Thread: grease nipples

Thanks

Default grease nipples

Hi All,
    is it possible to drill+tap these modern tie-rod ends and Ball joints to fit grease nipples?
    A local mechanic tells me you can't because they're synthetic lube and sealed unit and can only be replaced when the lubricant drys out.

Dash.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Talking PreLubed nipples

dont play with the nipples they have been prelubed & dont need to be touched [sorry r we talking about the samething ]
    They will last a life time and stay firm if u dont touch them
    yes he's right dont drill them

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Yes and no.

You could do it but you would get metal inside the joint after drilling and tapping the thread making it pointless considering you have shortened its life.

Also remember the biggest problem with grease-able joints is the excess grease perishing the rubber boots.

I use to think the same way years ago when i was a lot younger and have at times managed to find some replacements that are grease-able.

Todays better quality replacements are sealed units with quality grease and better quality internal components. They last more than long enough and in many cases outlast the old units with the nipples because the rubber does not perish.

Ive seen the cheaper quality ones wear out in less than 80,000km.

My experience with tie rod ends and ball joints wearing quickly comes down to worn shockers and heavy suspension loading such as wide or under inflated tires fitted.

Thanks

depends on vehicle really, if 4x4 then most good aftermarket parts(spring shakles drive trains steering) have grease nipples the OEM and car maunufacturer leave them out to save cost they don't care about life of part (ford won a court case in USA when an owner sued them because his car rusted after 18 months ford defence was they only build cars for a year)

You would be suprised at what manufacturers will do to save a few cents.
    if part is good leave alone if loose in the old days and no grease nipple we would heat grease and joint in a pot and and work grease into joint when runny