Thread: Xbox Live, wired vs wireless perfomance

Thanks

Default Xbox Live, wired vs wireless perfomance

Well im sick of crap connections and lag when playing on Xbox live. Currently im using a wireless N router and the Microsoft network a+b+g adaptor with a1500/256k adsl connection.

So my question is will changing from wireless to wired improve my connection quality? Or is it a case of not having fast enough adsl?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Get yourself a long cable and test your live gaming with it. This will tell you if it is related to your wireless setup.
    Otherwise my wild guess will be your ISP is not the best.
    Also, when you say the connection is crap, what do you experience; dropouts or slow connection?

Thanks

I would say its more your ISP then wireless.(Who you with?)
    Unless the wireless signal is that low it just drops packets all over the place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
    I would say its more your ISP then wireless.(Who you with?)
    Unless the wireless signal is that low it just drops packets all over the place.

That would be my guess but thought i would ask the question. Im with Internode. The router and Xbox are only about 400mm apart with a stud wall between them so signal strength and quality shouldnt be an issue.

fromaron,
    Thats what i would do if i had a cable, again i thought i would ask the question before going out to buy a cable that i have no other use for.

But since adsl2 isnt an option i guess i will just have to put up with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper5150 View Post
    Well im sick of crap connections and lag when playing on Xbox live. Currently im using a wireless N router and the Microsoft network a+b+g adaptor with a1500/256k adsl connection.

So my question is will changing from wireless to wired improve my connection quality? Or is it a case of not having fast enough adsl?
    Im not sure if it will fix your lag issues, but if you are having issues with the logging into live and the number of servers then set your x360 addy to static and forward portd 88 & 3074 both UDP & TCP to the x360 - we had major issues with the number of servers to log into and this made a huge difference

f

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Think of it this way. Your ISP is serving you 1.5Mb/s (good luck if u get it all), your wireless is 54Mb/s and wired is 100Mb/s.

It makes no difference as your bandwidth from your ISP is a lot less then the bandwidth of both wired and wireless network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    It makes no difference as your bandwidth from your ISP is a lot less then the bandwidth of both wired and wireless network.
    Lagging issues are not really caused by bandwidth, not at least when you transfer little data.
    Viper, can you do a tracert command to one of your servers and publish the result. We can do simillar with another ISP and compare the route.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Think of it this way. Your ISP is serving you 1.5Mb/s (good luck if u get it all), your wireless is 54Mb/s and wired is 100Mb/s.

Thats basically what i needed to know, if the higher transfer speeds of a wired connection will make a difference or not. And it looks like it wont.

Oh and of the 1.5Mb/s i get around 1.3Mb/s, which isnt too bad considering i am quite a long way from the exchange.