Thread: Overseas Phone Calls Telling clients they have Issues

Thanks

Default Overseas Phone Calls Telling clients they have Issues

Last week I had a Client call me saying they had a phone call from what seemed to be from overseas type call center with asian voice - hard to understand type.
    this person was telling my client that she had an issue with her computer and that he could fix it from there.
    he then went on to say it was critical that the problem gets fixed and that he can do it cheap.
    he then went on to asking for her card details when my client finally woke up and smelled a rat thanks to another friend she had over as well.
    she said that after awhile the person was becoming agitated trying to get her to accept.
    They then rang me up out of hours to ask me about it.

A few days later on Saturday night I received another phone call from another client with very similar details to the above. but she just said she would call her computer man. the person was telling her that he could fix it for her then and there but my client hung up been skeptical..

Well tonight a mate rang me saying he had the same call, not being the computer type of person he said he would just give me a call and the person was then pushing to say he could fix the Whatever issue for $100. he claimed to be from microsoft and that my friends computer sent his computer the problem.
    My Mates computer is a fresh install as I just got him a new motherboard so He was skeptical there was any issue, but he was alarmed by he call and rang me straight away.
    My Mate only has Dial up and very crappy dial up at that as he is far out of town.
    he got a Phone number and name which appear to be fake.
    Sam - PH 280147593 the caller was reluctant to give any details apart from he was from microsoft...

Anyone heard of this scam as yet..
    be warned and Don't give any Access or banking details...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mutanti For This Useful Post:

best4less (10-09-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

thanks for the heads up

Thanks

4th Local I Know with same call.....
    I sent messages to a lot of my clients and another one messaged me this morning saying they also had the call...

they must be targeting the local area....

Thanks

probably going thru the white pages online using skype or voip.

I had a call the other night from a skype connection, 10pm and some fkwit retard asking me if I can help him fix up his life problems.

Thanks

4 Clients in total have received this call.. I went to local paper and she is going to put a comment in local paper to warn locals about the calls, Also spoke to police but they said cant do anything till they rip of somebody....

Thanks

They're probably using that website where the "pages" are "grey" to get the numbers.

Thanks

I can tell you that when i take Manager Calls i do NOT credit any account and i .... I'm dealing with AT&T Mobility, who seems to believe that they have zero responsibility ... OR you can have the service blocked it just takes a phone call. .... The issue though is some of it is common knowlege that international!

Thanks

I've heard of this scam and have also had problems with personal info being compromised. Has anyone heard of or had random charges from Beta Max Credit Cologne placed on their credit card without consent?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

hmmmmm sniff sniff,

how come a first time poster just happens to zero in on this thread

Thanks

Yes I can fix all this for you...

Send me $20 and I will make all your troubles go away, No more phone calls.

HEHE

But seriously do a search on SCAMWATCH a part of DOCEP. report to them so they are aware.

Cheers

Thanks

Found this on Google, seems like the scam has being going on for ages. Anyway, never give your bank details to phone scammers!

( - 29 Nov 2008Ethan ph 61 280147593 (not connected)
    told us $24 to register and they would see what was wrong with the computer as they had been notified that our computer had 50+ viruses and needed immediate attention as we would get error messages and PC is slow. We confirmed there would be a one of fee of $24 that was all we would be paying. We soon received an email we were charged $230. Unable to call to ask what was going on I sent email and they called us. Told us we had agreed to $230 support for software we spoked to owner, Kevin Watson, good name for a guy with a strong Indian accent. He said it was all recorded which is great as I want a copy as no time during the conversatin did we agree to paying anything other than $24 no mention of 2yr support at all. Hopefully I will get that recording/transcript and determine if it was tampered with at all.Caller: Support OnClick
    Caller Type: Telemarketer)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Bet I could fly to the Moon on Gosomer Wings before the writer ever receives a recording/transcript of the conversation allegedly made.
    Basically it comes down to hanging up once you realise the call is a Con Job. I dont believe it would be out of place before you do hang up, to cast some doubts on the callers gender,parentage, their parentage and the good health of the company and all who work there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Bet I could fly to the Moon on Gosomer Wings before the writer ever receives a recording/transcript of the conversation allegedly made.
    Basically it comes down to hanging up once you realise the call is a Con Job. I dont believe it would be out of place before you do hang up, to cast some doubts on the callers gender,parentage, their parentage and the good health of the company and all who work there.

Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the effort. It really helps a lot.