs administrative privileges a consent prompt pops up.

Although UAC consent prompts can be annoying at first, here are a few reasons why UAC is good.

You’re in control

Nothing can happen without you knowing that needs administrative approval. This stops unauthorised changes to your computer.

File and registry virtualisation

If software needs access to a file or registry location with administrative access, UAC creates a virtual location or “sandpit” for the software so that no damage can be done to the system.

You can learn more about Vista UAC at M$ tech center.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post

UAC uses the “least privileges” rule. All users and software run with the least privileges possible at all times. Any time a user or software needs administrative privileges a consent prompt pops up.
    I have it turned off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    I have it turned off
    Me too. annoyed the absolute hell out of me in the early stagesparticular because i am the ONLY user on my computer...

Anyway thanks to everyone for their input, very thankful and GLAD to have my problem quite easily solved by intelli!

RoOSTA