Thread: Bosch Divar

Thanks

Default Bosch Divar

On Monday I have to go and have a go at a Bosch 9 Channel Divar. The problem with it is that once or twice a week channel 3 will be showing "video loss" I can guarantee that when I get there I can plug in my test monitor and get a perfect picture from that camera and as soon as I reboot the channel will be back. Appearantly the customer has been pulling the mains plug and reinsterting it for ages and it always comes straight back but for some reason two or three days later it will be gone again.

Any suggestions? I have called Bosch about this in the past and not gotten any solutions. Just a "hmmm haven't heard of that before".

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Please check the firmware version and report back. Firmware version 2.30 and earlier have a known problem with handling of "bad" images.

Version 2.31 release includes the bug fix for conditions when bad video stops recording (with only motion recording) or the video will not be displayed after the video signal is returned.

So in a nutshell there could be an intermittent problem with the camera that when it loses video for any reason, the DVR won't redisplay the picture once it comes back, hence the video feed present with your test monitor and when the customer power cycles the unit.

You could always put your scope on the video feed and check that the signal is 1vp-p and that the signal looks clean etc.

I can't believe Bosch couldn't help you out there. Sometimes I wonder about tech support guys, seems most have no experience in the field and refer to troubleshooting cheat sheets with common FAQ's.

Thanks

Be aware that the Divar firmware is now up to 2.35, so speak with bosch about a copy of the update tool divarload.exe and a copy of the new firmware.

Thanks

Take a "humbug" or similar isolating device with you. I found that the Divar locks the associated port out if there is any stray voltages but doesn't re-enable that port if the problem goes away.

Banned
    Thanks

Check your connections also,
    I just changed 21 bnc's the other day cleaning up a large cctv install,
    cables taped to the pole outside, cables scotch locked and taped over outside, cables exposed outside,
    main reason for video loss I have found is bad terminations / connectors/ poor installation techniques.

Thanks

Version update, scope and humbug. Roger

Job delayed till tomorrow now so all good. I checked all the BNC's and power supply last time I was there. The problem is isolated to just this one camera for some reason and I have a feeling it might for some reason "shut down" for some weird reason every now and then. So I am hoping the version update and humbug will fix the issue. Its a shame I cant be there when the fault arrises and the log on the divar shows bugger all.

Thanks

Don't forget to report back with your finding.

Thanks

Well ... it seems to be sorted. Not without a few hair raising moments though.

As expected I arrived onsite and found 2 (not 1) camera's down on the DVR. Connected my test monitor to each of them at the DVR end and found each one of them to be fine. I didn't have a scope with me but that didn't matter in the end because I am pretty sure I found the issue. Both Camera's were Samsung Day/Night numbers and the only two of their kind on the system. Just to see what would happen I stuck my hand over the lens and blow me down if it didnt loose signal for just a split second while it was changing mode. AHA!!

Went back to the DVR and checked the version ... 1.something AHA!!!

Connected Lappy and went through the firmware update procedure. Rebooted and checked system, NOTHING!!!!!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!
    Luckily though the lappy would still connect but none of the buttons were working and it wouldnt record. After a frantic call to Bosch it was decided to try and redo the firmware again. 30 minutes later things were working again pheww!!!!

End result. Customer is happy which I guess is all that matters. I am not expecting any more issues with loosing the cams. (fingers crossed)

Cheers for your help guys

Thanks

I thought so, have had the same problem with other DVR's (especially older ones) and day/night cameras. That split second when the IR filter is turns on or off causes temporary video loss. Glad to see it's working mate.

Thanks

hmmm interesting to know guys. I have had the same issue with the Divars ages ago.

Something to look for on other DVRs as well you reckon George?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Something to look for on other DVRs as well you reckon George?
    Might be a possibility, some DVR's were just designed to skip the feed if the video loss occurs. (stops the DVR using resources to try and sync with the cam)

Remember, the recording of frames in a DVR relies on the clock which is usually derived from the sync pulse edges, if the DVR cannot sync with the image it could result in poor decoding of the color signal and/or resulting in video loss.

Some companies like Bosch have fixed the issue in their firmware, some other systems could be the same, at the end of the day they all operate on the same principles. The only difference is the compression formats used, GUI etc.

Thanks

Heh .... here's a little trick I learned a few weeks ago.

Installed a Honeywell 16 Channel a few months back. Customer rings the next week and says Camera 1 keeps going down. So I go back and check it all out, can't find anything wrong. Look at log, sure enough Cam 1 down from 4 am to 7 am ... a few other cams going of and on randomly. "Weird" I say to myself. Check all the connections, check voltages, check camera's. Nothing wrong.
    So I am thinking its an external issue, as the building is on 3 phase power I am thinking maybe its getting out of phase even though line lock is on, or maybe Voltages drop low when they start one of their large machines. So I centralise all the power and install yet more power supplies even though there should be plenty there.

Next day same issue. Swap out the offending Camera, next day same issue. So the next mornign I am there at 4AM to see the issue as its happening. Camera 1 showing video loss on main monitor but the spot monitor is still showing the camera fine. Swap out the DVR as I have no other suggestions. Same bloody problem. I am really scratching my head now. I get tech support to log in and have a look. They cant find anything wrong either and send an email of to the factory. A few days later I get a message. "In options check video obscuration" So i go there and check it ... sure enough its set to 17. Switch it off. Problem solved.

I didnt even know it had that feature lol.
    All that work for a damn tick box!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArjanH View Post
    A few days later I get a message. "In options check video obscuration" So i go there and check it ... sure enough its set to 17. Switch it off. Problem solved.

I didnt even know it had that feature lol.
    All that work for a damn tick box!!!!!
    As frustrating as it was, but i bet you never forget to check that tick box again.

Thanks

LOL yeah. Won't forget that one in a hurry.

Also learned that when installing new equipment to take the installer manual home and have a read the night before.